PDA

View Full Version : Tool Belt or Apron For the Shop

Steve Kohn
03-09-2009, 9:12 PM
I was just reading another thread about "Good Light Weight Finish Hammer" and Rick Lucrezi mentioned starting another thread about what kind of tool belt or apron they wear in the shop.

So I am doing so.

I am a hobbiest who ears a two pocket construction belt around the waist with a set of suspenders to take the load off my back. I typically only carry my ear protection, dust collector remote, pencils, nail sets, square, a flat blade and phillip screwdriver, a knife, a 16 oz. hammer, and tape measure so the load isn't signicant. However, I always seem to be getting the tool pouches caught on stuff in the shop.

What do you guys use?

Myk Rian
03-09-2009, 9:15 PM
I have a shop coat and an apron. The tools I use for a project are usually on the work bench within easy reach. The less I have to carry around, the better.

Pat Germain
03-09-2009, 9:26 PM
I agree with Myk. I use a shop apron. I can't imagine using a tool belt in the shop. If I was on a job site, I'm sure the tool belt would be great.

If you're going to buy a shop apron, pony up for a good one. I made the mistake of buying a cheap apron the first tim. The pockets blew out within a couple of weeks.

Tony Bilello
03-09-2009, 9:44 PM
If the apron comes with lower pockets, I cut them off. They only get caught on stuff. I build furniture and all of my tools are either stationary or close by.

I always think of a tool belt associated with construction type work where you are working on/in very large areas and pretty much use the same tools consistantly.

So, the answer would be the typical "depends on what you do".

Peter Gregory
03-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't carry around anything, beyond my mechanical pencil. I have a workbench with drawers.

Andrew Joiner
03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I wear a Skillers tool vest in the shop. I love it. It's over 30 years old and still works great. I've repaired it many times with hot melt glue. I can afford a new one, but my dad grew up in the depression and he taught me right!

My shop is 1200 square feet and it saves a lot of steps.

I have boxes of screws that fit the pouches, very handy when building something big. So nice to have the right screw or tool within reach,rather than 10 or 30 feet away.
The vest is more comfortable than a tool belt because the weight hangs from the shoulders.

Jack Roberts
03-09-2009, 10:59 PM
I bought a Carhart tool apron but seldom use it. When I do wear it I pull it around to my side, it seems to be less in the way there.

Jeff Bratt
03-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Recent thread on the subject... http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99407

Scott Wigginton
03-10-2009, 6:40 AM
Popular Woodworking had a review of shop aprons in their June 2003 issue. I can't hit their site from here but a quick search found this link (http://stage.popwood.com/upload/contents/335/aprons.0603.pdf) to a pdf which should work.

I'm trying to make the same decision, narrowed it down to:
Hartville Canvas Shop Apron (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10995)
Duluth Canvas Bib Apron (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/tools-shop/coats-aprons/69133.aspx?feature=product_3)
Duluth Best Damn Fire Hose Apron (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/tools-shop/coats-aprons/22603.aspx?feature=product_4#)

Jeff Willard
03-10-2009, 6:52 AM
Leather apron purchased from Garrett Wade years ago. Good defense against errant chisels.:eek: No lower pockets. Only tools carried in/on it are a pencil, 6" flexible rule, scriber, and sometimes a tape measure clipped to the waist strap.

Rod Sheridan
03-10-2009, 7:16 AM
I carry a mechanical pencil and a 6" ruler in my Lee Valley shop apron.

Everything else is at hand since I'm working in a shop....Rod.

Lee Schierer
03-10-2009, 7:44 AM
I prefer wearing this Veritas tool belt from Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/assorted/magnetictoolbelt-dsp2.jpg
It also helps keep me steady while working on my table saw or jointer. :eek:

Kevin Stobb
03-10-2009, 9:52 AM
This is all I ever really need to have on me. Its small, out of the way and does not fill with sawdust. I have an eraser and a scribe that you can't see in the big pocket. Everything else is just to big and bulky. First thing I do is put this on when I get in the shop, and last thing I take off before the lights go down.

Eric DeSilva
03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
My wife made me a shop apron which I wear occasionally. The only thing I carry in the pockets seems to be sawdust.

