PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Honing Film

Berl Mendenhall
03-09-2009, 7:10 AM
Has anyone tried the Pinnacle Honing Film from Woodcraft. I bought six sheets of it several months ago but have not used it yet. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on how good it is. I didn't get the honing guide just the sheets. The guide looked like a bit of over kill to me. An expensive gadget I didn't need. I wonder if the sheets are made by 3M, Norton, or a company like that and just packaged under a different name. These aren't pressure sensitive backing, just wet the surface to hold them down. They were $4.99 for three sheets so not outrageous, if they hold up.

Berl

Bill McDermott
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Berl, Yes, I have tried the film and am pleased. 0.3 micron caught my attention and the price was low enough to make an experiment. Occassionally, I want to polish an edge beyong the 8000 waterstone. I used to smear some polish on a scrap of mdf. Lately, I've been using the film. Removes metal pretty quickly for such a fine grit. I hone free hand and aim for a micro, micro bevel with the film. I work over the utility sink and rinse with water. In short, it serves as a really simple strop.

Larry Marshall
03-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I haven't seen/used the Pinnacle films but they look/described like these 3M films (the PSA-backed ones) from Lee Valley, only more expensive. I use the films from Lee Valley regularly and love them.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=33004&cat=1,43072

Cheers --- Larry