PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Upgrading

Tim Boger
03-09-2009, 6:46 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading to a lathe with actual electronic variable speed, I currently have a Jet 14-42 and love it except that the lowest speed is not low enough for me.

I've been looking at the JWL-1642EVS, but from what I can tell this model does not have the rotating headstock as does my 14-42 ..... I actually like this feature and wonder what other lathes you all might recommend that has the VS with the rotating headstock.

Any explanation why the larger Jet lathe was designed without that feature?

Thanks,
Tim

Reed Gray
03-09-2009, 6:48 PM
Tim,
It has a sliding headstock which is better in my opinion. It will do everything that the pivoting one will, and then some.
robo hippy

Dewey Torres
03-09-2009, 6:48 PM
Isn't the Nova DVR XP on sale right now?

Dewey Torres
03-09-2009, 6:49 PM
Yep here it is!

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5485&wcs=20011&pcs=fam

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/146719.jpg

Bill Buchanan IN
03-09-2009, 6:53 PM
Nova DVR is on sale during March @ Woodcraft - $1699.
I just bit then bullet. Enjoy

Tim Boger
03-09-2009, 6:56 PM
I'm checking out the Nova DVR @ Woodcraft, thanks for the lead guys .... does this lathe come with legs?

How does the Nova DVR compare to the 16-42 Jet with regards to over all weight?

Thanks

Dewey Torres
03-09-2009, 7:01 PM
The legs are not listed so I am going to say no legs.

Alan Trout
03-09-2009, 7:08 PM
Mine ways 830lbs with my stand. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001. That is what is nice about the lathe it leaves open lots of flexibility for you to design a stand as you see fit. However the cast Iron legs that they sell are pretty nice if you do not feel like building a stand. Mine is as stable or more stable than any lathe it its price range or even more expensive. At $1699 it is a great value.

Good Luck

Alan

Tim Boger
03-09-2009, 7:16 PM
Wow!! That is a terrific looking set up Alan, well done.

What are the benefits of your Nova DVR as compared to the Jet, other than the rotating head stock of course.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2009, 7:35 PM
Tim - even though you seem like you have your attentions going towards the Nova - I wanted to mention that the Jet 1642 is also a very capable lathe. I have the 2 hp version and, so far, it has done everything I have asked of it.

As far as the Nova - Alan made a great stand for his and it is something to be proud of - for sure - but with the Jet you already have weight from it's cast iron frame and with a small frame/box can add as much sand or concrete as you want to stabilize the lathe. I do not own a Nova and have never turned on one, and there are a lot of folks that swear by them, but for me, I never quite understood the idea of a rotating headstock. Seems to me that you would want all rotational forces to be centered over the bed of the lathe - not at a 45* angle from center. I am sure it works just fine - just something I could never see working as well as a sliding head lathe.

Best of luck with your research! Hope to see some photos real soon of your new lathe - whatever it may be!

Have fun and remember to ask lots of questions!

Alan Trout
03-09-2009, 7:40 PM
Tim, the small foot print of the basic lathe is what really attracted me to the lathe. However There were times I needed a long bed lathe. When I saw that they came up with the swing away hinge that is what sent me over the edge and I bought the lathe. 99% of the time the extra bed is just folded away. However when I need the room I just bring it around. It is also a great way to get the tailstock out of the way. I also love hollowing bowls with the head at the 22.5 degree angle. Very comfortable process that way.

Another plus with the lathe is that it can be run on 110V or 220V. On 110V is is 1.75hp but at 220 most say 2hp however digging through the manual it is rated at 2.3hp. It is the smoothest running lathe I have ever seen and is very, very quiet. It also has some unique programming features that if you have a bad catch it just stops the motor. It is a nice safety feature.

The one thing I don't care that much for is the button speed change. A dial is more convenient however with the 5 preset speeds that you can have it for the most part is not even noticed.

At first I really wanted a 20+ inch swing lathe. Then I came to the realization that most wood available to me would barely make a 14 inch bowl. With the outrigger and the 16" swing it will do most anything I want to do for a good long while.

The more I use mine the better it gets. A great machine at a very good value.

Good Luck

Alan

Tim Boger
03-09-2009, 8:10 PM
Steve .... thanks for your feedback. I've enjoyed using my 14-42 for several years with no regrets. So far, the Nova DVR and the Jet 16-42 are all I've reviewed that do fall into my price range. I'm leaning towards the Jet as it comes with legs and I've had a great experience with the one I own now.

The rotating head stock is nice when I use the buffing system I'm able to turn it out away for the lathe's bed giving me more room to position my piece while buffing it. I've also found being able to turn the bowl out a little makes it much easier to get "in front" of it.

But .... the basic complaint is still the desire for a true electronic variable speed with a much slower lowest setting. I think my lowest speed is 450 and that is much to fast for the initial start of a piece while not knowing how out of balance it may or may not be.

If only cost were no object ....

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2009, 8:21 PM
Tim - when turning bowls or buffing, I slide the headstock down to the end of the bed. Love it - as I do not have to lean over the bed to turn bowls and also love it while buffing as I have all sorts of room and do not worry about the bed being in the way.

As far as the money aspect - the 1642 does come in a 120 volt 1 1/2 hp version and is considerably cheaper than the 220 version. Both have variable speed - with the slow speed being around 50 rpm on the low range and 127 rpm on the high range - at least it is on mine.

Take your time when it comes to choosing a lathe and if at all possible - get with your local turning club and find a way to turn on someone's before buying. You may like the way the Nova feels or the way the Jet head slides, etc. Seeing as how you already have the Jet 14 - you would not have to get acclimated to a new lathe - if you chose the 1642!

No matter what - ask lots of questions!

Dick Sowa
03-09-2009, 8:22 PM
It all a matter of personal preference.

I have a 3520b, and tend to favor a sliding headstock, and use it a lot. It comes down to the number of moving parts, I think. To slide along the ways, the headstock merely needs to be loosened to slide, then tightened down in the same orientation as before. Also, and for me the most important feature, is that the mass of the turning is still in line with the mass of the lathe. And also that your turning is accessible all around it...for maybe 300 degrees.

With a rotating headstock you are dealing with an additional set of parts, and an alignment that is off center from the mass of the lathe. Both can be overcome, but it just seems inefficient to me. And even under the best situation, you only have access to 180 degrees of the turning.

Nonetheless, Nova makes some really fine lathes, and folks that use them are usually very happy with them.

Ryan Baker
03-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I also have the 2HP Jet, and I will echo the comments of Steve and others. I much prefer the sliding headstock to a rotating one. It's more comfortable and more solid. The EVS is great. Try to check them both out before you decide. You can probably find the Nova at your local Woodcraft.

alex carey
03-10-2009, 1:50 AM
My first lathe was a sliding and rotating headstock. It was a 12" though. I now have the 3520B which slides only and I find that I am missing the rotating ability. No doubt its one hell of a lathe but I do miss it a tad. I can't think of any larger lathe that does this and its probably because it lessens stability. But personally if I had to choose one, it was would be sliding headstock.

Tim Boger
03-10-2009, 6:00 AM
Morning Alex,

I do want to thank you and the others that have added feedback here, I bet my sentiments will mirror yours when the time comes that I replace the lathe I have now. I do find the rotating head to be useful and have no issues with
realignment when I do spindle stuff.

In the mean time. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a 16-42 or a similar size lathe with electronic speed control as well as a buyer for my 14-42.

Tim