PDA

View Full Version : Color filling

fred sanchez
03-08-2009, 12:17 AM
How would i go about color filling this engraving on this walnut plaque?

thanks
fred

fred sanchez
03-08-2009, 12:19 AM
forgot upload the picture

Anthony Welch
03-08-2009, 1:28 AM
Fred,

I used acrylic paint to fill this engraving. the wood had 3 coats of lacquer.

I am by no means an expert on this. So wait until a few other chime in and agree or disagree. Maybe we'll both learn of a better way.

Anthony

Anthony Welch
03-08-2009, 1:29 AM
Forgot to attach pic. too......

Rodne Gold
03-08-2009, 3:40 AM
The best way to colour fill is to mask the wood with a paper based sign application tape , laser thru that and airbrush the colour into the engraved sections , peel the mask off after. You might have issues with paint seeping via the grain into un engraved sections or spoiling the wood surface if it creeps in under the mask - best to laquer the wood before engraving,

Mike Null
03-08-2009, 8:05 AM
Fred
Walnut plaques are the easiest to color fill as they are forgiving. As the others have said, be sure there is a finish on the plaque. A paper mask will cut down on cleanup. For black, ordinary liquid shoe polish works very well; for other colors acrylic craft paints or spray on paints will work.

I like to use something that is water soluble.

I would probably engrave a little deeper than the plaque you've shown.

Dan Hintz
03-08-2009, 9:50 AM
Fred,

While what the others have said about masking is great advice, it appears the logo has already been lasered onto the plaque and the masking removed, so the ideas are a non-starter for you. This makes it a little more difficult, but not impossible.

Give the plaque another coat of sealer to ensure the grain is sealed. Once dry, you'll have to hand apply the color by brush. If there is any really fine detail, thin the paint so it flows into the detail, but not so much it overflows into areas not of the same color.

Mike Mackenzie
03-09-2009, 1:10 PM
Fred,

Try just using black shoe polish.

Bill Cunningham
03-10-2009, 9:38 PM
If it's got a good smooth finish, and black is OK, then turtle wax color cure car polish can simply be brushed on, worked into the engraving, let dry, then what ever is on the finished surface will simply wipe right off with a dry cloth..

Mark La Tourette
03-13-2009, 1:18 PM
anyone ever use wood smoke color darc?

bob pfohler
03-13-2009, 11:27 PM
When I color fill wood plaques I use them same technique as when painting large wood signs.
1.Paint or clear coat the plaque.
2. mask with stencil film
3. engrave
4. apply 2 coats of 3lb. cut de-waxed shellac to the engraved area to seal the exposed end grain . A couple of coats of rattle can lacquer also works.
5. Paint or fill the area
6. when dry sand lightly across the area to break the seal of shellac from the stencil.
7. remove stencil.

Mike Null
03-14-2009, 4:24 AM
Bob

4. apply 2 coats of 3lb. cut de-waxed shellac to the engraved area to seal the exposed end grain . A couple of coats of rattle can lacquer also works.

This is especially important with lighter woods.

George Brown
03-14-2009, 8:14 AM
2. mask with stencil film

I have seen so many different masking films, it is getting confusing. Can you point me to the one you use?

fred sanchez
03-14-2009, 3:20 PM
just want to say thanks for all the advice and help.
i used the black shoe polish trick worked well but it was too dark so i ended up going with a white enamel fill and it came out looking pretty good.

Tim Bateson
03-14-2009, 3:43 PM
Fred, Although the image quality is quite good, it looks more like a negative. Next go around, try inverting the image, then use the black.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
03-14-2009, 3:43 PM
Good job Fred. Looks great! Did you end up just wiping on and then wiping off the white enamel so that all that was left was in the engraving?

Mike Null
03-14-2009, 4:56 PM
Fred

Very good job. I would not have thought of using white.

Tim may be on to something but I think with black you would do it as you did but with white you would invert it.

fred sanchez
03-14-2009, 5:11 PM
the plaque is going to be used on a TV show as a prop on a wall in an office set. im thinking that the white would really bring out the image being that the plaque is so dark . and tim i will try next time inverting the image see how it comes out

mike: i used a squeege to apply the paint then whiped it off then i used a lil paint thinner to do a light cleanup
thanks guys

George M. Perzel
03-14-2009, 6:31 PM
Hi Guys;
One of the easiest ways to fill a finished plaque/whatever is to use Elmers wood fill-thin it out with water a bit if its too thick. Sp[read it on-let in dry about 1 minute and wipe off the excess. This stuff won't bleed into the wood like stains or shoe polish and dries quickly. Also comes in white, natural, walnut, red oak, mahogany.
I do not have any relationship with Elmer, the company, or any other left wing liberal group.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

fred sanchez
03-14-2009, 6:36 PM
hey george where do i get that ? id love to try it

George M. Perzel
03-14-2009, 6:40 PM
Hey Fred;
Home Depot, Lowes, just about any hardware/lumber store carries Elmers-maybe not in all shades. The Home Depot here carries all of them in various sizes-cheap and works great-no muss no fuss.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

George M. Perzel
03-15-2009, 5:38 PM
Forgot to mention;
Elmers can also be colored -I use craft store acyrlics.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

John W. Love
03-17-2009, 9:09 PM
I have been using craft store acrylic paints for color fills on plaques and picture frames. Squeegee it on to get the paint in the engraving, and then clean the excess immediately (and I mean as soon as you get done working it in...the one time I let it dry on the wood before I cleaned it, the paint seeped into the wood grain even though the frame was sealed ie. engravable frame from Laserbits.) with a paper towel soaked in isopropyl alcohol. I have noticed some (minimal) wicking into the wood on occasion. I will have to try sealing the item first. I also intend to see how masking works out. We originally were using color fill from Laserbits, but that was a bit pricey and we discovered the acrylic paints work just as well and come in a wider array of colors.

~Alicia

Clyde Baumwell
03-18-2009, 8:26 AM
what is turtle wax color cure car polish?

Bill Cunningham
03-19-2009, 9:35 PM
what is turtle wax color cure car polish?

Turtle wax may call it something else in the U.S. But you should be able to find it in any automotive store that sells car waxes etc.. It comes in a few colours, but black is really the only one that works for wood.. It's used on cars to wax/polish/remove minor scratches etc.. Try this Google link

http://www.google.ca/search?q=turtle+wax+color+cure+car+wax&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Frank Corker
03-20-2009, 6:28 AM
Fred, Although the image quality is quite good, it looks more like a negative. Next go around, try inverting the image, then use the black.

I agree with Tim. The image has turned out really well and praise to you for that, but a good tip to remember is that on dark objects, negative is what is required. That said, still looks very nice.

fred sanchez
03-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Once again thanks for all your tips and coments :)