PDA

View Full Version : Explain pnuematic nails to me.

Howard Phillips
03-09-2009, 5:38 PM
I've been using them forever but know nothing about them or their proper applications in many cases (I have a nail gun, and I buy nails to fit it is how I've rolled).

First of all what do the various "sizes" mean? Length is obvious, but there is gauge as well. And how does the size of the nails' heads fit into all of it?

Thanks to you crazy Americans being unwilling to conform to any sensible standards of measurement (ie the metric system):), it appears that the situation is confused further as there are actually two types of measurement: "pennies" (the "d" notation, which I believe refers to length?) and whatever the rest of the world uses (yes, I know the pennies measurement was invented in England, but even they appear to have stopped using it).

And what does "common" mean?

What is the difference between a "brad" and a "finish nail"? At what point does a nail become a "framing nail"?

And why here (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-selecting-and-using-screws-and-nails--bg-1299655.html) does it say brads are only denominated by length?

Secondly, application:

I have an 18gauge brad nailer. As far as I'm concerned it is only useful for small trim, and the like. If I were to get into finish and trim carpentry, what would I need? Would the brad nailer be any use?

I've read that both 15-gauge and/or 16-gauge finish nailers are typically used for all finish applications (window casings, hanging doors, trim). Which is the one to go with? Why does there seem to be such disagreement?

And finally, for framing: I have used my bostitchs coil nailers for years for both framing and fencing as they have a capacity of 1-1/2" to 3-1/2". Now they have crapped out and I'm looking at other models. Problem is I can't find anything besides the bostitchs that have a 1-1/2" capacity (2" seems to be the standard). When I nail-up fencing (and let's not have this turn into an argument about nails vs. screws for fencing) I've always used 1-1/2" nails. It seems that 2" nails would be too long (1/2" for the fence board, 1-1/2" for the 2x framing, plus countersink).

I had a nice discussion with one of the lovely BORG employees who refused to show me a 2" coil because I wouldn't believe him that 2" nails would be fine for fencing. Is 2" the nominal or actual length of 2" nails?

I think that's it for now. Thanks!

keith ouellette
03-09-2009, 5:42 PM
The higher the number the thinner the nail for air guns. Go figure right. I don't know why they did it different than regular nails but they did.

I do trim with a 16gage nail if I need 2 inches or more. I use an 18 gage if its under 2 inches.

Tom Veatch
03-09-2009, 6:20 PM
Several links to find out everything you'd ever want to know about nail types and sizes:
http://www.sizes.com/tools/nails.htm
http://www.engineersedge.com/nail_size_chart.htm
http://www.1728.com/nails.htm
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/n/nail.html

Rick Lucrezi
03-09-2009, 8:17 PM
I am curious to see what the responces are here. Its like defining the word "what". Its just taken for granted. Dont rock the boat.:D

Prashun Patel
03-09-2009, 9:02 PM
You'll get lots of responses here. My 2c:

Brads are nails without heads. They are used for their easy hiding and filling ability - not for thier holding power. So they're usually used in conjunction with glue - as temporary clamps. They are more delicate than nails so they won't damage delicate trim. They are actually more like pieces of rigid wire than nails. They have almost no pullout or shear strength, so they're not intended for structural apps.

IMHO, 15ga is the best choice for finish carpentry (heavy trim and closets). Finish nails have smaller heads, but they still have heads so they hold better than brads and are easier to fill and hide than the largest, common nails.

A complete arsenal of nailers (again, IMHO) is:
15ga finish nailer
18ga brad nailer
Framing nailer
(nice to have: 23ga pin nailer)

Anything else can be done by one of the others.

Todd Pretty
03-09-2009, 9:22 PM
Wow, there's alot of good questions here, and you are going to get alot of answers... some of which will be completely opposite of each other.

But I'll throw my hat in the ring, and answer what I can.

First of all what do the various "sizes" mean? Length is obvious, but there is gauge as well. And how does the size of the nails' heads fit into all of it?

Gauge is the size of the of the nail shaft. It is independent of the head, in some cases you can even have no head (ie. 23g pins or 23g brads w/ heads) or a different shape (ie. clipped head or round head framing nails). The shape of the head often depends on the style or manufacturer of the tool.

Thanks to you crazy Americans being unwilling to conform to any sensible standards of measurement (ie the metric system):), it appears that the situation is confused further as there are actually two types of measurement: "pennies" (the "d" notation, which I believe refers to length?) and whatever the rest of the world uses (yes, I know the pennies measurement was invented in England, but even they appear to have stopped using it).

I dont understand the penny system, due to inflation, I dont use it... nails would keep getting smaller.

And what does "common" mean?

smooth shank (w/round full head), not spiral, ringed, galvy, etc.

What is the difference between a "brad" and a "finish nail"? At what point does a nail become a "framing nail"?

Now I know that people will disagree with this... but, a brad is shot by a nailer and has a head, no head = pin, a finish nail is a hand driven nail. I dont know when a nail becomes a Framing Nails...

And why here (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-selecting-and-using-screws-and-nails--bg-1299655.html) does it say brads are only denominated by length?

Secondly, application:

I have an 18gauge brad nailer. As far as I'm concerned it is only useful for small trim, and the like. If I were to get into finish and trim carpentry, what would I need? Would the brad nailer be any use?

Yes, it is the most common nailer that I use for hanging trim.

I've read that both 15-gauge and/or 16-gauge finish nailers are typically used for all finish applications (window casings, hanging doors, trim). Which is the one to go with?

This is personal preference. I use both, I've heard arguments both ways, but I rarely use the 16g any more, the 15g has a larger head and larger nail, so the holding power seems to be substantially more, and the nail hole that it leaves is virtually the same size as the 16g. The other reason I switched is the 15g seem to resist rust better, as many of them are designed for exterior use as well... this galvy coating also seems to increase the holding power of the nails.

Why does there seem to be such disagreement?

When I look at some of the older guns, I remember a couple of Senco's that must be 20 years old, they seem to be differentiated by both guage and nail length, so you had to use different guns, depending on the length of nail you used. The new guns have considerably greater length options, so you can use the same gauge more for things... this might be where some of the confusion comes in.

And finally, for framing: I have used my bostitchs coil nailers for years for both framing and fencing as they have a capacity of 1-1/2" to 3-1/2". Now they have crapped out and I'm looking at other models. Problem is I can't find anything besides the bostitchs that have a 1-1/2" capacity (2" seems to be the standard). When I nail-up fencing (and let's not have this turn into an argument about nails vs. screws for fencing) I've always used 1-1/2" nails. It seems that 2" nails would be too long (1/2" for the fence board, 1-1/2" for the 2x framing, plus countersink).

Makita makes an excellent coil framer, that is very well balanced, and has the widest range of nails that I've seen (2"-3.5") for nails less then 2" this seems to be the realm of siding guns, I like my Hitachi for that, plus they have a smooth nose nails mooth nose, so they wont mar the work. You could always use a 2" nail and shoot it at an angle, though then the head may be more noticeable.

I had a nice discussion with one of the lovely BORG employees who refused to show me a 2" coil because I wouldn't believe him that 2" nails would be fine for fencing. Is 2" the nominal or actual length of 2" nails?

This changes from manufacturer to manufacturer, and I'm pretty sure batch to batch sometimes.

I think that's it for now. Thanks!