PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Purex-Laserex fume extractor ?

onur cakir
03-07-2009, 2:00 PM
Hi everyone !

I'm on eve of my second decoration&construction exhibition and my laser is quite busy in these days.

I'm using Purex-Laserex fume extractor, its a great piece of equipment but its first stage filter which looks like standart vacuum cleaner dust filter is getting dirtier day by day.

Any idea for cleaning that filter ? My extractor started to give dirt alerts more often and i have to pause engraving job everytime it alerts.

My cleaning efforts only saves it for 1-2 days....so any ideas for a longer run time for that filter ?

Thank you

Margaret Turco
03-07-2009, 4:12 PM
You might consider getting a pre-filter like the one in this link http://www.vaniman.com/cyclone-pre-filters.php I did a brief google search and found that one and it should get rid of a lot of the debris before going to the extractor.

Steve Clarkson
03-07-2009, 4:36 PM
For a temporary quick fix......pull it out and use a regular vaccuum to clean the filter out......not sure how good it would work, but it's worth a try to get you by in a pinch.

Dan Hintz
03-07-2009, 7:19 PM
Onur,

What you're looking for is an electrostatic filter (the electronic kind, not the kind that are called "electrostatic" but create their charge simply by the air flowing around the filter). I'm actually trying to find one that will plug right in to a standard filter, like what you have now, but so far the best I've found will still require some sheetmetal work to create an appropriate plenum. The air flows past electrically charged wire mesh, and particles within the air stream pick up that charge. The charged particles pass electrically charged plates and stick to them. You clean the plates off from time to time by wiping them down with a sponge. The majority of the crap getting caught in your filters is smoke particles, so one of these units will drastically increase your filter replacement time.

I'll let you know if I find one that is appropriate, though I don't know what it might cost to ship to your country.

onur cakir
03-08-2009, 6:48 AM
Hi Steve, thats one of my method for cleaning it and my primary method is to beat it with a stick in the garden :cool:

Beating it works better tan vaccuum cleaner :D

But it works for 2 days only...it buzzes again after 2 days of work.

What i'm looking for is a efficient way of cleaning method without buying a new accordion filter.

For a temporary quick fix......pull it out and use a regular vaccuum to clean the filter out......not sure how good it would work, but it's worth a try to get you by in a pinch.

onur cakir
03-08-2009, 6:51 AM
Thank you Dan, using a pre-filter infront of extractor is another idea that can work too.

Please let me know when you find something about it.

About shipping to Turkey.....sometimes shipping with UPS or Fedex is expensive than plane ticket to USA :o

Onur,

What you're looking for is an electrostatic filter (the electronic kind, not the kind that are called "electrostatic" but create their charge simply by the air flowing around the filter). I'm actually trying to find one that will plug right in to a standard filter, like what you have now, but so far the best I've found will still require some sheetmetal work to create an appropriate plenum. The air flows past electrically charged wire mesh, and particles within the air stream pick up that charge. The charged particles pass electrically charged plates and stick to them. You clean the plates off from time to time by wiping them down with a sponge. The majority of the crap getting caught in your filters is smoke particles, so one of these units will drastically increase your filter replacement time.

I'll let you know if I find one that is appropriate, though I don't know what it might cost to ship to your country.

onur cakir
03-08-2009, 6:53 AM
Hi Margaret, vaniman page is down i'cant access it. But i ll google for similiar products thanks.

You might consider getting a pre-filter like the one in this link http://www.vaniman.com/cyclone-pre-filters.php I did a brief google search and found that one and it should get rid of a lot of the debris before going to the extractor.

Steve Clarkson
03-08-2009, 7:56 AM
my primary method is to beat it with a stick in the garden :cool:

My kids hate to take baths......maybe I should try your method.......

onur cakir
03-08-2009, 8:14 AM
my kids hate to take baths......maybe i should try your method.......

ahhahahahah....! you got a point !

