PDA

View Full Version : I did not think UPS worked weekends....

Tim Morton
03-08-2009, 5:40 PM
I ordered this ram yesterday afternoon..i'm expecting the truck to pull into my driveway any minute :-)

E. Syracuse,
ny, us 03/08/2009 6:10 p.m. Departure scan
03/08/2009 5:26 p.m. Arrival scan louisville,
ky, us 03/08/2009 4:00 p.m. Departure scan
03/08/2009 4:36 a.m. Arrival scan chicago,
il, us 03/07/2009 8:42 p.m. Departure scan
03/07/2009 6:37 p.m. Origin scan palatine,
il, us 03/07/2009 3:39 p.m. Pickup scan

David G Baker
03-08-2009, 6:21 PM
I am not positive but I always thought that UPS moves shipments across the country on weekends and maybe even on some holidays but they do not deliver to businesses or residences on the weekend unless weekend delivery is paid for. I could be confusing UPS with some of the FedEx services.

Rick Moyer
03-08-2009, 7:02 PM
If E. Syracuse is the closest UPS terminal to you I would say it's on a little brown truck for delivery Monday 9th. I would suspect there is one more stop(terminal) closer than that which will probably have the package late Sat 8th, then onto a little brown truck, again for Mon delivery. UPS doesn't do home/bus deliveries on Sundays and only certain Saturday deliveries AFAIK.

Gene Howe
03-08-2009, 7:02 PM
I've received several shipments, at the house, on the weekend.

Brian Elfert
03-08-2009, 7:18 PM
I didn't think UPS semi trailers hauling ground freight do much movement on weekends except maybe at holidays. Most of my ground tracking seems to stop on the weekends.

Aren't UPS semi drivers union which limits the hours they drive per and per week? Non-union drivers will often drive the daily and weekly hour limits per the government just to make ends meet which means working a lot of weekends.

Brian Elfert
03-08-2009, 7:20 PM
I've received several shipments, at the house, on the weekend.

Are you sure it was UPS? Fedex Ground delivers to residences Tuesday thrugh Saturday.

Rob Russell
03-08-2009, 7:33 PM
My experience is that UPS does Mon-Fri, Fedex Mon-Sat.

Joe Pelonio
03-08-2009, 7:59 PM
I ship regularly with UPS and get stuff too, and that has been my experience too, M-F except when they get slammed around the holidays and deliver some of Friday's late.

Curt Harms
03-08-2009, 8:03 PM
delivers on Saturday. The normal ground delivery doesn't AFAIK.

Gene Howe
03-08-2009, 8:11 PM
Are you sure it was UPS? Fedex Ground delivers to residences Tuesday thrugh Saturday.

Yep, Big Brown truck.

Brent Leonard
03-08-2009, 8:50 PM
My secretaries husband is a UPS driver (local deliveries).What she has told me in the past, if memory serves....

UPS ground, M-F
UPS Air, M-Sat, (I think that means overnight and 2 & 3 day )

The saturday guy is not the regular M-F guy. There is a urgent delivery guy who has a supersized route, for only the guaranteed delivery items.

Tom Veatch
03-08-2009, 9:34 PM
Just checked the tracking on a UPS delivery of compressor repair parts. Not sure how much, but apparently something happens on the weekend.

It was logged into a Maryland terminal at 7:22 pm today. Started in Virginia 2 days ago. Don't seem to me like from Virginia to Maryland in 45 1/2 hours is getting it a whole lot closer to Kansas.

But, more than once, I've watched deliveries from south of us arrive at the Wichita facility, continue on to Kansas City, turn around and return to Wichita for delivery. I imagine they know what they're doing, but I don't think I'd do it that way.

Gene Howe
03-09-2009, 8:44 AM
My secretaries husband is a UPS driver (local deliveries).What she has told me in the past, if memory serves....

UPS ground, M-F
UPS Air, M-Sat, (I think that means overnight and 2 & 3 day )

The saturday guy is not the regular M-F guy. There is a urgent delivery guy who has a supersized route, for only the guaranteed delivery items.

That must be why We've had Sat. deliveries. They were before Christmas and were perishable.

Tim Morton
03-09-2009, 5:18 PM
It arived this morning..so i order somethign at 3 on saturday afternoon and pay for 2-day blue label..figuring it would shiptoday for wednesday and in stead it arived today...i order alot and this is the first time that has ever happend, and since it is ram for my new computer that is coming tomorrow the timing was perfect:cool:

PS, and yes it is a mac *LOL*

Brian Elfert
03-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Lenovo shipped me some computer accessories two day air the weekend before Christmas. The package hit UPS at 8:45 pm Friday evening and was in Minneapolis by Saturday evening. I had the packages Monday morning.

The scheduled delivery date was Wednesday because the packages hit UPS too late for the Friday cutoff. I can't complain about UPS service that time.

But, nothing beats a regional package delivery company called Spee-Dee Delivery Service. I ordered something from McMaster-Carr in Chicago on a Monday afternoon around 5 pm. The package was on my door step in Minnesota the next day! McMaster-Carr typically uses UPS ground and I was expecting Wednesday or Thursday arrival.

Rick Moyer
03-10-2009, 3:56 PM
Lenovo shipped me some computer accessories two day air the weekend before Christmas. The package hit UPS at 8:45 pm Friday evening and was in Minneapolis by Saturday evening. I had the packages Monday morning.

The scheduled delivery date was Wednesday because the packages hit UPS too late for the Friday cutoff. I can't complain about UPS service that time.

But, nothing beats a regional package delivery company called Spee-Dee Delivery Service. I ordered something from McMaster-Carr in Chicago on a Monday afternoon around 5 pm. The package was on my door step in Minnesota the next day! McMaster-Carr typically uses UPS ground and I was expecting Wednesday or Thursday arrival.

I think UPS will sometimes throw regular ground pkgs onto a not-full plane around Christmas time, especially if someone thinks it may be a Christmas present. I wouldn't want to count on it though.

It arived this morning..so i order somethign at 3 on saturday afternoon and pay for 2-day blue label..figuring it would shiptoday for wednesday and in stead it arived today...i order alot and this is the first time that has ever happend, and since it is ram for my new computer that is coming tomorrow the timing was perfect:cool:

PS, and yes it is a mac *LOL*

Did you know where it was being shipped from? I occasionally order Peterbilt parts from the nearest dealer and since they are in the one day area for UPS I never order express. I always get them the next day if ordered before 4 p.m.

Tim Morton
03-10-2009, 7:57 PM
Did you know where it was being shipped from? I occasionally order Peterbilt parts from the nearest dealer and since they are in the one day area for UPS I never order express. I always get them the next day if ordered before 4 p.m.

started in chigago saturday afternoon when i ordered it...and made it to vermont monday morning.

Rick Moyer
03-10-2009, 9:38 PM
Wow that's pretty quick. Congratulations.