PDA

View Full Version : OK I admit it!!! I've helped my son to fall into the vortex

Tony Greenway
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Someone tell me, how long can a one man support the habits of 2 turners? I'm not only feeding my addiction, I've got my 12 year old telling me what turning supplies and accessories he's gotta have to get ready for an upcoming craft show. On Friday, I surprised him with a jet-mini lathe that I bought from a fellow club member, I had it set up and waiting on him when he got home from school. Let me tell you, he loved it.:D:D:D He turned all weekend. I've created an album for his turnings on my profile page and will add future photos of his turnings.

How about any members out there with kids or grand kids who are in to turning like my son Max is, to post photos of them in action, I'm sure everyone would really enjoy them........Tony

Dewey Torres
03-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Way to go Tony...just one thing. He can't make money yet so it will be you to support his vortex and yours.

Mark Norman
03-08-2009, 11:52 PM
I just posted pics of Sami turnin wood in my first bowl thread...lol

Still on my clipboard;)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/101_0919.jpg

She is only 9...

Mark Placek
03-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Great posts, Tony and Mark

I wish I had the opportunity to learn turning at that age.
I was still fortunate enough to have some very talented carpenters
guide me in the right direction. I did discover turning while at High school.

Richard Madison
03-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Mark,
You may want to build a platform to get Sami up to a more suitable elevation. Should be asap (as safe as possible) so she won't step back and trip or fall off. And maybe adjustable height. Maybe platform legs from layers of 2x6 lumber, so you can remove one layer every so often as she grows taller. Just a thought.

Mark Norman
03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Mark,
You may want to build a platform to get Sami up to a more suitable elevation. Should be asap (as safe as possible) so she won't step back and trip or fall off. And maybe adjustable height. Maybe platform legs from layers of 2x6 lumber, so you can remove one layer every so often as she grows taller. Just a thought.
Funny you mention that Richard,
I allready took the casters off the cart the lathe is mounted to. Its much beter for her now...not so much for me though...lol

Jarrod McGehee
03-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Hey Tony that's great. I bet your son can turn better than I can!:D but I'm only 16. I still got some catching up to do hopefully with less catching (pun intended) and I'll be about as good as your son. Nice to see him starting young.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2009, 7:28 AM
Yup - father & son sharing an interest - doesn't get much better than that! Thanks for sharing and I will keep an eye on your gallery for future updates to the Max collection!

David Christopher
03-09-2009, 8:46 AM
Tony, thats great that Max is into turning..thats something to share forever....I know about the 2 person addiction cause my wife has the addiction also

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2009, 8:50 AM
Father and son turning together priceless. That is great Tony.

Tony Greenway
03-09-2009, 5:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses to my post so far. It would be great if some more youth photos could be posted, I know my son really likes to see his pics that I've posted so far. He keeps checking to see if any other children out there are in to turning like he is. Maybe you just have pics of some of their turnings that you might have helped them with......Tony

David Weiser
03-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Tony that's great. I bet your son can turn better than I can!:D but I'm only 16. I still got some catching up to do hopefully with less catching (pun intended) and I'll be about as good as your son. Nice to see him starting young.

I honestly thought I was the youngest person on this Forum but apparently someone else is of high school age. Good too see there is actual interest from people my age on The Creek. Nice to meet ya buddy! :D

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2009, 11:35 PM
David - not to steal Tony's thread - but there are a number of guys here that are close to you and Jarrod's age. Check out the user profiles on: Curtis Rosche, Andrew Derhammer and Ben Gastfriend. If I left anyone out - sorry, it's late and I'm old.

David Weiser
03-09-2009, 11:53 PM
David - not to steal Tony's thread - but there are a number of guys here that are close to you and Jarrod's age. Check out the user profiles on: Curtis Rosche, Andrew Derhammer and Ben Gastfriend. If I left anyone out - sorry, it's late and I'm old.

Thanks for the info Steve!

alex carey
03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Jeeze steve, your making me feel old. I'm only 19. If its any consolation, I started turning in high school.

Rick Cicciarelli
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I like the safety gear....glasses, face shield, gloves. Good job dad!! My father instilled the same thing in me when I was growing up and now I simply CAN NOT work without a set of glasses on...I feel naked somehow. All one needs to do is stand at a grinder and wirebrush some rusty old bolts to know how important glasses are...be it a bolt the slips out of your hand, or all of those little pieces of wire that end up sticking into your shirt...certainly don't want anything like that sticking into my eyes :D

Tony Greenway
03-10-2009, 8:35 PM
Rick, in response to your comment about my son's safety measures. Only an hour before I took these pics, Max was turning a cedar blank, everything was going fine, when it suddenly flew apart and threw two large pieces of wood right into his face shield.:eek: I'm sure he avoided serious injury because he was wearing his head gear. Safe thinking is cheap insurance........Tony

Andrew Derhammer
03-10-2009, 9:43 PM
Don't let him become like me, I have my dad getting wood from his coworkers all the time, bought myself a new Nova 1624, own more turning tools than my dad. It gets addictive. Although it is a good anti-drug.

Jeff Nicol
03-11-2009, 5:54 AM
Tony, My Dad was instramental in my journey into wood working and I thank him every day! He was over last night for a fish fry and we talked of old times and all the things we have built together over the years. He got the first lathe for our shop about 5 years ago and it has been updated and is used a lot still. I applaud your son and you for sharing the time together and the sharing of a great hobby/career.

Keep having fun to all the fathers and mothers who get there children involved in woodturning/woodworking!

Jeff