PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0563 2 HP Oscillating Edge Sander

David Winer
03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I have been "researching" oscillating edge sanders. One that fits my needs for size, features, etc. is the Grizzly G0563 2 HP Oscillating Edge Sander. A reviewer on Amazon notes "the lack of oscillation on the spindle ... Grizzly specifically says on its web site that the spindle oscillates."

This is an important point in that the spindle is much more useful if it oscillates. My question: Does anyone know if the spindle does or does not oscillate on this edge sander?

matt dumney
03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
how about calling the supplier directly. I've looked at that model and have always assumed it moves...

Robert Payne
03-07-2009, 10:33 PM
According the their website description of the sander, the "Sanding Belt Oscillation Stroke" is 3/4". The main and auxiliary tables can be raised or lowered and the main table can be tilted as well.

David Winer
03-07-2009, 10:38 PM
how about calling the supplier directly. I've looked at that model and have always assumed it moves...
I'm imagining a call to Amazon.com: "Hello. I've got a technical question about one of your twenty million products..."

I'm hoping that one of our members knows the answer, but if someone knows whom I can call, I would like the number. About that ambiguity between specs and experience, I'm speculating that there could be a difference in spindle oscillation between older models and newer ones.

glenn bradley
03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
That is really strange, even the manual makes only vague mention of any oscillating feature; they show where to oil the linkage. I would call 1-800-523-4777 or use their contact form - www.grizzly.com (http://www.grizzly.com).

David Winer
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
According the their website description of the sander, the "Sanding Belt Oscillation Stroke" is 3/4". The main and auxiliary tables can be raised or lowered and the main table can be tilted as well.
Right. But this doesn't address the spindle sander at the end of the machine. I looked at an older ShopFox version of this machine and as far as I could tell (substitute sales person not able to answer the question) that machine's spindle doesn't oscillate.

David Winer
03-07-2009, 11:13 PM
If the round spindle is affixed to the drum of the sander's end,it should oscillate. That's how it appears in the picture. You need to call their customer support,and get a machine guy to talk to.
Yes, that seems like a good observation and a good approach to finding out the answer. Following Glen Bradley's suggestion, I have located a technical support number through the Grizzly website:

Technical Support: 1-570-546-9663

Will call there on Monday morning. Thanks, all for the rapid responses. Still like to hear from a user who has the definitive answer to the question.

Chris Rosenberger
03-08-2009, 10:10 AM
The spindle dose not oscillate. I owned the Delta version of the G0564.
The oscillation is achieved by changing the pitch on the motor & drive drum.
That is what the box under the motor is for.

David Winer
03-08-2009, 1:59 PM
The spindle dose not oscillate. I owned the Delta version of the G0564.
The oscillation is achieved by changing the pitch on the motor & drive drum.
That is what the box under the motor is for.
Thanks, Chris, for this information. This seems to settle the question about the spindle sander feature.

It seems that your 3HP Delta, the 3 HP Grizzly, the 2 HP Grizzly, and the 2 HP Shop Fox edge sanders are essentially the same machine in two sizes. I speculate that they are made in the same factory, all have the same type belt oscillating mechanism and none has an oscillating spindle.

Jay Brewer
03-08-2009, 4:38 PM
I have the Grizzly 2 h.p and the spindle does NOT oscillate. The catalog also says " Non oscillating spindle". Its is a great sander, but no replacement for a dedicated spindle sander.

george wilson
03-08-2009, 6:05 PM
It looks like they went to extra trouble to get the spindle to not oscillate. I'd like to see the mechanism.