PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Favorite Turning Tools?

Jon McElwain
03-09-2009, 8:04 PM
Hey All,

I'm looking to upgrade my turning tools. I have whole bunch of old garage sale tools plus a set of hollowing tools from Trent Bosch (great guy - great workshops) and a couple of Robert Sorby Captive ring tools. I'm tired of sharpening every 5 minutes on the cheep tools. I'd like to get a few tools that I can pass on to my grandkids someday (I'm only 30 and my oldest is 4) What I'm looking for is the best available gouges, scrapers, hollowing tools, parting tools, etc. etc..

So, what's the BEST??

Thanks!!

Jon

Jim McFarland
03-09-2009, 8:40 PM
Thompson lathe tools, IMO, for bowl and spindle gouges.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2009, 9:00 PM
Thompson bowl and spindle gouges. Alan Lacer both his skews.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2009, 9:09 PM
Ellsworth PM Pro bowl gouge and both of my Alan Lacer skews.

Bill Bolen
03-09-2009, 9:12 PM
Thompson all the way...Bill...

tim mathis
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
thompsons are great, i also like p & n . both brands are execellent.
tim.

Ryan Baker
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I'll also say Thompson gouges and Lacer skews. But I wouldn't plan on passing them on to your grandkids unless you aren't planning to do hardly any turning. You'll sharpen your way through any tool before you get that far if you are really using them.

Jim Kountz
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
In a word, Thompson.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Looks like you got great advice on gouges and skews.

For hollowing tools/systems, I firmly believe Randy makes the best. Check this out:
http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/default.html

Gordon Seto
03-10-2009, 3:59 AM
I'll also say Thompson gouges and Lacer skews. But I wouldn't plan on passing them on to your grandkids unless you aren't planning to do hardly any turning. You'll sharpen your way through any tool before you get that far if you are really using them.
They are consumables. Unless you are really, really good; you don't ever have to sand. Probably you will use more money on sanding disk than the one of the best gouges.
See the "the cost to learn with a good tool" in here:
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/faq.asp

My favorites won't be necessarily be your favorite. It depends on what you mostly turn. For me I don't like either Alan Lacer skews. I bought them after watching his demo. I find them very good for large scale planning cut, as long as I don't have to swing the handle. I don't like them for detail work. The steel is too thick and the curved edge block my view. The tool handle is too long. I can't stand close for delicate cut when swinging the handle; my body is always in the way. I also bought an oval skew after watching Nick Cook demo. I don't like it either; it is too flimsy. I couldn't resist the big discount after the demo. My point is it has to feel right in your own hand.
Join a local club, and try out other members' tools. Find out what's the best for you first hand.

Gary Max
03-10-2009, 4:12 AM
P & N are by far the best I have ever used.
I haven't tried The Thompson gouges.

Richard Jones
03-10-2009, 4:59 AM
I have both Sorby and Thompson bowl gouges, and like both, altho' the Thompson's stay sharper much longer. I have a 3/4" curved Raffan skew that I like, plus a 1/2" Thompson skew that I radiused. 3/8" and 1/2" Thompson detail gouges. Those are pretty much my go-to tools. Nothing wrong with some flea market scrapers, you can pick up some older Craftsman HSS for a song at times.

Like Gordon, I also don't care for the Lacer skews, and I'll cite the same reasons he did. Also didn't care for the oval skew either, as there is (for me) no reference point on the tool rest.

Oh yeah, and the "cheap" roughing gouge from Craft Supplies, the economy one. Just couldn't see spending almost twice the money on a tool that takes such a beating. Maybe that's wrong. I do notice that I have to sharpen it a bit more than I'd like, but that may be normal. On the other hand, all HSS may not be created equal................Since I've never had a "good" roughing gouge, I can't say for sure.

You really can't go wrong with the Thompson's, wonderful stuff.

Rich

Gordon Seto
03-10-2009, 7:50 AM
Ok, talking about Spindle Roughing Gouge, there is one that is absolutely the best. Unless you and your children are professional turners, this may have the potential to pass on to your grand kids and beyond.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/b4ca8d11.jpg
Unlike rest of the SRG, these two are milled from solid round tool steel; they don't have weak tangs that are likely to snap.
The top is the Thompson. Its tang is 3/4". The bottom is the P&N, for some stupid reason, the tang is only 1/2".
These two are the best and the not so close 2nd. The rest are way behind.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Price? You know you can spend 300 bucks on one gouge? It's like buying a Porsche when a Corolla will do the same job..... Check your local Woodcraft store. Not saying ANYTHING bad about Thompson, Lacer or Sorby. If you want the BEST, that's what I would get. I can't afford it, and I forget the brand name, but the pro turners I know use them.
I have Sorby bowl gouge fingernail grind, my Sorby skew is a Lacer grind. Happy. That was before I found out about Thompsons. Given my price limitations, I'd go with the Thompsons, and get twice as many tools. Had to plink down full retail for my Sorbys.

Jon McElwain
03-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys! I'll check out the Thompson tools and others. Thanks again for the recommendations - "favorite tools" is always a popular thread!!

Oh, a couple guys commented on the oval skews - I love my oval skews. I find that they are very smooth and are easy to follow a long taper or straight cylinder section with. I grind mine with a flat ground edge (not concave on the face of the grinding wheel) and always hone on a water stone. This allows me to let the skew "ride" the taper or cylinder section only cutting the high points and it gives me almost a polished finish as the flat honed surface rides along the piece... A beautiful thing....;)

Jon McElwain
03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I haven't spent much on tools to date, I bought a bundle of Sorbey's at a garage sale for $5, and the rest have been gifts. In my twisted "must have more tools" mind, I need to catch up in spending on turning tools. The term "Vortex" has been kicking around the turners forum lately. I know what they mean!

Kyle Iwamoto
03-10-2009, 1:41 PM
A BUNCH of Sorbys for 5 bucks? Not even seeing them, I'll offer you 10 and you can double your money....LOL

Tool buying never ends. Now I want that Thompson gouge even more....