PDA

View Full Version : Help! Jointer Spitting Up

Dwight Boesiger
03-07-2009, 9:54 AM
Looking for ideas to help solve a chip plugging problem with my Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer. It plugs somewhere right under the cutterhead and spits chips back across the infeed table, out the side of the cutterhead and generally everywhere but down the chip chute. After cleaning it out several times I cobbled up a door at the end of the chip chute to attach the hose of a 4" dust collector. Despite the vacuum it manages to repeat the problem. I have had this unit for several years with an occasional plugging problem but recently it's gotten worse. The only change I can think of is that I rolled it on its mobile base out from its spot and later returned it to its original resting place.
Suggestions would be welcomed.

Dwight Boesiger

Myk Rian
03-07-2009, 10:52 AM
The only times mine has done that is when there wasn't enough airflow from the DC. Have you reached into the top to clear out any obstruction?
Of course, unplug it.

David DeCristoforo
03-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I use compressed air to clean mine out. I have to stick the nozzle right between the cutter head and the outfeed casting. Much of the clog can be cleared from underneath via the dust chute but not all. If you don't get it all cleared out, it it will clog up again really quickly. I installed a cover on my chip chute with a 4" hose but I still have to make sure that all the other gates are closed or it can clog especially if I am taking heavy cuts.

PS If you "reach into the top", be sure to unplug the machine!!!!!!

glenn bradley
03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Is the top of your chute open? That is, is it more of a trough than an enclosed pathway? My Griz is a DJ-20 clone and comes stock with a trough. This has caused grief in the dust collection department for more than a few owners. Fortunately these fine folks came up with a fix that is so often recommended, I did it before I even mounted the motor in my frame. There are various ways to accomplish the goal. Here's mine (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=88751&d=1211053894). There are links to another fix in this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84153&highlight=G0490X)thread, IIRC.

Chip Lindley
03-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Use a light and visually INSPECT up the chip chute. SEE what the problem is! Evidently something NEW is causing a constriction! You may have a sliver of solid wood lodged somewhere inside that helps clog the chip chute. Some varmit may have built a nest in the chip chute! Sticky resin may cause chips to cling around the head and clog. Try blowing compressed air downward around the cutter head can't hurt. A really thorough cleaning should help!

David DeCristoforo
03-07-2009, 11:55 AM
"...something NEW is causing a constriction!"

Logic! Spock strikes again!

Ron Knapp
03-07-2009, 12:16 PM
One thing you might try:

The DJ20 is an 8 inch jointer and if you are jointing an 8 inch or so board you have to run the fence all the way out. If you are edge jointing or jointing a board somewhat less then 8 inches try moving the fence inward. It helped me when I experienced this problem.

Dwight Boesiger
03-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Ron
Thanks as a matter of fact I have moved the fence out to get the entire width for resurfacing some QS Oak before going to the planer. I'll move it back in for edge joining and see if it make a difference.
Thanks for others suggestions for cleaning. Yes I have been down on my ancient knees with a flashlight and gotten dust in my eyes probing every visible corner with dowels , wires, sticks, vacuum hoses and whatever else I could think of. I dont have ready access to compressed air Dave but I may wheel in my compressor to see if that helps.
I fear the next step is dissassembly. I'll be looking for some young whippersnapper to help me out.
Dwight Boesiger

Paul Murphy
03-07-2009, 3:20 PM
I don't have your same jointer, but mine will do the same if I don't keep the "slide" clean and waxed all the way down to the dust pickup.

CPeter James
03-07-2009, 3:30 PM
I did not start this thread, but I could have. Mine is doing this now. Compressed air is my answer. I will try waxing the chute, too.

CPeter

Don Bull
09-24-2022, 10:51 AM
Looking for ideas to help solve a chip plugging problem with my Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer. It plugs somewhere right under the cutterhead and spits chips back across the infeed table, out the side of the cutterhead and generally everywhere but down the chip chute. After cleaning it out several times I cobbled up a door at the end of the chip chute to attach the hose of a 4" dust collector. Despite the vacuum it manages to repeat the problem. I have had this unit for several years with an occasional plugging problem but recently it's gotten worse. The only change I can think of is that I rolled it on its mobile base out from its spot and later returned it to its original resting place.
Suggestions would be welcomed.

Dwight Boesiger

I recently bought the same jointer. I have it connected to a jet cyclone dust collector with a short (6 ft.) duct. When I would first start the machine, before jointing any wood, (first hint) it would blow chips out all around the cutterhead. When jointing wider stock, there would be a "snowstorm" of wood chips blowing out around the cutterhead. It was so bad, it was almost comical. I have seen a number of posts on several forums about poor dust collection on this machine, but I have never seen what I found on mine described in any of them.

I removed the cutterhead to upgrade to a Lux spital cutter. The entire area around the cutterhead was packed with wood chips. When I vacuumed them out, I found a screen with just a small gap to the dust chute on the infeed side. (see photo) This screen blocks about 75% of the opening. It appears that it may be intended to direct the chips, but instead it retains them. I have studied the parts drawings I can find, and do not find this screen on any of them.

I am going through the entire machine, and have not completed my rebuild yet, but I plan to remove the jointer from the base and remove this screen and am very confident this will improve the dust collection. I will update when I have it back together and running again. Sorry for the quality of the picture, but I did not have enough light. It was taken looking down between the infeed and outfeed tables through the opening where the cutterhead would normally be installed.