PDA

View Full Version : Maple Countertop finish (WaterLox?)

Paul Mathers
03-08-2009, 8:02 PM
I am putting in maple counter tops and I was looking for a good finish and I came across WaterLox wondered if anyone had experience with this product,or any other suggestions. Thanks for any advice.

Todd Pretty
03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I've finished a couple of solid maple counter tops with olive oil, rubbed in with 600-800 wet sand paper.... multiple coats and it gives a finish with alot of depth and is not overly shiny. I've heard of issues with natural oils, but I haven't experienced any, and no customers have complained.

I haven't used waterlox, but I have used other Tung oils by themselves and over the olive oil to seal it.

Jim Becker
03-09-2009, 8:30 PM
Most folks do not use a film finish on a wood countertop as that raises the need for labor and time intensive refinishing. Typical is mineral oil or a combination of mineral oil and paraffin wax applied hot...pretty much similar to maintaining a soapstone counter like we have. When I oil our stone, I also oil our maple kitchen island.

Todd Pretty
03-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Most folks do not use a film finish on a wood countertop as that raises the need for labor and time intensive refinishing. Typical is mineral oil or a combination of mineral oil and paraffin wax applied hot...pretty much similar to maintaining a soapstone counter like we have. When I oil our stone, I also oil our maple kitchen island.

Hey Jim,

What would you classify as a film finish? Are you referring to paint? Or something else?

What does the paraffin wax do, when combined with the mineral oil?

Thanks
Todd

Jim Becker
03-10-2009, 6:50 PM
A film finish would be varnish, shellac, lacquer, water born acrylic, etc...these all will scratch and cut and can look bad if water gets under them, such as near a sink.

The mineral oil/paraffin wax combination adds some luster and a little "water beading". You make it hot (the wax needed to be melted), apply it and then scrape of any excess. It's very popular for end-grain butcher blocks, but quite usable for typical maple counter applications.

Jeff Wright
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd also like to know of users' experience with Waterlox. I intend to use wood counter tops (edge grain cherry) in a future kitchen. Especially interested in how often you needed to reapply the coating and how well your wood counter held up around the sink area. Thanks.

Paul Mathers
03-11-2009, 7:29 PM
Thanks for suggestions I am goin to try waterlox see what happens