Dan Hintz
03-08-2009, 9:55 AM
I didn't see Margaret's post... cyclone filters are great for removing large debris (like that 2mm letter 'c' you couldn't find after lasering a piece of acrylic and now your sign says "Wel_ome"), but it will do zero for removing smoke, which is the bane of particle filters. Cyclones are used in woodworking environments where therte is a lot of sawdust to remove, but those particles are immense in size compared to smoke.

Margaret Turco
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi guys, My search was: pre-filter for dust collector. I was thinking that would work because it seems like Onur is doing a lot of laser tile, marble, granite, etc. but I honestly don't know what particle size debris they create. I'm with you Dan if the problem is actually smoke!

Dave Johnson29
03-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Any idea for cleaning that filter ? My extractor started to give dirt alerts more often and i have to pause engraving job everytime it alerts.

Hi Onur,

Love your work.

It sounds like the system you have is under rated for the dirt and dust load in your working environment. Do you have a picture of the thing?

My first thought is to use automotive air filters as pre-filter. Jeeps Cherokees use a rectangular filter and I would make a box that mounts over the inlet to the Purex filter and have maybe 3 filters that slide in slots.

The automotive filters are cheap and plentiful. The Jeep fitlers are 4-bucks a piece here. They would be a whole bunch more expensive where you live, but I am sure a trip to an auto shop to look at filters would turn up some similar rectangular ones you could use.

I use Jeep filters on the CPU-cabinets of my CNC machines here.

Just a thought.

George Brown
03-08-2009, 4:51 PM
Onur,

Try these sites:

http://customer.honeywell.com/honeywell/ProductInfo.aspx/F300E1027

http://store.electronicaircleaners.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7

http://pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=5058&brand=Honeywell&cID=698

http://pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=5054&brand=Honeywell&cID=698

onur cakir
03-09-2009, 5:23 PM
Hi Onur,

Love your work.

It sounds like the system you have is under rated for the dirt and dust load in your working environment. Do you have a picture of the thing?

My first thought is to use automotive air filters as pre-filter. Jeeps Cherokees use a rectangular filter and I would make a box that mounts over the inlet to the Purex filter and have maybe 3 filters that slide in slots.

The automotive filters are cheap and plentiful. The Jeep fitlers are 4-bucks a piece here. They would be a whole bunch more expensive where you live, but I am sure a trip to an auto shop to look at filters would turn up some similar rectangular ones you could use.

I use Jeep filters on the CPU-cabinets of my CNC machines here.

Just a thought.

Hi Dave, thank you

Well...i was on the eve buying a jeep :) I'll check for its filters too.

You mean this model of Jeep or something different than tis ?
http://www.sahibinden.com/fotograflar_herseyi_anlatiyor!!!-45WQQaXQQ11496799WQQpXQQdisplayitem

Attached photos are my system with purex (sorry for the mass)

Dave Johnson29
03-09-2009, 7:33 PM
You mean this model of Jeep or something different than tis ?

Hi Onur,

Love the Grand Cherokee. I have owned a couple of Cherokees in the past. Good cars and very reliable in my experience. The one you show has a V8 engine and I am not sure what filters they have.

I meant this one...
http://www.allpar.com/reviews/photos/im/cherokee.jpg

Here's that actual filter, looks like it fits some Chevies too.

http://tinyurl.com/b8b6sz

Hope that helps.

Dan Hintz
03-09-2009, 8:18 PM
Try these sites:
George,

Thanks for posting those. I'm looking into some of the units now, and much to my surprise it looks like they might be able to handle the job. The flow rates are right and several units even include charcoal post-filters (though I don't know how useful those will be due to their limited size.

I'll let everyone know what I find when my research is complete (at least enough to make a purchasing decision).

