PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments......

Dennis Peacock
03-09-2009, 7:43 AM
9 Mar 2009

Good Morning,
It's been some awesome weather here with temps in the 60's and 70's allowing the whole family to have a nice time outside. Of course this marks the time for us to start doing yard work once again as well as getting everything ready for our vegetable garden.

A little more feedback that I've gotten about the Black Walnut Kitchen Table project that I just finished and delivered is that the new owner is "still" bragging on the table and invites people to come by and see her new table. I like a happy customer.! She now wants me to make her a matching set of coasters for her table as well as one of my end-grain cutting boards. Of course, I'm going to gladly oblige.

I opened all the shop doors and aired out the shop yesterday after church and then I took a very well deserved nap. It was then time to spend some time with the family and watch a movie. It was an episode of "Ma and Pa Kettle". Anybody remember them? My kids loved them.!!!

BTW, if you like jazz music and you like a good sax player? Check out "Merlon Devine". I got turned on to this dude yesterday and his stuff is awesome.

Getting ready for rain and storms here today and tomorrow. So here's to a safe an non-adventuresome spring (weather wise I mean).

I'm now working on a restoration project for a lady at work of a very old "School Desk" that was her mothers many years ago. I sure wish I knew of a way to get paint and rust off of metal other than sanding it off. Anybody got a sand blaster? ;)

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-09-2009, 7:58 AM
Poured two octagonal concrete forms in wood knock apart forms I made for 25 pound weights for my weight bench. The cores are steel tubing with lugs of scrap steel brazed on to prevent loosening.

The inspiration? I am lazy and don't like to always be swapping out weight plates.

Matt Meiser
03-09-2009, 8:02 AM
I slept a lot this weekend due to a bad cold and Nyquil. I did spend a couple hours each day out in the shop cleaning planer parts, which are now 99% done. Yesterday I also cut and glued up segments to make a wood trim ring for a bath fan.

If this is a school desk where you can remove all the wood, try electrolysis. You'll need a big tank, a battery charger and a box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not the same thing as baking soda.) The tank needs to be big enough that you can fit the item inside, though not necessarily all at the same time. I completely stripped the cabinet for my belt disc sander over about a week with only minimal scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad to remove the loosed paint. And it removes all the rust as well. Though I will say that due to the fact we are still seeing below freezing conditions, I'm going to take the cabinet that I'm going to use for my planer to be sandblasted since electrolysis is more of an outside job.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2009, 8:06 AM
Saturday Sharon and I toured the new county jail. The jail is just being finished and they had an open house. Of course, our oldest son who is a deputy gave us our personal tourl.

Saturday afternoon, I counseled a new turner.

Sunday, I cleaned a little in the shop.

John Shuk
03-09-2009, 8:34 AM
Dennis,
I'm pretty sure I have a sand blaster that I have never used. It was with a bunch of stuff passed along to me from my wife grandfather. he never had a huge compressor so it should be able to run of most anything.
PM me and I'll ship it off to you.
John

Pretty muddy weekend here. Warm weather and melted snow made for 3 muddy boys running around and having fun. Had a small campfire outside Sat night during the day and then again after a party. It was nice.

Keith Outten
03-09-2009, 8:53 AM
Beautiful weather here in eastern Virginia this weekend with temps in the mid to upper 70's. I spent the entire weekend running electrical wiring in my old barn and installed a couple light fixtures. I expect it will take at least another weekend to finish mounting the rest of the lights and running the wire.....but its worth the effort :)

Dennis, if you get a sandblaster try glass beads instead of sand.

Scott Wigginton
03-09-2009, 9:08 AM
Only had Sat until lunchtime but got some stuff done

Cleaned TS blade (first time in 3 years :rolleyes:)
Installed Shark Guard
Hung subpanel & connected feeder line
Visited a WoodNet fellow's shop (broke the "no drool on handtools" rule :eek:)

Jim O'Dell
03-09-2009, 9:17 AM
Beautiful weather here this weekend also. A little windy Sat for the Celtic festival in Dallas, but still had a great time. Took one of the Rescue dogs with us and he was great. Never saw a stranger, crawled up in a lady's lap that was in a wheel chair, and just had a blast.
Finished up the pump for the sprinkler system, hooked it up. Ran it Sunday afternoon, no pressure. I think the filter is clogged up, but the inlet pipe is also pretty cruddy. It broke at a joint pulling it up out of the creek, so I've got to clean that and reglue it. Spent an hour or so cleaning the built in bench off. It hasn't been that clean since I built it about 2 years ago!! It can actually be used for something now. Made a shelf to hold my 4 really cheap, really torn up chisels, and the 4 pry bars so they are off the bench. Then I watched the Stars lose.
Have a great week everyone!! It looks to be a mostly wet one here. Jim.

