PDA

View Full Version : Saw-makers please help

Glen Evans
03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

I'm building a tenon saw, (my first), using 0.020" 1095 spring steel (flat sheet stock--not rolled). Blade is 12" long and 3" high. Back is 1/4" slotted brass.

The saw plate has a slight bow to it that I assumed the saw back would pull straight; however, I've done a trial assembly now and notice that the blade still has a slight bow along the tooth line, (obviously it is straight along the back).

How do you saw-makers deal with this--straighten it by hand?; straighten it by hammer? Or is your blade plate perfectly straight from the get go?

Also, once assembled, do you tension the blade along the tooth edge??

(As an aside--has anyone used wenge for handles?? I can't believe how long it took me to get the grained filled.....)

thanks for you help

Glen

george wilson
03-07-2009, 5:22 PM
I'e already explained this in detail. Clamp the saw upside down by the handle. make a wooden wrench that fits over the saw's back. Carefully twist the saw back as if you were going to make a twist drill out of it (but,just a little bit of twist). Twist in the direction that straightens out the cutting edge. Go along the back and carefully torque it till the cutting edge,which you keep your eye on,is staight.

The amount of back bending is very small,and won't be noticed when you are done. And,the back will still be straight when you sight down it.

Ray Gardiner
03-07-2009, 7:48 PM
Hi Glen,

Congratulations on making your first saw, I should warn you, it gets addictive!

I just finished a 14in tenon saw with 20 thou plate and I'm very happy with it, the thinner plate, really cuts nicely.

As a general rule, if you are making a new saw. I would make sure the saw plate is straight from the start. And the other question, regarding tensioning the tooth line, I have never felt the need to do it with new 1095 plate on a new backsaw. Older handsaw might be a different issue.

How about a few pictures, when you finish.:)

Regards
Ray