PDA

View Full Version : Department of Public Safety Plaque

Steven Wallace
03-08-2009, 7:16 PM
I was commissioned to do the text engraving on a plaque that was carved by a local woodworker her in Arizona. I thought I would share the image with you. The plaques were commissioned by the DPS as a memorial to officers who lost their life in the line of duty.

Steven Wallace
03-08-2009, 7:19 PM
I should have said this piece started out a 14" x3" chuck of Mahogany. Finished piece was about 14" from point to point on the star and roughly 3" thick at the center. Carving work was done by Janet Bolyard at the Woodcraft store in Chandler, AZ

Anthony Welch
03-08-2009, 7:21 PM
Outstanding job on both of your parts.

Anthony

Dee Gallo
03-08-2009, 7:28 PM
Steven,

What a nice collaborative piece of work. Great registration on your part, I'll bet that was a bit nerve wracking. I guess this lays to rest the rumor that mahogany is hard to laser.

A beautiful memorial as well.

cheers, dee

Mike Null
03-08-2009, 8:08 PM
Steven

Very nice work on your part. Well sized spaced and engraved.

Mahogany is an easy wood to engrave and is actually one of the better ones.

Frank Corker
03-08-2009, 9:00 PM
Steven you did well to engrave the piece seeing as it was carved before you engraved. Next time tell her that you want to engrave and she can carve around you!

fred sanchez
03-08-2009, 10:46 PM
wow thats really nice

Albert Nix
03-09-2009, 8:41 AM
Nice work Steven!! I agree with Dee, I bet you were a bit on edge by the time you finished it.

Steven Wallace
03-09-2009, 8:57 AM
I laid it out and then masking taped off the areas to be engraved and ran a test at 100% speed and 10% power. Just what I thought, the carving was not exactly symmetrical. So I tweaked the layout a couple of times before I got it where I wanted it. Then one final alignment check and then press start. You are right, there is always that moment when doing someone else material, in this case she had many hours of labor involved, that you cross your fingers, eyes and hope you did everything right. Janet was very please and sadly to say has been commissioned to do another.

Scott Erwin
03-12-2009, 5:50 PM
Being a retired Police Officer, I think this is a great piece of work from a workmanship position. Unfortunately, the reason you were honored in making the piece, means someone had paid the ultimate price for their Community.

I know that everyone that has been honored with the position of becoming a police officer knows the risks and accepts them as their duty to the Community which they serve. Although I am retired, I know I had been faced with the possibility of paying the price, but God was with me and I came out the winner.

I am glad Steven didn't have to make anything for me, but am glad someone with obvious excellent talents has taken on the honor to do so for one of my fallen brothers or sisters.

Thank you Steven for your skills.

Scott

Steven Wallace
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Scott,

As a veteran of the military, I too know the sacrifice that those that serve in the military or law enforcement potentially make. My father served in both of these entities, he retired from the US Air Force and from the Monterey County Sheriff's Office in California.

I thank you for your service and those like you that have stood a watch. I too am glad not to have done a memorial for you, but will continue to feel privileged to support the families of our fallen comrades.