PDA

View Full Version : Router table and LS Positioner mounted on 22124 hybrid saw - options?

Steve Hilberg
03-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I have a Craftsman 22124 hybrid table saw with an Incra TS fence and LS positioner (32' rip capacity). I currently have a router table mounted on a stand, but to save space I'd like to mount it with the table saw so I can use it with the positioner. To save space, I really need to mount this on the right side. The router table I have is too big for TS mounting, so I will be getting a smaller table and selling the one I have. However, I have run into a couple of issues and wonder if anyone has done this on the same set up.

The table saw has a big access door on the right side. You cannot mount a router in a table installed in place of the right cast iron wing because the door would interfere with it. If I leave the cast iron wing and install the router table adjacent to it, then I don't think there will be enough clearance to use the fence and positioner with the router.

Another option might be to replace the access door on he saw with something that has a smaller profile that I may be able to fabricate. I'm not sure why this door is as large as it is, but I suspect the size and shape has something to do with airflow for dust collection.

I don't want to get another router table and find it won't work in a right side configuration, so I'm hoping someone out there has done something similar with this saw and the Incra system.

Thanks!

Bob Potter
03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi.
Not quite the same but I have a Delta contractor saw with a Incra 25" L.S. table saw fence. My router is mounted on the left side and it works great.
As you probably know you can move the rails one way or another to reach the capacity you need.
By it being on the left side you can leave your router set up and still use the table saw fence for ripping and miter gauge for cross cutting short pcs.

Your 32" would give you a little more reach than my 25".

Hope this helps, Bob

P.S. even with the right side extension wing in place you could probably mount your router on the right side and again by moving the rails to the right you should be able to make it work.

J. Greg Jones
03-08-2009, 6:02 AM
Another option might be to replace the access door on he saw with something that has a smaller profile that I may be able to fabricate. I'm not sure why this door is as large as it is, but I suspect the size and shape has something to do with airflow for dust collection.

Tilt your saw's blade all the way to the left and you'll see why the door is that size. The motor tilts up and to the right, taking up much of the space in the door.

As Bob mentioned, you can move the Incra rails to get additional capacity. With a left-tilt saw, do you ever use the fence on the left side of the blade? Move the rails to the right so that the end of the rail is flush with the first bracket in the right wing and you'll have about 48" of capacity to the right of the blade, or move the rail flush with the left bracket on the main table (no bracket in the left wing) and you'll have about 55" of capacity to the right of the blade.

If you have space at the right side of the saw to walk around, you can also leave the rails where they are and flip the Incra carriage around so that the fence faces to the right. Incra has pictures of this setup in the 'TS-LS Joinery System' section on their Web site.

Pete Janke
03-08-2009, 8:44 PM
I don't have the Incra but here is my solution. I mounted a Hitachi M12V2 in a Woodpecker UniLift with an Xtreme Xtension in a home-made table. It larger than and in place of the original wood extension table on the right side. I ran into the same problem with the large cabinet access door when I wanted to add a dust enclosure around my router. I used a large plastic container from Target and mounted it beneath the router table with a small bracket on one side and a piece of piano hinge on the other. I used two sided camper shell insulated tape to seal the container to the table. The large hole on the front side of the saw allows for air and gives access to the speed dial on the Hitachi. The enclosure and router/lift are easily removable if necessary.

Guy Germaine
03-09-2009, 6:57 AM
Here's my setup. Since I took this picture, I built a box that encloses the router. I made the box with a lip around the top and some homemade "clips" that hold it in place. When I need to the door on the saw, I just lift the router out, and drop the box. The door opens all the way.

http://www.fototime.com/75B8D696C096675/standard.jpg

Scott Wigginton
03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Pete, love the setup and light enclosure for DC. Any more details avail on the construction of the extension wing it sits in? Is it a very thin torsion box?

Daryl Henderson
03-09-2009, 2:52 PM
I have the same saw and looking at the Incra TS-LS Jointery System. Their compatability chart recommends the 92" rails for the right mount router. They sell a table for this or a kit to mount your own table.

Perhaps they sell only the rails.

glenn bradley
03-09-2009, 5:13 PM
My router table is on the left but it has it's own fence. I do have a storage pedestal on the right as I have shifted my fence tube over as previously described to get the 40" rip capacity and I have added a couple more CI wings so I need the support. The pedestal blocks the motor door somewhat; it opens to about 45* which is all I need for routine maintenance. If I ever have to do anything "serious" in there, I will be taking things apart anyway ;-) Hope this helps with your decision.

Steve Hilberg
03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Peter - that's a clever dust collection system for the router - never would have thought of using a plastic container.

Since I am a little tight on space (and part of the reason I am combining a router table with the saw), I think I will probably go with the left-side table. I can slide the carriage over to a second set of stops on the rail to use the LS on the router table.

-Steve-

Pete Janke
03-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Pete, love the setup and light enclosure for DC. Any more details avail on the construction of the extension wing it sits in? Is it a very thin torsion box?

Thanks. I had been thinking about this setup and saw another Creeker had done something similar. I would love a long table like Guy's but I don't have the room and wanted to avoid having legs beneath the router table end. The router table is a sandwich of birch ply, MDF, and snap together wood flooring with poplar trim. With the big router and lift, it is fairly heavy. I have the Rockler mobile base with the single caster. To even out the load, I moved the single caster to the left front of the base and added another caster to the right front. Seems to support the saw fine.

Mike Goetzke
03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Sorry I don't have more pics but this is what I did on my 22124 (before I sold it):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/22124%20TS/IMG_2699.jpg

I could apply/remove the positioner in seconds.

Mike