PDA

View Full Version : Desk...it gets worse!

Mark Singer
07-17-2004, 9:12 AM
This desk is ready to be refinished. It is also about 15 years old. It is made from "fiddle back " maple and the wood still looks beautiful though well used. A couple of coffee cup stains later...on a finish that was just tung oil and wax. The table has a large sandblasted glass insert and steel frame. It has gotten some use as you can see! The joinery is still tight. This design won an AIA (American Institute of Architects) Chapter Award in 1992 and a second one from the Laguna Beach Architectural Guild.

Jim Becker
07-17-2004, 9:22 AM
I love the way your designs always have something "special" about them while retaining the most important thing of all...usability. This is a good example. Your combination of materials and the gentle curves make this piece unique, but it's well designed for work with great storage and a large, functional surface area. Great job! I hope your "refinish" doesn't take away the patina of use...which is the ultimate compliment for any furniture.

Jason Tuinstra
07-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Mark, I can see why this one won the awards. Great design. I like how you used glass on the writting surface where the most wear and tear would be and reserved the figured maple for the less used areas. Very nice. Thanks for showing it off.

Dan Mages
07-17-2004, 11:12 AM
That is a wonderful desk! So, you are refinishing the desk because of the coffee cup stains? Personally, I would leave the stains on the table. To me, it adds character to the desk. It shows that the desk is well used and enjoyed. Best of luck with the refinishing!!

Dan