On the other hand, if I could find a little clip on holster for my Bosch 10.8V driver... That I would carry...

Don Morris
03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
When my son and I walk into the shop we put on our Woodcraft shop aprons. They have upper pockets and lower pockets. In the upper pockets we keep, pens, pencils, and a 6" metal ruler. In the lower we keep a 12' tape measure, and the remote for the dust collection. This leaves 2 pockets empty for whatever else the project may require, usually nothing that isn't within reach. The apron is also a safety item I bought after my first kickback (10 mins after putting together my first table saw).

Steve Clardy
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Tried a small tool pouch years back. Nope
Tried a apron here while back. Nope

All I have is a clip on my belt for a tape, and my hat to hold my pencil behind my ear.

Mark Grotenhuis
03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I am a hobbiest who wears a two pocket construction belt around the waist with a set of suspenders to take the load off my back. I typically only carry my ear protection, dust collector remote, pencils, nail sets, square, a flat blade and phillip screwdriver, a knife, a 16 oz. hammer, and tape measure so the load isn't signicant. However, I always seem to be getting the tool pouches caught on stuff in the shop.

That's exactly what I wear minus the suspenders. I've been wearing a tool belt for so long I feel naked without it. You do catch things on it once in a while, but I never have to remember where I set my tape or where that blasted pencil went.

Rob Diz
03-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I sometimes use my BucketBoss shop apron. It's comfortable (doesn't ride up on my neck) and it carries what I need - lots of pencils, a few sharpies, a 6 inch starrett rule, lots of sawdust in the pockets, and whatever small bits I am using/needing. I will periodically leave a tape measure, or a small hand plane in there, but only if I will constantly be using it and don't want to run around to figure out where I "Just" put them down.

When I am finishing in my "nicer" clothes, I have a long shop apron that covers up my front from damage from the accidental bump.

Cody Colston
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
All I have is a clip on my belt for a tape, and my hat to hold my pencil behind my ear.

Ditto...except I hang my 12' tape on my watch pocket.

I wear a tool belt when doing outside carpentry but I can't see the practicality of one in the shop. I mean, even if you don't have something handy, how far away can it be for most of us? It's not like our shops are these big cavernous buildings with yards of room between tools. :)

John Gornall
03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't like aprons or tool belts in the shop. I like vests like Mr. Lie Nielsen wears. Comfortable, pencil and 6 inch rule in chest pockets, small tape in one lower pocket, 4 inch square in the other.

I wish someone would make a vest specifically for the shop. Pencil slots at the chest, a couple super magnets sewn in to hang small rules, and 2 lower pockets sized just right for small tapes and small squares. Not overdone with 104 pockets! A shop friendly fabric that is tough and isn't a dust magnet. 2 versions - warm for winter and mesh backed cool version for summer. And appearance suitable to wear to town - I'd probably wear one all the time.

Greg Narozniak
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I have used one of these for the past year and cannot live without it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/98320.aspx?feature=&kw=apron

Pencil, Tape Measure, DC Remote, 4" engineer square, Pencils, Sharpie, Sheetrock knife always with me.

My shop is usually a mess and when I put something down it disappears so this has been a huge time saver for me

Paul Steiner
03-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I use a full tool belt on the site. I need it, love it, keeps everything close. In the shop I usually do not carry anything that will not go in a shirt pocket. But...
My father gave me a 5.11 tactical blouse or shirt (http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Fire-EMS/Shirts/Tactical-Shirts/511-Tactical-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-Cotton/D/30100/P/1:100:20000:20200:20202/I/72157) it is fantastic. I would like to get one for everyday of the week. Rugged, comfortable, pen pockets in the sleeve, and 4 pockets on the chest.
Definitely worth trying out.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I mentioned this in the previous thread but I never wore one until Festool came out with one and so I decided to try it.

I'm a convert now! It is really nice having everything I need on my person. Cody, I may have my shop in a 20x20 garage but I'm terrible for putting things down and not being able to locate them again. I seriously bet you that wearing an apron probably saves me 1-2 hours of total time per week that I would waste looking for my stuff.

