PDA

View Full Version : New wood source

Neal Addy
03-08-2009, 5:58 PM
Anyone need any "Black Stinkwood"? :D

I had a new wood source brought to my attention today. Looks like a good place for very reasonably priced African exotics. Can't say I've ever heard of most of these woods.

zambeziexotics.com

I've added them to my website list but I have NOT done business with them (yet). If anyone gets a chance to deal with them let me know what you think.

Mark Placek
03-08-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm fortunate to have all the exotic wood I could ever ask for about 20 miles from my shop.
advantagelumber.com in Buffalo, New York has the best selection, quality and quantity of any retail supply house I've ever found.
I've known these guys personally for about 9 years now, They have one of my most impressive bowls on display there; Made from Tulipwood and Wenge.

Brian Effinger
03-09-2009, 1:03 PM
Mark, I have always wondered about them. Can anyone just walk in off of the street and buy lumber?

Brian

Mark Placek
03-10-2009, 9:00 AM
Brian,

Advantage does sell retail, talk to either Jon, Shawn or Tom.
Tell them the guy who makes square bowls sent you.
They also have thin exotic wood and cut-offs.
Even their scrap pile is worth looking through.

I'm planning a trip there in the next few weeks,
PM me if you would like to meet me there and I'll introduce you to the managers.

Bob Hallowell
03-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Mark and Brian another place in New York is westpennhardwoods.com it's in Olean. the warehouse is amazing and the let you walk thur and pick everything yourself

Brian Effinger
03-10-2009, 9:59 PM
That's another place I've been wanting to visit, Bob. The woodturning club I belong to went on a "field trip" there last October. Unfortunately I only joined last month, so I'll have to make my way down there on my own one of these days.

Mark Placek
03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Mark and Brian another place in New York is westpennhardwoods.com it's in Olean. the warehouse is amazing and the let you walk through and pick everything yourself

Bob, I've been there a few times, nice selection of wood.
It's about 80 miles away though, Advantage is a lot closer and they give me special consideration when they "tally up" my purchase. :D

Chris Barnett
03-12-2009, 6:53 PM
I notice that they have white sneezewood at a good price :D. Must have used twenty or so of those blanks over the last week. Trying to recover from dire respiratory distress now.