Ray Dockrey
03-09-2009, 9:26 AM
I have been working on finishing up my bathroom vanity. I had bought the cheap Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer about two years ago but never used it. I got it out yesterday and sprayed some General Finishes water based poly. I couldn't believe how easy it was and how fast. The sprayer worked beautifully and I was able to get three coats on it in an afternoon. This is a big vanity and it would have taken me many hours to have brushed it on.

Joe Mioux
03-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Spread some Weed and Feed, (baricade) yesterday morning, it rained which was good. so no crab grass this summer.

Started assembling a router table and I need to drill new holes in the plate to accomodate my new Milwauke Router.

Also, cleaned up some of the fence row, lots of downed branches, Also we have half a Oak tree that needed some attention. This is a big and potentially dangerous project. I am hoping of taking a little away so the rest of the tree will fall. if i get stuck with this then the farmer who farms the ground behind my house will need to deal with it. The tree trunk is on the farm ground side.

joe

Art Mulder
03-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Well after a few days of this:

We did some of this on Saturday:

Which gave us this:

(My son wanted to try making maple syrup, so we tapped the two trees in our backyard. Kind of neat to accomplish this from start to finish.)

other Than that I did some cleaning in the shop and worked on helping 3 of my kids with their pinewood derby cars.

...art

brian watson
03-09-2009, 3:40 PM
1) Packed up boxes at the grandmother in law's house for her move this weekend.
2) Worked on a patio storage bench for the wife until I ran out of materials. Have to make the occassional project for her since she supports my woodworking habit.:D I'll post Pictures when its recognizable.
3) Can never have enough shop storage so started on some additional cabinets for the garage shop. First victim: Piano hinge cabinet from recent issue of family handyman about 1/2 way done.

Rick Lucrezi
03-09-2009, 8:25 PM
It snowed off and on but did not bother me. I was hard at work with the stair finish. (I have all the pics and details in the project forum) I did not realize the weekend was over till the kids came down early( which they never do on weekends) and I wonder why. They looked at me like I was challenged. Then it hit me. Week end is over. O well. Nothing changed in my world except for more sawdust and wood chips. I think I'm changing my name to Beaver.

David Christopher
03-09-2009, 8:38 PM
We had beautiful weather.. rode the motorcycle sat and sun. turned a couple of bowls went to church. put weed and feed on the yard and a little cleaning of the shop

Jim Becker
03-09-2009, 9:14 PM
I had a nice ride at the stable on Saturday, but spent the rest of the weekend "recovering" from my lovely older daughter having an appendectomy on Thursday night. I just didn't have a whole bunch of motivation to venture forth and have a sinus thing that is just hanging on in the background...enough to be maddening, but not enough to do something serious about. Maybe next weekend I'll get in the shop...

I did edit a video of our first "Mens' Night" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-auizA6K4M) at the barn...there is a concerted effort to get more "barn dads" and "barn granddads" to ride. Professor Dr SWMBO happened to get me a Flip Video thingie for my birthday as a spare and very portable video camera and had it there last Wednesday night. Not the greatest cinematic production, but it rocks a little...LOL

Narayan Nayar
03-09-2009, 9:56 PM
I spent a lot of time with my son, who turned three last week.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3550/3340644666_d3d345ab07.jpg
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm/3340644666/)

Watched him play with this crazy dinosaur my wife's aunt got him for his birthday:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3337/3339817355_2b44edeaf3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm/3339817355/)

And when I wasn't doing that, I was finishing my turning tool storage:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/3339813441_28c587d723.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm/3339813441/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3340641364_8d4b9b33fe.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm/3340641364/)

Still needs some drawer fronts, but at least now my tools aren't sitting on top of my tablesaw...

Tom Henry
03-09-2009, 9:59 PM
Turned some canes...having a great time experimenting and learning how to turn...here is the link to the canes...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106824

Rod Sheridan
03-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Narayan, great couple of photo's of your son.

Jim, nice video, brings back memories of when my daughter rode.

Well, you're all going to laugh, however to demonstrate that no good deed goes unpunished, my friend was back working on his cabinet project, and he overfilled my cyclone.

The drum was full, the cone was half full, the filter was packed so full the chips wouldn't fall out when the cleanout pan was removed.

What a mess, it took me 3 hours to get it cleaned out and re-assembled.

My friend thought that the chips visible in the flex was just the normal dust falling into the barrel, as opposed to the bin being full.

Oh well, maybe I need a bin sensor!

Regards, Rod.