PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 8" Jointer (G0656) Power Cord

Chris Leacock
03-07-2009, 8:31 AM
Mornin'!

I'm getting ready to hook up my new jointer and I have a question about making the power cord for it.

First, a little background. My shop is temporarily in my garage and in order to provide power to my tablesaw I took an unused dryer circuit (10/3 - 30amp), replaced the receptacle with an L6-30 locking receptacle, and moved it to the garage side of the wall. I then made the power cord out of rubber coated 10/3 wire and an L6-30 locking plug.

So that's the current power configuration in the garage. My question is, can I use 10/3 wire and L6-30 locking plug for the Grizzly jointer too? The manual recommends 12 gauge for the cord but the switch has 14 gauge coming out of the back.

I'm just a bit confused about what my options are considering that length of 14 gauge and the L6-30 receptacle.

Anybody have any advice for a newbie?

David Christopher
03-07-2009, 8:37 AM
Chris, you can use receptical that you allready have..

Todd Solomon
03-07-2009, 11:00 AM
And the 10/3 wire will be fine. 10 gage is larger diameter than 12, 12 is larger than 14, Etc. As long as you use a wire gage that is equal to or larger diameter than what your machine requires, you're fine. You can't go the other way, so don't use 14 gage if the jointer requires at least 12 gage. 14 gage wire would be undersized, and could overheat or more likely have too high of resistence.

Rod Sheridan
03-07-2009, 3:45 PM
One item nobody has mentioned is that if the manufacturer or regulatory agency has stated that overcurrent protection cannot be greater than XX amperes, then you cannot plug it into a circuit that has greater capacity than that stated.

My planer/jointer for example is marked for 20 amperes maximum.

Regards, Rod.