PDA

View Full Version : Jiggsaw Puzzle DXF.

kevin leasure
03-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Howdy folks, new guy here, i would like to know if anyone would happen to have a nice puzzle layout in a DXF file, I DO NOT have coreldraw, unfortunately, and need to get it, so for now i am stuck with my autocadd 2002 and my Engravelab. i appreciate any help i can get. thanks guys.

Kevin

Duane Parcells
03-07-2009, 8:23 AM
Kevin

Do you have a size and / or number of pieces in mind. Here is a 4" by 6" saved in Autocad 2002 dxf format. This is exported out of CorelDraw 13. Had to zip the file due to size.
Duane

John Noell
03-07-2009, 2:11 PM
Here's one with a few more pieces.

kevin leasure
03-08-2009, 9:25 PM
these worked great guys, any chance there is one floating around with a few mor pieces, i have been put to a challenge from a customer and am not letting this one win. any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Dave Johnson29
03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
any chance there is one floating around with a few mor pieces Hi Kevin, For 40-bucks you can create your own... http://www.oberonplace.com/products/jigsaw/index.htm These may have a free trial period where you can create some. I have not tried the stuff on that website, but it looks interesting.

John Noell
03-09-2009, 3:39 PM
How many more pieces do you want?

kevin leasure
03-09-2009, 8:50 PM
i am looking to something around a 10x10 with like 150 pieces. anything close would be great. thanks alot guys, you are life savers

Kevin Groenke
09-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Me too!

Does anybody have any larger (500-1500pcs) .dxf or .dwg puzzle templates or, better yet, a tool to make the template/hatch pattern?

We're in an architecture model shop, so CorelDraw isn't in the house, Illustrator is available.

Puzzles will be plotted images up to 18"x32" (ULS X660) spray glued or adhesive filmed to .10" chipboard or 1/8"bb.

Thanks if you can help!

-kg

Dan Hintz
09-24-2009, 6:37 AM
There are a couple of commercial puzzle generators out there, under $50 if memory serves, can't think of any names off the top of my head. I know one is listed under the Corel plug-ins section on Corel's site, though I don't know if Illustrator can use Corel plug-ins.

Dee Gallo
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
If anyone is interested, I made this tessellation just for fun. Every piece is identical and they interlock. On the jpeg, you can see some ideas for making the pieces into individual objects.

It's just something different in the puzzle world...certainly not very difficult.

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
09-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Try this site to experiment with your own tessellations:
[/URL][URL="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/Tessellate/"]www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/Tessellate/ (http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/)

M.C. Escher made some really great tessellations in some of his artwork... (big Escher fan here)

Ryan Pridgeon
09-24-2009, 2:25 PM
Dee,
Could you post the cdr in v12?

Thanks

If anyone is interested, I made this tessellation just for fun. Every piece is identical and they interlock. On the jpeg, you can see some ideas for making the pieces into individual objects.

It's just something different in the puzzle world...certainly not very difficult.

cheers, dee

Mark Ross
09-24-2009, 3:17 PM
Two .zip files, all files are in .cdr X3 format. 500 piece 20X25 , 1024 piece 32 by 32 and 2500 piece files with different patterns.

Dee Gallo
09-24-2009, 3:42 PM
Dee,
Could you post the cdr in v12?

Thanks

I knew the minute I posted that I forgot to save it in v 10 for everyone... sorry! Here it is, have fun with it.

:) dee

Kevin Groenke
09-24-2009, 9:49 PM
Thanks A TON for all the files, got something to go on now.

I don't have CorelDraw or Illustrator at home but I found an open source vector drawing app that imports and exports cdr, dxf, eps, svg, pdf, odg and a bunch of other formats.

Inkscape - so far so good.

Referring page:
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Open-Cdr--Cmx--Ai-files-without-buying-Illustrator-or-Corel-Draw

here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/files/

in file
0.47pre1

Inkscape-0.47pre1-1.win32.exe

-kg

Dan Hintz
09-25-2009, 6:42 AM
Thanks A TON for all the files, got something to go on now.

I don't have CorelDraw or Illustrator at home but I found an open source vector drawing app that imports and exports cdr, dxf, eps, svg, pdf, odg and a bunch of other formats.

Inkscape - so far so good.

Kevin, have you actually tried to import/export a CDR file using the latest beta, or are you going by what other websites say?

Up to the latest version (0.46, they still haven't kicked out 0.47 as of this writing), Inkscape has no native support for importing/exporting CDR files. You could do it (with a ton of hassle) by installing Uniconvertor, but the most recent versions of Inkscape have made even that process trial and error. I'm waiting for version 0.47 to be finalized before downloading it, but I hope they've made the process seamless. It was on their 0.47 roadmap for a while, but then it mysteriously disappeared from the listing.

EDIT: I see the site you linked to says the functionality has been added to the latest beta... that's great news. I can now tell customers where to get a freebie solution to create "industry standard" files.

Dee Gallo
09-25-2009, 8:42 AM
I'm posting the tessellation as DXF, just to see how it goes....

whoops, it was too large ...

Okay, now it's zipped. I hope it works for someone!

:) dee

Kevin Groenke
09-25-2009, 6:03 PM
Kevin, have you actually tried to import/export a CDR file using the latest beta, or are you going by what other websites say?

Up to the latest version (0.46, they still haven't kicked out 0.47 as of this writing), Inkscape has no native support for importing/exporting CDR files. You could do it (with a ton of hassle) by installing Uniconvertor, but the most recent versions of Inkscape have made even that process trial and error. I'm waiting for version 0.47 to be finalized before downloading it, but I hope they've made the process seamless. It was on their 0.47 roadmap for a while, but then it mysteriously disappeared from the listing.

EDIT: I see the site you linked to says the functionality has been added to the latest beta... that's great news. I can now tell customers where to get a freebie solution to create "industry standard" files.

Hey Dan,

I downloaded and installed Inkscape .47.1.1 from the site listed.

.47 is still beta, so it is not the "stable" .46 version promoted on the inkscape site.

I haven't had much time to play with it, but it was able to import all of the .cdr files attached to a number of puzzle threads.

It successfully "saved as" .dxf and .eps files all of which open with acad_09 and ai_cs4 without issue. There are numerous other save as options including .pdf.

A new window (python) comes up when you do a "save as" and it is a bit quirky, but who cares about quirks if it works and it's free.

-kg

Dan Hintz
09-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I've been using Inkscape for quite some time now, and until I broke down and picked up X4 to support CDR files without UniConvertor hacks, it was (well, still is) one of my favorite programs... Paint.NET is high up on the list, too. Nice to see native support for CDRs.