PDA

View Full Version : would this grinder be any good?

curtis rosche
03-08-2009, 12:46 PM
would this grinder be any good, or should i stick with the delta from lowes?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44225_-1______14151%7C14200%7C44225?listingPage=true&Special=false

Cyril Griesbach
03-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Looks like a clone of the slow speed grinder Woodcraft sells but higher speed and most likely the wrong wheels for turning tool sharpening. By the time you put on some proper wheels you might as well get the one from Woodcraft and be done with it for less total money. So I guess my answer is...No.

Bill Bolen
03-08-2009, 1:03 PM
You will spend another $40 for the right wheels.I agree withCyril, woodcraft offers the best all around deal...Bill...

Larry Marley
03-08-2009, 1:45 PM
I think 3550 rpm on an 8 inch grinder is too fast.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-08-2009, 5:02 PM
I agree with the others. I have the woodcraft slow speed with the nice white "proper" wheels. It isn't a $500 professional grinder, like a friend of mine with a full metals shop has, but it is a great grinder that does a fabulous job for me.

The first time I tried an HSS 1" spindle gouge tool on a regular highspeed grinder I burned thru about an 1/8th inch of the tool before I has expected it to even have started cutting. A 40 grit wheel at that speed will remove material amazingly fast.

Spend the extra $40 and get the right tool. You won't ever regret getting the right thing to start with!

Joshua

Harvey M. Taylor
03-08-2009, 5:09 PM
So There!!

Bob Hallowell
03-09-2009, 7:37 AM
Curtis, It would be just fine as the speed debate has been debated many times and many of us use a 3450rpm grinder. But you would need a better wheel.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2009, 8:47 AM
Curtis by the time you buy this grinder and put on good wheels you will have as much into it as you would the Woodcraft 8" slow speed. This grinder $59.99 plus wheels $39.99 is $99.98. Slow speed grinder at woodcraft that comes with good stones is $99.99.

Don Orr
03-09-2009, 3:50 PM
I'm going to be the one who says go for it. If it is better than what you have now, and you can afford it, great. I use an 8" hi speed grinder all the time and have been for many years. I do not have the fancy expensive white/blue/pink/green wheels and my tools are very sharp. The secret is a well dressed wheel and a light touch. Jigs help a lot. There are plans for making your own "Varigrind/Wolverine" type jigs on the Net. I made my own years ago and still use it all the time. You do not have to be hi-tech to do good work. Coarse wheel for shaping, finer wheel for sharpening. Not brain surgery here. Now this grinder might vibrate some when running. First, dress the wheel round as best you can. If it still vibrates a lot, loosen one wheel and rotate it on the shaft 1/4 turn, tighten it up and check it. If it still vibrates, keep doing this till the vibration is the least you can get it. Just be careful. Also, while you have the wheel off, check for cracks. A solid wheel will have a nice "ring" to it when tapped with a knuckle or piece of wood. If there is a dull thud, it is cracked and very dangerous. Use this grinder to build your sharpening skills, sell some of your work and save up for different wheels if you think you need them.

Your turning skills are coming along nicely, so I understand the desire to be able to sharpen better-good for you.

Keep turning-keep learning-have fun-be safe !

Brian McDermaid
03-09-2009, 4:02 PM
Correct me if im wrong.. but don't most 8" grinders use wheel with a 1" dia.? That grinder says it uses 8" x 3/4" wheels.

Don Orr
03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Correct me if im wrong.. but don't most 8" grinders use wheel with a 1" dia.? That grinder says it uses 8" x 3/4" wheels.

Good point Brian, 1" wheels are nicer to work with-more surface area and less likely the tool will slip off.

Gordon Seto
03-10-2009, 2:16 PM
Something also didn't sound right on the specs.
Size: 8
Voltage Rating: 120
Current Rating: 2.1
Power Rating: 3/4

This thing either has the super Energy Star rating or cooking with numbers. 3/4 horse power with merely 2.1 Amps?

The Woodcraft slow speed grinder was always around $80 on sale every other month. With 2 decent OEM white wheels and 90 days satisfaction guarantee; that is the way I would go.