Dave Johnson29
03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Attached photos are my system with purex

Hi Onur,

I wanted a pic to see the inlet for the filter, but this is what I had in mind. It is a quick not-to-scale sketch in my CAD. I have shown holes for 2, but I would have 3 or more of the auto filters.

onur cakir
03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Onur,

I wanted a pic to see the inlet for the filter, but this is what I had in mind. It is a quick not-to-scale sketch in my CAD. I have shown holes for 2, but I would have 3 or more of the auto filters.

Hi Dave, thanks, i get the idea.

The thing is i didnt paid for purex. It came out free with my Epilog. I had my Epilog 2nd hand but it was one week old :cool: So i can do some investment to make the system better like a pre-filtration system.

Marijus Petraitis
04-07-2013, 8:48 AM
I didn't see Margaret's post... cyclone filters are great for removing large debris (like that 2mm letter 'c' you couldn't find after lasering a piece of acrylic and now your sign says "Wel_ome"), but it will do zero for removing smoke, which is the bane of particle filters. Cyclones are used in woodworking environments where therte is a lot of sawdust to remove, but those particles are immense in size compared to smoke.

Hello.

Don't you know about Mr. Bill Pentz's cyclone design? His cyclone separates particles down to 0.5 microns in size. I'm going to build one from PETG plastic.

Ernie Balch
04-07-2013, 10:52 AM
I avoid cutting acrylic because of the awful smell and I am interested in solving this problem.

In the semiconductor industry we used "fume scrubbers" these were all based on cleaning the exhaust air with water. This would convert the air pollution to a liquid for further treatment. Since I already have water cooling I might as well build a water based fume scrubber.

I have seen chambers with spray units and plexiglass boxes filled with mesh that water trickled down through.

I wonder if combining an ultrasonic vaporizer with the exhaust letting it mix and running it through a cyclone separator to remove the water would remove the fumes? I have all the components and could run some tests if it seems likely to work.

Dan Hintz
04-07-2013, 1:53 PM
Hello.

Don't you know about Mr. Bill Pentz's cyclone design? His cyclone separates particles down to 0.5 microns in size. I'm going to build one from PETG plastic.

Not with any regularity it doesn't... all you have to do to verify this is look at the filter on the cyclone's output. Eventually, it will be caked, and it's not just sub-0.5 micron particles on there. Cyclonic action will get the majority of stuff, but it's that small amount that manages to get out that you should be concerned with.

Seeing as how this thread is several years old... I'll add that I eventually picked up a Honeywell electrostatic filter. Although I intended it to be used for my laser filter, I ended up passing that option off as too anal and problematic. Instead, it sits there awaiting my upcoming change to the house's HVAC ductwork, at which point it will be added in to the whole-house system.

Marijus Petraitis
04-07-2013, 3:35 PM
Not with any regularity it doesn't... all you have to do to verify this is look at the filter on the cyclone's output. Eventually, it will be caked, and it's not just sub-0.5 micron particles on there. Cyclonic action will get the majority of stuff, but it's that small amount that manages to get out that you should be concerned with.

Seeing as how this thread is several years old... I'll add that I eventually picked up a Honeywell electrostatic filter. Although I intended it to be used for my laser filter, I ended up passing that option off as too anal and problematic. Instead, it sits there awaiting my upcoming change to the house's HVAC ductwork, at which point it will be added in to the whole-house system.

From Bill Pentz webpage http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/cyclone_plan.cfm :

"Innumerable people have built and purchased little 6” diameter cyclones to use with their 2.5” heavy duty shop vacuums. The medical school testing on these smaller units ends up being just as impressive than the separation on the larger units. These small 6” versions provide 99.9% separation efficiency on particles sized under 5-microns versus the closest competitor providing only 99.9% separation on 25-micron and larger particles."

Dan Hintz
04-08-2013, 8:59 AM
Yes.... and 0.1% of billions of particles is still a boatload of particles in the air. Efficiency is not the same as purity. I'm not interested in turning this thread into yet another DC efficiency thread, as there are plenty on this board already. It's not what this thread was started for, and I'm not really sure why you raised this thread from the dead.