PDA

View Full Version : My first gloat!

Jason White
03-09-2009, 7:36 PM
I'm not a "gloaty" kinda guy, but today I feel like a proud papa!

The new Grizzly (G1023) cabinet saw arrived today.:D

The UPS driver had lots of fun unloading it in the falling snow!

Was dying to put it together tonight, but decided to wait for a warmer (and dryer) day. Perhaps tomorrow. :(

YIPPEE!!

J

Chris Allen
03-09-2009, 7:37 PM
Nice.

You have more restraint that I would. I'd be out there 'til all hours of the morning.

Oh, and a gloat of my own.....It's was a beautiful 79 degree here day today. So there! :D

Jim Kountz
03-09-2009, 7:43 PM
Im with Chris, Id have to be out there getting it together!! I cant stand to wait for stuff like that!!
Congrats on the new saw!!

Rob Cooper
03-09-2009, 7:56 PM
+ 3 on the assembly all-nighter.

Congratulations on the new tool.

Dewey Torres
03-09-2009, 7:59 PM
Shoot...that saw is more than an all nighter. Have fun and start the clock we will see. Bring you snickers bar though because you won't be going anywhere in for a while:D

Duncan Horner
03-09-2009, 8:10 PM
I know the feeling, mine arrived early December, but I waited a month before bolting it together, mostly because of space issues, and because it was about 10 degrees in the shop all month :(

keith ouellette
03-09-2009, 8:12 PM
I want more info. Is that the left tilt? Did you get an extension table also? does the extension table also have a port for a router?

Thats like saying your wife had the baby and not telling us boy or girl.

cograts! I bet you'll love it.

Tim Malyszko
03-09-2009, 8:18 PM
Congrats on the new table saw. Nice first gloat!!!

David Christopher
03-09-2009, 8:26 PM
nice gloat, I know you will love it. I would build a fire and be out there with it till the end

Brian Kent
03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Ooooooh. Woooooooow!

Jason White
03-10-2009, 6:17 AM
10", Left-tilt, 3HP, 220v single-phase. Got it with the 30" rails (not enough room for 50"). Grizzly had a free shipping deal going.

I have a Bench Dog CI router table wing that I'm planning to use. I also have a new Biesemeyer fence, but haven't decided whether to install it or use the Shop Fox that came with the saw (the Shop Fox won't require any drilling, so.....).

Either way, there will be a fence on Craigslist in the near future.

Jason

I want more info. Is that the left tilt? Did you get an extension table also? does the extension table also have a port for a router?

Thats like saying your wife had the baby and not telling us boy or girl.

cograts! I bet you'll love it.

Jason White
03-11-2009, 6:17 AM
You're right about that! I spent a good 3 hours last night and this is as far as I got (pictures). That waxy/greasy stuff they coat the cast iron with is a real "bear" (get it?? ooohhhh....) to get off. Had to use mineral spirits and a scotch brite pad and lots of scrubbing.

Waiting for my new straightedge and shim stock from Lee Valley before I can proceed any further. Sigh.....:(

Shoot...that saw is more than an all nighter. Have fun and start the clock we will see. Bring you snickers bar though because you won't be going anywhere in for a while:D

Jason White
03-15-2009, 5:26 PM
Got the new Griz all put together and dialed in today!

The splitter sucks! No surprises there.

Installing the Biesemeyer was a bit of a pain. Had to drill new holes in the cast iron table and wings in order to mount the rails. Had a couple of "misfires," so of course there's an extra hole or two.:o Luckily, you can't see them.

Looking at the Shop Fox fence that came with the saw (which would have bolted on without any drilling), I'm not sure the Biesemeyer was worth the extra effort, but we'll see.

Also installed my older Bench Dog "Pro Max" CI router table that I had on my older contractor saw. Only a couple of complaints about this. First, I can't mount it on the left side of the saw because the saw's motor housing is in the way. I would've preferred it on the left. Also, because I had to mount it on the right side, my knuckles occasionally bang into the router when I use the bevel wheel to tilt the blade. The Biesemeyer fence rails are also now obstructing the miter T-track, so I have to make a couple of notches in the rails to get a miter gauge in there. Also, I had to enlarge the bolt holes in the Bench Dog in order to get the top flush with the rest of the saw's table. Lastly, I can no longer hang the fence on the "hooks" on the underside of the router table because the Bies fence rails are in the way.

All in all, though -- it's a pretty nice setup! I'm sure this saw will last me for quite a few years.

JW

I'm not a "gloaty" kinda guy, but today I feel like a proud papa!

The new Grizzly (G1023) cabinet saw arrived today.:D

The UPS driver had lots of fun unloading it in the falling snow!

Was dying to put it together tonight, but decided to wait for a warmer (and dryer) day. Perhaps tomorrow. :(

YIPPEE!!

J

Dwain Lambrigger
03-15-2009, 6:48 PM
I noticed the stand at the bottom of your new saw. Is that a back saving measure?

Jason White
03-15-2009, 7:59 PM
Yes, actually.

I'm 6'4", so I built the stand to get the table height up to 40". I'm planning to build a mobile base that will get the saw up to that height and also provide some storage.

Jason

I noticed the stand at the bottom of your new saw. Is that a back saving measure?

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 8:14 PM
Jason, thats a good looking setup but I dont see any sawdust

Pete Hay
03-15-2009, 8:57 PM
I've had the right-tilt version of that saw for five years now. It's been 100% satisfactory in every way. Recently I added a 5' long outfeed table and also raised the saw 3" on a frame similiar to yours. Should have made both improvements years ago...

Don Bullock
03-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Congratulations Jason.

Don Morris
03-16-2009, 5:13 AM
Love my 1023SL. Remember unless they've modified it in the last several years, you can install the Bies. drop in splitter for the Unisaw which you can do without any modifications (or add an add-on riving knife). Pretty happy with the splitter. But, there are other cheaper splitter solutions.

Enjoy! It's a great machine.

Ben Cadotte
03-16-2009, 5:53 AM
Congrats on the new saw.

Only thing I would suggest next time is to turn on the lights and put it together as soon as it gets there. :D No way I could get a good nights sleep knowing a new tool was out there still boxed. :D

Jason White
03-16-2009, 7:58 AM
Made a few cuts with it last night.

Not the cleanest cuts. Not sure what's going on. I'm using a new RIDGID "Titanium" 50 tooth ATB blade. Seeing some saw marks in my cuts when ripping white pine. Will have to get a dial gauge and see what's going on. Might be a little runout in the arbor or blade, but I'm not sure. Everything else seems to be adjusted properly. Maybe a blade stiffener would help?

Jason

Jason, thats a good looking setup but I dont see any sawdust

Rob Price
03-24-2009, 3:49 AM
I don't have any experience with that blade, although I hear they're made by Freud- should be a good blade.

Did you figure it out?

Jason White
03-24-2009, 7:43 AM
I readjusted the fence. Seems to have fixed it. Still not the cleanest cut, but for $35 you can't really beat it.

I don't have any experience with that blade, although I hear they're made by Freud- should be a good blade.

Did you figure it out?

Bill White
03-24-2009, 9:33 AM
Come on now! Spend all the gilt, and put a $35.00 blade on it?
Have ya decided what kind of splitter/riving knife you'll use? You ARE gonna use one right?
Bill :D

Jason White
03-24-2009, 8:52 PM
Making do with the stock splitter for now. Considering the Shark splitter as an upgrade.

Come on now! Spend all the gilt, and put a $35.00 blade on it?
Have ya decided what kind of splitter/riving knife you'll use? You ARE gonna use one right?
Bill :D