PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Even I buy Power Tools

Dave Anderson NH
07-17-2004, 4:56 PM
About 4 weeks ago my Delta 9" Disc/ 6" x 48" sander combo had the smoke let out of the motor. I ordered a new motor for $140 (expensive for a machine which sells for $269-$299) and received it a week ago last Friday. I put the new motor in last weekend and tested the machine, it worked fine. I did about 1 1/2 hours of sanding on the machine this morning and the new motor decided to die. I called my tool pusher and asked about the warranty, it's 1 year. So back to the tool pusher I went.....

I returned the motor for credit rather than replacement and picked up the big Jet JSG-6DCK as an upgrade. :D MAJOR IMPROVEMENT !! This thing was a royal pain to get in and out of a sedan and down into my shop by myself, but it sure was worth it. The belt is the same size, but the 12" disc is really nice as is the easier method of changing out belts. With a 1 1/2HP motor there is no slowdown or stall, the motor is also a TEFC while the Delta was open. It is rock solid with the cast iron tables and it is significantly smoother and actually quieter than the Delta was. This is a really nice machine and now I won't have to worry about having the POS Delta die again while I'm in the middle of a job. The Delta is now in the garage waiting for next Friday's trash pickup.

Tim Sproul
07-17-2004, 9:23 PM
For SHAME!

2 shames in a single post.....electrons AND sandpaper :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!

hahahhahahha....I'd have one too if I could find space... :D

Wes Bischel
07-17-2004, 9:29 PM
Dave,
If you're only allowed one power tool, it might as well be a nice one! ;)

Sounds like it worked out better in the end.

Wes

Joe Scarfo
07-17-2004, 10:06 PM
It's a shame to toss it onto the street for the trash man....

For someone nearby, that may be a great upgrade and they would be willing to find a used motor.

I'm on the hunt for some used/refurb parts to put a tossed compressor back into service.

Enjoy the new tool, I just love upgrades too...

Joe in Tampa.