PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive

Dean Thomas
03-08-2009, 6:36 PM
Bonnie's efforts at a rattle for her grandbaby were so nicely received. She did a great job. I said that I'd made one and had a couple more on my bench to do, but had no picture. Wrong. Grandma fixed that. The little guy is no relation, but in a dearly loved family from church. Grandpa says he picked it up as soon as he heard the sound and it immediately went for a taste drive.

Rattle is the prescribed 1-11/16" in diameter and done in maple. Finish is absolutely food safe--none. Sanded and then polished to within an inch of its life. :)

Paul Douglass
03-08-2009, 6:41 PM
And picture "priceless"! Great job.

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2009, 7:06 PM
Boy - talk about giving your work the once-over!!! Hope it met with his approval! Love the photo!

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2009, 8:02 PM
Boy giving that thing the once over Dean. Can't be sure if it is approved or not.:eek::D Priceless picture.

Bonnie Campbell
03-09-2009, 6:25 AM
The picture IS priceless lol

"The Rattle Inspector"

Rusty Smith
03-09-2009, 1:30 PM
Great picture. I need to make one for my grandson. How about a tutorial?

P.S. Sorry I missed the pen turning gig. My little pickup doesn't take to that much snow too well.

Dean Thomas
03-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks! The picture has gotten great reviews! ;)

Pretty simple, really. I'll send you some measurements privately. (Others wishing them should contact me by PM or email for Rattle.PDF)

Basic is that I used a piece of seasoned maple that was ridiculously hard. I cut a piece that was 2x2. Overall length of this rattle was about 5-1/2 or 5-3/4" long and 1-3/4 or minimum of 1-11/16" in diameter. That's evidently what the federal government has deemed an appropriate diameter for rattles and teething toys.

Handle is 3/4", based on the thickness of my index finger and the tyke's grip on same. I used two Forstner bits to do most of the hollowing, then a scraper marked to the appropriate depth to round the corners and smooth things out. I put a teaspoon of lentils in the cavity to make a nice, soft sound. Tried rice and beans and other things, but figured since I'm going "green" with a wooden rattle, if the sucker drops and breaks open, at least the kid will get nutrition if he eats the noise makers. :cool:

1-3/4 o.d. bottom part uses a 1-1/2" Forstner. Top used a 1-1/4 so that I could create the tenon on the top chunk. Hollow, reassemble with lentils, turn to diameter, sand like crazy, then burnish like crazy. No finish so no possible chipping of any finish at all, and no possible allergies to various oils.

You were missed at the KC Pen fest, but we're talking about another one or two, again on the 4th Saturdays, 8:30 to noon. We did another 50 pens and one of the buys brought in an additional 20 to be assembled. And another 100 kits due any day. New friends from the WW Show in Feb are going to help assemble and glue up and such. Exciting stuff.