PDA

View Full Version : Is a gum tree ok?

Angela Weaver
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
A friend of my husband's just cut down a gum tree (you know, makes the little spiky balls). Is this wood good for anything? Mainly bowls?

Also, what wood do you avoid in making bowls? Some are toxic, I'm sure and I guess could be sealed for non-food use. Right? What about pine tree bowls? Decorative, or can they be sealed for food or what? We have so much pine to choose from, I'd like some ideas if any are out there.

Thanks!
Angela

David Walser
03-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Angela,

I've seen some very pretty bowls turned from gum (red gum, IIRC). So, I'd go for it!

As for woods to avoid, I can't think of any off hand. I've seen some very nice decorative bowls made out of different types of evergreen trees. Recently, forum members have posted turning from juniper, cedar, and Douglas fir, IIRC. Not all these turnings were bowls. Do a search of the forum and you'll see lots of examples of pine (and other non-hardwood) turnings.

Good luck.

Maria Alvarado
03-09-2009, 1:32 PM
Angela,
What you have is Sweet gum (more exotically, Liquidambar) and you can make some pretty bowls out of it, although the grain is interlocking and can apparently be a problem in some applications, I have not had a problem for turning or carving bowls. You can see some examples in this thread
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90684

Leave some outside in the shade and you'll get some nice spalting!

Angela Weaver
03-09-2009, 2:26 PM
Great to hear! Thanks for the info!

robert hainstock
03-09-2009, 3:02 PM
I've always heard that walnut is toxic, but have never expierenced the problem. I've alwys finished my bowls with deft, or wipe on poly. Bob Flexner in his book "understanding wood finishing, and in the 2008 April AAW magazine says the any finish that cures Is food safe. I don't use the dish washer on mine. Good luck. :):)
Bob

Angela Weaver
03-09-2009, 4:05 PM
How lovely Maria! Great job! We're just starting out, so I'll be happy just to get one done!

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2009, 4:15 PM
Angela - check out Don's post - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106713 - as his shaving mug was turned out of red gum.

Bill Bolen
03-09-2009, 4:45 PM
Angela if you have a lot of this lay a few pieces aside and let them spalt. Takes a few months but will give you some lovely spalting...Bill...

Don Carter
03-09-2009, 5:17 PM
Angela:
I have some red gum that a friend gave me from the Mississippi delta. Steve linked to a piece I did with some. Thanks Steve.:cool:
First, MS is a perfect place for spalting, very humid and I don't rake all my leaves from the oaks and hickory in my yard.;) I bet you can too in Texas.

After a few months in this soup, you will see lots of color. It is very easy to turn but make sure you have good solid wood.

Get all you can and show us what you make with it. We do like pics.

All the best.

Don

Alec Moseley
03-10-2009, 1:41 PM
spalted sweet gum is beautiful wood and turns nicely, so hang onto it.

Cody Colston
03-10-2009, 2:07 PM
Angela,

Being a lifelong ET resident, I know all about Sweet Gum, especially those spiky balls that are tough on young bare feet. :D

Sweetgum turns well and also carves well, being pretty soft before completely dry. After the wood cures, it gets a lot harder. If you turn fresh, green Sweetgum, you will need a slicker suit because the stuff is full of water. The best bet is to cut it in blanks, Anchorseal the end grain and let it dry out a bit before turning.

The attached pics are all from the same Sweetgum log, about 16" diameter that I let lay on the ground for 4 months before cutting into short logs and flat blanks. I still have a bunch of it stored.

As for toxicity, I don't know of a single wood that is toxic once dry and finished. Of the woods that exhibit toxicity, it's primarily the dust (and the residual oils) that generate reactions in people. Walnut wood has a very small amount of a chemical called Juglone that, while it's a natural herbicide and toxic to horses, I don't think it affects humans. Besides, the Juglone is found primarily in the leaves and roots.

Here's a deal, if you have some hardwood you think is toxic, PM me and I'll come take it off your hands. :)

Craig Powers
03-11-2009, 8:47 AM
Angela,
If you find a tree with a large percentage of dark
heart, you may not want it to spalt. Its great without spalt.
In certain places it's been called "Satin Walnut" if that any indication
of how beautiful it can be. Lots of it in E. Tex.
BTW, wood readily spalts in E. Tex.