PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Please Help me!!

Tom Henry
03-07-2009, 8:16 PM
I am going to say I am totally addicted to turning now. I found myself going to PSI during the week to get more pen kits and I bought two cane kits and finished one cane for my bosses birthday...When does this craze stop!!!!:D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2009, 8:17 PM
It doesnt' end....there is no 12 step process......quit your whining and get back to your lathe!:eek::D

Don Carter
03-07-2009, 8:19 PM
Henry:
We tried tell you, a vortex has not bottom. Hello! My name is Don....

All the best.

Don

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2009, 8:28 PM
Tom - welcome to the abyss! You forgot one of the most important rules here - Photos! We all look forward to seeing more of your work!

Dean Thomas
03-07-2009, 8:32 PM
Welcome to our world.

I do have a great way to put your habit to work, though. Read up on what the Freedom Pens Project has done over the last few years.

I think that every pen turner should at least tithe his pen-making time and send a few to the troops. :cool: And if you're talking SlimLines, you can send a dozen pretty inexpensively.

David Christopher
03-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Tom the best thing to do is get a friend into it and watch him get sucked in...then its easier for you

Bill Bolen
03-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow! another one falls deep into the vortex and ...it's still not crowded in here! Who's next?...Bill...

Kirk Miller
03-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I have come up with a new game. Having limited resources for a variety of wood here in Alaska I started to use Ebay. Well I have found a few of the merchants on Ebay that I prefer over others. This is where my addiction starts to show. I made up a new game called "Playing Ebay". While I am viewing the wood of merchants I like to do buisness with I will see some that I think should have a much higher bid on it, so I throw out my Bid, just to see if I can get the price up for the merchants. Well long story short I have started to put a limit on my EBay playing........Only until I can obtain more storage space!! Life is short enjoy it while you can.

Curt Fuller
03-07-2009, 11:38 PM
...When does this craze stop!!!!:D:D:D

I don't think anyone has made it there and been able to tell about it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Tom there is no end.:eek::eek: There is no bottom to the black hole and there is no light at the end of the tunnel.:D:D

Jim Becker
03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
That sucking sound in the background is the VORTEX...it's now all around you and only gets deeper. LOL

Jeff Nicol
03-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Tom, The VORTEX is strong within you go forth and turn! You will find that everywhere you go and everyone you talk to reminds you of something you should be turning on the lathe. Turning becomes who you are and it is a wonderful thing!

No 12 steps needed for this addiction, just more time!!!

Have fun,

Jeff

Paul Douglass
03-08-2009, 6:55 PM
There is HOPE! I climb out of the vortex every once in a while to do some f--twork! Right now I am working on a cigar box guitar. I have to admit I keep thinking, "what could I turn for this?" Hummm.. tuning knobs, things to hook a strap to...

Tom Henry
03-08-2009, 7:27 PM
OK...I turned another cane today. I will post pics in another thread...I am now rubbernecking any down trees and firewood piles...I am looking for my next fix...

George Morris
03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Tom told you so!!!!!! George

Marc Himes
03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I think some English band in the 70's wrote a song about it.
"To everything turn, turn, turn.
there is a season turn, turn, turn ......."

I think those guys must have been wood turners too, so this has been afflicting people for a long time. Maybe you will learn how to balance it with the rest of your life. Maybe you won't. The most important thing to learn is how to keep the Mrs. happy and still get time in the shop.

Good luck.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Marc Himes

Paul Douglass
03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
The great thing about being married 41 years, the mrs. Just as soon i stay in the shop!!

Tony Greenway
03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Another one bites the dust :D:D:D...........Tony