I'll be an apron wearer from here on out. :) Besides, LOML likes how I look in one! ;) :D :D

About the only thing I don't like about the Festool apron is that if I need to bend over to pick something up off the floor, and I'm not careful, my apron will empty. :(

Andy Pratt
03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I've been wearing an apron for the last two years and I'm sick of it. It always bears on my neck, the top of my rule gets caught on stuff and it's hot in the summer. As soon as I saw the pouch kevin linked to I found it on amazon, I'm going to buy it after writing this post. It looks like it will hold the things I keep in the apron, and be a lot less annoying. It's only $9 so it can't hurt too much if I'm wrong.

Andy

Mike Langford
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Here's a thread started a few years back discussing the same topic: http://http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62349&page=4

....There you'll find an extremely handsome guy modeling a few options! :rolleyes: :D

Cody Colston
03-10-2009, 1:49 PM
I'll be an apron wearer from here on out. :) Besides, LOML likes how I look in one! ;) :D :D

Hey, I'll bet it is cute with that French maid outfit. :D

Sorry, Chris, I couldn't resist. ;)

Chris Padilla
03-10-2009, 1:51 PM
Hey, I'll bet it is cute with that French maid outfit. :D

Sorry, Chris, I couldn't resist. ;)

Sorry, Buddy, I don't kiss and tell.... ;) Okay, back on topic! :D

J. Z. Guest
03-10-2009, 2:31 PM
Same as Myk for me. I have the apron and "Worth a Damn" shop coat from Duluth Trading Co., out of the firehose canvas material.

I have a shop coat and an apron. The tools I use for a project are usually on the work bench within easy reach. The less I have to carry around, the better.

Here's the apron. (http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/22603.aspx?feature=&kw=apron)

The shop jacket appears to be discontinued. Too bad.

I only carry basic small tools, nothing as big as a square.

I carry:

A conventional pencil
A carpenter's pencil
A 0.5 mm lead mechanical pencil
A tape measure
An eraser
A 6" ruler
Earplugs
Folding utility knife

Everything else I typically use is mounted on a tool rack to the wall above my bench.

Steve Clardy
03-10-2009, 2:52 PM

Tsk tsk. Oh Brother Chris, what does mom think about that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Chris Padilla
03-10-2009, 3:22 PM
She hasn't see me in one...and we'll just keep it that way, okay, Bro?! :D ;)

Steve Clardy
03-10-2009, 3:29 PM
she hasn't see me in one...and we'll just keep it that way, okay, bro?! :d ;)

:d ;)................

Kevin Godshall
03-10-2009, 3:42 PM
I actually went "redneck" and started wearing bib overalls. Lots o pockets right up front on the chest, as well as the standard pockets on side and back.

I used to have a big issue with my ipod cables snagging or being in the way (adult ADD), but having it up high reduces the chance of it tangling.

I carry about 40 pencils, (down to about 1 by end of day), tape measure, safety glasses (usually riding too high on my hat protecting the top of my head.......), drill/driver bits and my dial calipers.

Git r done.

Tony Zaffuto
03-10-2009, 3:46 PM
Folding rule in a back pocket, pencil in a shirt pocket. Main tools are on my bench or nearby - those include tri-square, marking knife, Tite-mark gage, small engineer square. Aprons are more for carpentry tasks than furniture/cabinet building. For those tasks, simply a several pocket single apron, with a hammer loop and pockets for nail sets, nails, utility knife, tape rule and square.

T.Z.

Todd Crow
03-10-2009, 3:55 PM
All I carry in the shop is a pencil, tape measure, and DC remote. My bench has all the other supplies I need in it.

So I use this:

http://woodworker.com/images/ss/946-925.jpg

I liked it so much I bought several more and gave one to my brother who does remodeling. He liked it so much that he bought several others for the business and for his hobby woodshop.

Todd

James Adinaro
03-10-2009, 4:35 PM
I wear this apron when working with machines. It's pretty tough - like, bullet-stopping tough. By the time I move to the bench, I've usually taken it off. It does snag on things sometimes, but not too bad, and I've gotten really used to having certain things "on me".

