PDA

View Full Version : You know the economy is really going down the tubes when...

Dan Mages
03-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Is it me or is Costco really reducing the Sunday sample buffet? You used to be able to practically eat lunch there for free. I guess even they are being hurt by the economy! :rolleyes:

Dan

Jeffrey Makiel
03-08-2009, 4:43 PM
I quit being a member of CostCo. $50 membership fee for the privilege of walking thru the door was beginning to irritate me. Besides, I never saw the savings. Often the large lot size of food items resulted in waste or spoilage. I also noticed that sales at my local ShopRite, Foodtown or A&P were often less per pound. Also, tools were no special bargain either.

-Jeff :)

Clifford Mescher
03-08-2009, 5:28 PM
I have been a Costco member for over 17 years. Last year I bought a widescreen TV and a month later the price went down $200. They credited my charge card for the whole $200. I have many such stories. Clifford.

David G Baker
03-08-2009, 6:53 PM
When I belonged to Costco I had a TV that died just under one year later, they took it back no questions asked. That right there was worth the price of admission. I learned not to buy large quantities of items that have a potential for spoilage in short periods of time. If there was a Costco near me I would join in a minute even if the free food samples stopped altogether. :D
I miss Price Club, it had a better selection of technical items that interested me. I am now stuck with Sam's Club which is okay but it still is not a Costco.

Larry Edgerton
03-08-2009, 7:02 PM
Never been in one. Don't buy from chains......

Brian Elfert
03-08-2009, 7:28 PM
Never been in one. Don't buy from chains......

Where do you shop for groceries, Habib's Gas Mart?

I would be hard pressed to find an independent grocer without driving many miles to a small rural town. Even then they are probably affiliated with Supervalu, IGA, or Fairway Foods, but the owner might only own that one store. (Does Fairway Foods still exist?)

I assume you don't buy hardware as I've never seen a hardware store not affiliated with Ace, Hardware Hank, Do It Best, or some other hardware chain. Most hardware stores are independently owned so maybe that counts.

Brian Elfert
03-08-2009, 7:33 PM
Costco only recently opened a local store. I have checked it out, but Sam's Club charges less for membership and has a few items I buy a lot of. I have been eyeing a plasma TV at Costco that may be worth the membership fee.

I operate a concession stand six times a year and buy most everything besides pop at Sam's Club. I might not save money with the $40 fee, but they have things that no grocer sells and I can buy things in larger quantities which makes things easier. I will sometimes buy items elsewhere when on sale.

Mike Henderson
03-08-2009, 7:36 PM
I've shopped at Costco for a bunch of years and have always been satisfied with their selection, prices, and service. Around here, the staff is friendly, helpful, and long term (the staff doesn't turn over). From what I've heard, they treat their people right and provide benefits such as medical and 401K.

Hard to think of anything bad to say about them.

Mike

Joe Pelonio
03-08-2009, 7:57 PM
We have been with Costco 20+ years, Sam's Club 15. Both save us a lot of money despite the memberships. A big freezer does help.

As for the samples, ours still has them, some good stuff too, but then ours is across the street from corporate.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2009, 8:17 PM
The amount of free samples that we see at our local Costco varies....sometimes a lot....sometimes few.

Costco.....they provide a good product for a good price generally.

Peter Luch
03-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Out here you join just for the reduced gas prices.

Costco was on avg $1.00 per gal cheaper than anywhere else when gas was at its peak. That $50 membership fee looked REAL SMALL then.

Now the difference is about .30 to .40 cheaper per gallon. The membership still looks tiny!

Also just about everyone here swears by Costco meat, way better than any other store including Safeways top cuts.
I can get a Ribeye steak at Costco, throw it on the BBQ and its way more tender than what I get at Ruth's Chris!!!

Aloha, Pete

David Weiser
03-09-2009, 3:05 AM
We have been with Costco 20+ years, Sam's Club 15. Both save us a lot of money despite the memberships. A big freezer does help.

As for the samples, ours still has them, some good stuff too, but then ours is across the street from corporate.

You guys and your flagship stores, lol. The Home Depot I used to shop at in Atlanta was right across the street from corporate and I get better service from more knowledgeable people out here in Bend Oregon. 2500 miles away instead of 1, go figure...

Pat Germain
03-09-2009, 9:41 PM

LOL! I hear Habib now has a bait shack out back. So, if you feel like some sushi for supper...

I think Costco is awesome. I'm typically not at all interested in the free samples. So, I haven't noticed if they've fallen off. Shoot, you can still get a Kosher hot dog and a drink for a couple of bucks at Costco.

I need to start buying gas there. I can almost hit Costco with a rock from my driveway. But it was built recently and I keep forgetting they have a gas station.

Dave Verstraete
03-10-2009, 6:44 AM

I would be hard pressed to find an independent grocer without driving many miles to a small rural town. Even then they are probably affiliated with Supervalu, IGA, or Fairway Foods, but the owner might only own that one store. (Does Fairway Foods still exist?)

I assume you don't buy hardware as I've never seen a hardware store not affiliated with Ace, Hardware Hank, Do It Best, or some other hardware chain. Most hardware stores are independently owned so maybe that counts.

Excuse me...but..if Larry lives in the Upper Peninsula, there is Rashid's Market on Hwy 26 (I think) near the town of McMillan.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2009, 3:03 PM
Fruit from Costco is always better than fruit from Safeway. I have no idea why but it is larger, sweeter, tastier, etc.

We pay $100/yr and USUALLY get enough in the refund check to do better than if we paid the $40/yr membership.

Tires at Costco can be a very good deal. Tools...eh, not so. Oil is okay. Overall, we're pretty happy with Costco. Members going on 10 years now.

Eric DeSilva
03-10-2009, 3:16 PM
Hard to think of anything bad to say about them.

Their parking lot management sucks. Too many people... too few spaces. ;)

Burt Alcantara
03-10-2009, 3:21 PM
We have the Executive Membership which costs more but between our purchases and prescriptions we end up paying about $25 a year, often less. Got our cell service and TV, heavy duty ladder. All meats, dry goods, soda. They have good artisan breads at good prices. Muir Glenn tomatoes that we can't get anywhere else.

We are set up to deal with volume buying since we both don't like to shop. Have a separate freezer for meats, large pantry area in basement.

We love Costco.

Burt

Dan Gonzales
03-10-2009, 3:48 PM
We have the executive membership at Costco. The end of year cashback pays for itself at the end of the year. I always go there for gas as their prices are always better than anyone else around here.

I like the fact that they stand behind everything they sell and the price they sell it for. If it's not to your satisfaction they take it back.

Dan G
---------------
Whittier, CA

Larry Edgerton
03-10-2009, 9:21 PM
Excuse me...but..if Larry lives in the Upper Peninsula, there is Rashid's Market on Hwy 26 (I think) near the town of McMillan.

Highway 28, and I have made maple syrup in his brothers sugar shack, remodeled his nephews store, American Spoon foods in Petoskey, and stop there whenever I go by.