PDA

View Full Version : Micro Mesh tip

Brian Brown
03-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I have trouble keeping my micro mesh in the right order. The color chart they include is not very color accurate, and after the MM has been used, it is hard to tell which color is which. It is hard to write a number on the pad because it wears off, or is covered by the sanding dust. So, to make it easy to keep my grits in order, I use a marker on the side with a series of dots that mark each grit.

Scott Conners
03-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Thank you! This is a great solution to a problem I've had too! I'm going to do this RIGHT NOW!

Edit: Done! I'll add a tip of my own: I cut out the little chart from the packaging of the Micro-Mesh that shows the grit comparisons between micromesh, ANSI/CAMI and FEPA/Euro grits. It's really useful to be able to tell which grits mean what, especially in the higher grits where P1000 is only the same as 500 ANSI. I tape mine to the back of the color card that comes with the Micro-Mesh.

Brian Effinger
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Great idea Brian. I'll have to do that with my own.

George Clark
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I've had exactly the same problem.:mad: I will copy your solution.:) Thanks for posting.

George

Bill Bulloch
03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Brian, Here is what I do with my sand paper. I make a holder by cutting slots in a piece of 2x4 wide enough to hole the paper. Then, put them in order in the holder. You can keep track of what's what as long as you only remove one at a time.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing Brian.

Kevin N Brown
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Good idea on thinking outside the pad.

Brian Brown
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Bill,

That is a great idea, but I am so "not that organized". I think your idea would work better if there was a very thin spacer between the pads, so that the pads rubbing each other wouldn't rub the abrasive off the pads.

Allen Neighbors
03-10-2009, 1:03 PM
Brilliant idea for the MM pads!! Thanks for posting, and sharing your idea!

Allen Neighbors
03-10-2009, 1:14 PM
Brian, Here is what I do with my sand paper. I make a holder by cutting slots in a piece of 2x4 wide enough to hole the paper. Then, put them in order in the holder. You can keep track of what's what as long as you only remove one at a time.

Bill, here's another idea for paper storage. It's called a sandpaper tree.
A piece of 1/2" or 5/8" allthread, with 7 pairs of "fingers" separated by short pieces of tubing. Tighten a nut on top, and the fingers hold separate pieces of sandpaper, keeping them from getting mixed up. I put a peanut can on top, to hold my steel wool.
I'll post a pic, if anyone's interested.

Don Orr
03-10-2009, 1:33 PM
Thanks Brian-quite a difference between new and used in the second pic.