PDA

View Full Version : cutting plywood with a crosscut blade?

keith ouellette
03-08-2009, 8:55 AM
I have a frued 80 tooth ultimate cross cut blade.

Would that be a good blade to use on plywood because of the number of teeth or would I be better off with a combination blade?

I can't buy a blade for plywood.

Myk Rian
03-08-2009, 9:10 AM
The way I look at it, the more teeth, the better. Use a ZCI also.

Greg Coleman
03-08-2009, 9:23 AM
I have a frued 80 tooth ultimate cross cut blade.

Would that be a good blade to use on plywood because of the number of teeth or would I be better off with a combination blade?

I can't buy a blade for plywood.

Tape the cut line on both sides with blue painters tape also. Make sure it is good and stuck to the piece. When you peel it off peel in the direction of the cut. Raise you blade as high as you are comfortable with. Cut good side up.

keith ouellette
03-08-2009, 9:27 AM
I guess I also should have asked if cutting plywood is harder on a blade than actual wood is? That question just dawned on me.

Brent Leonard
03-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I use the Freud 60 tooth fine-finish blade to cut plywood all the time, produces great cuts...

Bob Rufener
03-08-2009, 1:48 PM
I use an 80 tooth blade for plywood and the results are very good. I never got good results using a combination blade. About the effect on teeth going through plywood vs standard wood but I'd have to think it would be harder on the blade going through plywood but really am not sure. .

Howard Acheson
03-08-2009, 1:51 PM
Your 80 tooth should give you a better cut than a 40 or 50 tooth combo blade. Of course, cut is also very dependent on the sharpness of the blade. The height you adjust your blade will affect the smoothness of the cut as well as how cleanly is cuts the top and bottom of the cut. Play around with different heights using the plywood you intend to cut.

Use a freshly made ZCI for the best cut.

Here is how Freud has answered this question before:

QUOTE..........................

I feel this one has been rehashed a few times but I must interject again that if you are using the correct Freud blade for the application, the blade should be set so that 1/2 of a tooth is protruding through the material. So, if you are cutting 3" thick material with a 10" blade, the blade would be at full height. The idea is to have 3-5 teeth in the cut when ripping and 5-7 for crosscut and manmade materials. If you cannot acheive this and keep the blade at 1/2 tooth height, you have the wrong blade for the application.

------------------
Charles M
Freud, Inc.

CLOSE QUOTE.............................................

scott spencer
03-08-2009, 1:53 PM
The LU85 should be a great blade for ply. You should get very low tearout and polished edges. Using a ZCI, scoring and taping the ply are all ways to improve the results even more.