PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Brad Point Drill Bits

James White
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Has anyone tried them?
http://www.rockler.com/promotion/DealOfTheDay.cfm

Are they any better than the Woodcraft ones so many have complained about not being strait?

James

Brian Effinger
03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I bought them back in December with some sort of discount, and have been thoroughly happy with the quality. I got these because the cheap set I was using at the time (Harbor Freight?) had a bad bit. The part of the shaft that gets chucked was bent and the bit wobbled fiercely.

glenn bradley
03-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I picked up a 7 piece set on sale and they are better than expected, very usable for most things. Better than my HF set that I use as thrashers but wayyy down the ladder from my Lee Valley lipped bits. Interesting how the three quality levels are directly proportional to their cost. I don't always find this to be true but just realized that in this case, it is.

I am still running a set of Chinese Forstners I got for $10 at Woodcraft years ago. Are they as good as the Freud's? No, but very usable. I would imagine the set you are looking at could do as well. For $20 there's not much to fear, you can always return them.

Vic Damone
03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I purchased a set from Rockler in a black steel case a few years back. Some of the bits are not straight and many of the centers are off center which made them difficult to use in the drill press. Could of simply been a bad batch. I still use them for rough work in hand held drills. I now have a set from Lee Valley which are in a whole other league in both quality and price.

John Callahan
03-07-2009, 5:53 PM
My experience was similar to Vic's ...... many didn't run true, centers off center. Best thing about the set is the index they came in. :D