PDA

View Full Version : New Jointer - Tips for the new guy

Brad Wood
03-07-2009, 5:47 PM
Hey,

a week ago or so I told you about a killer deal I got on new Grizzly machines off Craigslist.

I've got the jointer put together and have been doing some test cuts....

Is it normal that I am getting waves and divots? I should clarify that today is the first time in my life to use a jointer... so, I am thinking it is a practice thing?

I've checked the outfeed table height and the height of the knives, everything seems to be dialed in.

I'm also struggling with figuring out what the direction of the grain is.. any tips?

Thanks all

p.s. here is a shot of the new toy... a little sawdust and all (I have a garage setup, so everything is designed to go against the wall when not in use)

Dave Sweeney
03-07-2009, 5:51 PM
You might want to give this article (http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html) read.

Brad Wood
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
You might want to give this article (http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html) read.

very useful, thank you

Pat Germain
03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
"Waves and divets" are probably from moving the stock too fast. At least, that's what I get when I go too fast.

Also, try to remove as little material as possible while you're learning. Slowly ratchet up using some scrap pieces. Eventually, you will learn where to set the jointer so you can work most anything successfully.

Also note that you should remove even less material per pass when face jointing. And, if you can skew the stock at all while face jointing, you'll probably get a better surface.

And make sure the knives are sharp. Since it's a used machine, it may be ripe for a sharpening.

Myk Rian
03-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I usually take less than 1/8" off at a time.
Make sure you are putting the pressure on the outfeed side of the wood as you go.

Brian Kerley
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM
First time I setup my jointer, my waves were due to 3 reasons. One was the knives weren't set really well by me (using a mag base and drop indicator fixed that). A second reason was that there were times that I did not keep the piece moving over the cutterhead (like when re-positioning my hands), and that would cause a divot. The third was if I changed where I applied pressure, I would get a divot. Practice on some scrap and after about 30 minutes of playing around, you'll see how to do what you need.

Neal Clayton
03-08-2009, 1:25 PM
as for the divots...

does it have a spiral head?

if so that's why, the spiral heads on those grizzly jointers have a very small diameter (less than 3 inches) so they tend to leave the divots.

not a big deal since it's assumed that you'll be planing and cutting the other edge on your table saw after. just knock another 16th off of the 'good' edge with the table saw too.

Brad Wood
03-08-2009, 6:19 PM
thanks to everyone for the info.

After I posted this yesterday I went back and started practicing more and seems to get progressively better results.
speed, pressure, etc, all seem to be factors i need to practice and get accustomed to.

Since it's a used machine, it may be ripe for a sharpening.
actually it is brand spakin' new. I took it out of the box myself

does it have a spiral head
I think it is just a standard head with a set of three straight knives... the spiral head, is that like a Byrd helix thingy? Maybe I don't know what a spiral head is???

Tom Hintz
03-10-2009, 6:05 AM
Waves and divots can come from having one knife higher than the others and/or moving the stock across the jointer too fast. the second is much harder to do on a three knife jointer but can be done. (I've done it.....) I would try slowing my feed rate first because that is easiest and if that doesn't cure it, go over the knives to see if one or more is out of alignment.