PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to build this for the shop!

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2009, 5:58 PM
Last Monday I got snowed out from my job and had a good amount of time back home in the shop. What to do??? Currently in between projects, I seemed to have enough scrap plywood around to accomplish this project, so I quickly laid out the plans on paper and got the carcass built during the week and on Saturday, I put the drawers together. Great timing in one respect as at work, they had about 500 of these utility handles available and I grabbed about thirty or forty of them and used the first five right here on this cabinet. The added space will be welcome as I will now have a place for all of my table saw accessories, jigs, blades and even my sled which stores in the tall cubby to the left side of the cabinet. Very well spent time putting this together!

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-09-2009, 6:01 PM
Nice but there is a serious flaw in the thing.
The drawers are empty. Go buy some new stuff to put in 'em. Blades a tenon jig maybe an Incra kit you know, the usual.

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2009, 6:11 PM
Nice but there is a serious flaw in the thing.
The drawers are empty. Go buy some new stuff to put in 'em. Blades a tenon jig maybe an Incra kit you know, the usual.

Cliff, I am actually not done with this thing yet. The bigger drawer up top will be holding a shop built blade rack that was a project in one of my woodworking magazines within the last year. It will sit in that drawer file holder style. And, I already have an Incra miter guage and that is actually hanging on the far side of this new cabinet on shop built brackets that are screwed into the side of the cab. I have a few jigs around that will find their new home in the bigger drawer on the bottom.

tim harris
03-09-2009, 6:37 PM
That looks great Fred. How did you mount the drawer hardware. ( any slide hardware ?) I am going to design some drawers and want to put them in a rolling cabinet. Some will be side by side and I was wondering how to mount the internal slide. it looks like you may have done this on the smaller drawers.. Again, great job!

Dewey Torres
03-09-2009, 6:46 PM
I am guessing your dust port access is on the back side of the saw. I would not have been able to do that with my uni. I like what you have done. Did you use pocket screws?

Chris Tsutsui
03-09-2009, 6:48 PM
I'm just curious what joinery you used for something as basic as this.

I think if it were me, I'd end up using dry wall screws and plywood. Maybe some brads and wood glue too. heh

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2009, 6:56 PM
That looks great Fred. How did you mount the drawer hardware. ( any slide hardware ?) I am going to design some drawers and want to put them in a rolling cabinet. Some will be side by side and I was wondering how to mount the internal slide. it looks like you may have done this on the smaller drawers.. Again, great job!

Tim, funny you should ask. I picked up this little tip a number of years ago and I beleive right on this forum. Very simple method for sure. What I use is not hardware at all. I size my drawer carcasses to be almost as big as the openings that they are built for. Side to side measurements for the drawers are maybe about an eight to 3/16ths of an inch smaller on each side. Then, and here is the slick part, I use that clear, plastic drywall corner guard stuff that protects drywall corners from getting dinged up. Yup, that stuff. I hot melt glue it to the bottom edges of the drawers and you would be amazed at how easily the drawers slide in and out! I used this method on some drawers in a bedroom dresser I built for myself years ago and they are still performing to perfection and that is with daily use. Home Depot has the plastic guard for about $3 per 8 ft section.

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2009, 6:59 PM
I'm just curious what joinery you used for something as basic as this.

I think if it were me, I'd end up using dry wall screws and plywood. Maybe some brads and wood glue too. heh

Very simple construction Chris. Simple dadoes for mounting all of the internal structure. Glue and nails. Face frame was pocket holed together and then nailed to the carcass. Doesn't get more simple than that.

Dewey Torres
03-09-2009, 6:59 PM
Then, and here is the slick part, I use that clear, plastic drywall corner guard stuff that protects drywall corners from getting dinged up.

Fred,
Would you care to show us a pic of that?

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2009, 7:00 PM
Fred,
Would you care to show us a pic of that?

Dewey, I will go right out into the shop and take a pic right now. Give me a few minutes and I will post it in this thread.

Bill Huber
03-09-2009, 7:14 PM
Then, and here is the slick part, I use that clear, plastic drywall corner guard stuff that protects drywall corners from getting dinged up.

Great idea, I will have to put that one in may tricks and tips folder.

That is a good looking storage cabinet and there is a lot of room it there also.

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2009, 7:15 PM
Here you go Dewey. You can see the clear plastic stuff on the bottoms of the drawers. I hope this goes through, for some reason I have been having problems with uploading pics on this forum lately.

glenn bradley
03-09-2009, 7:58 PM
Very cool Fred. Here's an idea for your tall narrow door; framed pegboard mounted on full extension drawer glides ;).

keith ouellette
03-09-2009, 8:15 PM
very nice. what is your plan for the narrow cabinet. I thought I would take that idea and use the cabinet to store a cross cut sled. Great idea.

Jim Mattheiss
03-09-2009, 8:31 PM
I like the vertical slider idea. I have an opening in the middle of my TS base that I was going to put a removable panel over just to close it up. I wasn't sure what to put in there otherwise. Now I have an idea!

Creekers' to the rescue!

Cheers

Jim

Dewey Torres
03-09-2009, 8:33 PM
Very nice thanks for the pics!

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2009, 8:41 PM
Very cool Fred. Here's an idea for your tall narrow door; framed pegboard mounted on full extension drawer glides ;).

Glenn, that is great usage of that space behind the tall door. However, I use that space for my saw sled in there and room would not allow your idea. Wish I had thought of it, I might have incorporated such a thing. By the way, I see you have those Rockler fence clamps. How do you like them? I am planning on ordering them within a week when I order some other things from Rockler.

Gary Lange
03-09-2009, 8:44 PM
Very Slick Idea I may have to build one of those myself!

Jim Becker
03-09-2009, 9:25 PM
That looks GREAT, Fred!! I'm going to have to come over and oogle that a little closer next time I'm driving by...

Tony Bilello
03-09-2009, 9:51 PM
Looks very professional so I'm sure your other projects will be something many folks on here will be waiting to see.

tim harris
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
thanks for the pics and the neat insight. I wanted to make an inexpensive drawer, but it has to hold some heavy things, ( screws, flat metal plates, jig saw, nibbler, circular saw, blades).. I think this will do the trick!! Thanks again!

tim harris
03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
great idea Glenn! may work in my kitchen for small space baking sheets ( with a tray bottom) Thanks!

Matt Meiser
03-10-2009, 8:04 AM
...those Rockler fence clamps. How do you like them?

I got a set of these last year. Initially I used them to clamp my router fence to my rip fence, but I just made a sacrificial fence and cutoff fence that use them too. They work as advertised. Most importantly, they don't have a tendency to kick the bottom of the sacrificial fence out the way using traditional clamps right at the top edge did. I made my fences from some baltic birch with some poplar laminated on one side, then planed down to exactly 1" thick to make fence settings easy.

Nice job on the cabinet and thanks for the tip on the drawer guides.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-10-2009, 9:07 AM
The bigger drawer up top will be holding a shop built blade rack

Cool. I have such a space under the right hand side of my saw. I've been toying with the idea of making a case for under neath. currently it's the default drop zone for all my off cuts.

What is going in the space revealed by he tall vertical door ?

Fred Voorhees
03-10-2009, 4:30 PM
Cool. I have such a space under the right hand side of my saw. I've been toying with the idea of making a case for under neath. currently it's the default drop zone for all my off cuts.

What is going in the space revealed by he tall vertical door ?

That would be my tablesaw sled.