PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0555X or G0457 bandsaw opinions?

Rick Cicciarelli
03-08-2009, 9:46 PM
I am going to be diving into working with some rough cut lumber that a friend has and I'll be wanting to pick up a bandsaw, jointer, and planer. I am working on a limited budget and I'll be watching CL, but for now I was thinking of starting off with a new bandsaw. I've read plenty of reviews and with my budget I am really looking at something in this price range. Both of these machines get pretty good reviews, but I figured I'd see what folks on the creek have to say about them. Either the G0555X with riser block (12" capacity, 1 1/2 HP) or the G0457 (10" capacity, 2HP). Which one and why?

Dave Cav
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I have a G0570, which is more or less the predecessor of your saw. It has a little less resaw capacity, no tall resaw fence and a semi-open cabinet; otherwise it's very similar to the G0457. I also have a 17" Grizzly G0513X2B which I use for ripping and resaw, so I don't need the extra height in the 14" saw. I like the smaller saw just fine; it's easy to use and adjust and has plenty of power for what I need to do. However, given your situation, I would probably recommend the 555 with the riser block. It will give you two more inches of capacity over the 457, and with a good 3 tpi blade you shouldn't have any problems with resawing. The 555 is also substantially cheaper, and is on sale (although the 457 has free shipping right now), and it is a VERY popular saw. I was at Grizzly a while back and I asked the warehouseman what they shipped the most of and he said the 555 saw, hands down. He said they flew out of the warehouse. Given all it's features, I think it's a great saw for the price. I was planning on getting one when I found the G0570 on Craigslist for about the same price.

Lance Norris
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I have the G0457 and its excellent. I would have gone with something bigger(513 series) but needed a bandsaw I could get down the steps into my basement shop. For that reason, I went with the 457 and have never felt the need for anything else. I posted a review on Amazon when I got it, here is the link. I recommend this saw over the 555 saw because you can get more tension from the steel frame of the 457 and you will need the higher tension for resawing.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0457-14%2522-Deluxe-Bandsaw/dp/B000E34CP2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1236618387&sr=8-1

Stephen Edwards
03-09-2009, 3:07 PM
I've been very pleased with my G0555X. Here's a review that I wrote after receiving mine and getting it tuned in. Perhaps this will help you as you make your decision.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81302

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I might that add that after having used it quite a bit for resawing for about a year now, I'm still pleased with my purchase and the performance of the saw. For my needs, It's all the BS that I need.

Best Wishes,

Jeff Mohr
03-10-2009, 8:17 AM
Got the G0555x too and love it!