PDA

View Full Version : Jet Wet Sharpener

Richard Geraci
03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Has anyone had a probem removing the stone from the Jet Wet Sharpner?

I had a problem with the shaft the holds the stone rusting and making it amost impossibe to remove the stone.

When I contacted Jet about the problem and asked why they did not supply a stainless stee shaft with the machine I could not get an answer.

Additionally I received no satisfaction after numerous e mails and phone calls to Jet.

Because of this major flaw in the machine I woud not recomend it. The Tormac would be my choice from now on.

David Christopher
03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Richard, why do you want to remove the stone ?? if it time to replace just whack it with a hammer til it breaks in half

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I've got a Tormek. It has some rusting on the shaft where the wheel is. I just clean it off and protect it with some Amsoil MP and keep going. Had it for about 6 years now. Love the machine and the MP.

Dave Bureau
03-07-2009, 11:46 AM
tormek has a stainless shaft now.

David Walser
03-07-2009, 1:05 PM
I've got a Tormek. It has some rusting on the shaft where the wheel is. I just clean it off and protect it with some Amsoil MP and keep going. Had it for about 6 years now. Love the machine and the MP.Just FYI: Older versions of the Tormek had this problem. Newer versions have stainless steel shafts. I believe that's been true for a couple of years now, at least.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2009, 3:17 PM
I think David is right. I have had mine about a year now with no signs of rust and use it quite often.

Richard Geraci
03-07-2009, 3:38 PM
There was a great deal of rust on the jam nuts both front nd back of the stone. I was afraid the bearings might be getting rusted as well so I removed the stone to clean and grease the nuts and washers and inspect the bearings.

Alan Trout
03-07-2009, 6:28 PM
I have had my Jet for a couple of years. I have not had problems. Yet I clean my frequently and use a little oil on the washers and a little grease on the threads. Mine has been a wonderful machine with no troubles.

Good Luck

Alan