I saw Keith's post though, and may try the pouch. The only things I usually carry in the apron are pencils, tape measure, DC remote, 3" engineers square, wixey angle doo-hickey, and sawdust. The trouble with the apron are the times when I *don't* have it on. Then I'm trucking across the shop to find the DC remote....

Peter Scoma
03-10-2009, 5:19 PM
I go a different route and wear Carhartt carpenters pants when im in the shop. The loop may or may not have a hammer in it, pencils and a screwdriver(s) go on either side pocket and the tape gets hooked on the coin pocket. Speed square may even be tucked in the back pocket if im doing rough work.

At 40$ a pair, theyre a great deal and supercomfortable

PS

David Duke
03-10-2009, 5:21 PM
I always hated wearing an apron or tool belt around the shop but alway had heck keeping up with pencils, tapes and small squares until I saw this vest from McFeeley's I got it a couple of years ago and really like it. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/158056/Blaklader-Roughneck-Vest One thing I really like about it but it never occured to me until after I got it is that for us guys you don't have to take it off to take care of business (notice the front pockets to the side).

Chris Padilla
03-10-2009, 6:58 PM
I always hated wearing an apron or tool belt around the shop but alway had heck keeping up with pencils, tapes and small squares until I saw this vest from McFeeley's I got it a couple of years ago and really like it. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/158056/Blaklader-Roughneck-Vest One thing I really like about it but it never occured to me until after I got it is that for us guys you don't have to take it off to take care of business (notice the front pockets to the side).

David, now that there "biznitch" thing's got some merit to it, it does! :D Eeenterestin', veeelly veelly eeenterestin'....

Rick Lucrezi
03-11-2009, 12:25 AM
I realized after reading the thread that there is a difference between working "in" the shop or working "out of" the shop. When I am building a house and doing trim I normally wear my tool belt. I drag my big slider, contractor saw and portable planer on the job. I make a huge mess with out a DC unit, especially when building closet pacs from Medite. Now here at my house I have my full quiver of tools at my disposal so I am in and out of the shop all day. The house is 100 feet long from end to end with the shop being at the far end. So I put alot miles in every day. I need to keep the basics on me but the belt sucks "in" the shop. I see some pretty cool ideas here for aprons and think I will go the vest route with a skillers or the one from WoodCraft.

Rich Engelhardt
03-11-2009, 5:01 AM
Hello,

I actually went "redneck" and started wearing bib overalls

+1 on the bibs.

I don't remember a whole lot from shop class some 40 years ago, but I do recall that we were told never wear loose clothes, long sleeves, jewelry, aprons or anything else that could get snagged by a power tool.

I do have a HF apron I wear when doing odd tasks, but, whenever I fire up the larger tools it comes off.

jim sauterer
04-02-2009, 9:38 PM
just received a leather apron from cw mcclellan.has plenty of pockets and the straps are wide and adjustable with clips instead of tying in the back.sure beats the canvas one i have with the thin string.cw did a great job.just like the one he donated for the free stuff drawing.

Dave Lehnert
04-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I use an apron that the straps cross your back. Works very well.

Shopsmith has this model available and will be my next when a new one is needed.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/VersatileApron.jpg

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/sa_mostvesitileapron.htm

Scott Wigginton
04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
This is all I ever really need to have on me. Its small, out of the way and does not fill with sawdust. I have an eraser and a scribe that you can't see in the big pocket. Everything else is just to big and bulky. First thing I do is put this on when I get in the shop, and last thing I take off before the lights go down.

Kevin, based on your pic and recommendation I ordered one from Amazon and LOVE IT :D

Much lighter than my tool belt and easy to swap out task specific tools (like when I was doing electrical work). Of course that almost got me in trouble when I forgot I wore it into Lowes and the cashier thought I was trying to pull a fast one :eek:

David, Woodcraft sells that one and a Blaklader Kangaroo Vest (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=21037) which is lighter and sand-colored. I like that the weight is evenly distributed across the shoulders and the pockets open when bending over.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/149217.jpg

I picked one up but it is still in the bag since I am finding the $8 Bucket Boss Rear Guard holds all I need and I can spend that $45 better elsewhere.