PDA

View Full Version : Double sided signs

bob pfohler
03-06-2009, 9:32 PM
I have a customer that wants 100 small signs engraved on both sides. They need to be able to withstand warm water and soap.
I wanted to use anodized aluminum but I haven't seen in sold in sheet stock colored both sides.
I have no experience with brass plated steel and the 3 ply Rowmark is not laser engravable. Ant suggestions?

Joe Pelonio
03-06-2009, 9:54 PM
You can custom order aluminum cut to your specs and anodized both sides, sorry I don't have a source handy, but there should be a place or few in most major cities. Last ones I got were from a place in Portland, OR.

James Rambo
03-06-2009, 10:50 PM
100 small signs. You could order the sheet goods to fill this oder with half the order to have adhesive on the back and put them back to back. I have done this for signs mounted and projecting from the wall to be seen from both ends of a hallway.

Mike Null
03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
All the anodized I've bought from Johnson's Plastics is anodized both sides.

You can use standard laminated engraving stock and weldon #3 or #4 and bond them together. It's easy and works well.

bob pfohler
03-06-2009, 11:32 PM
All the anodized I've bought from Johnson's Plastics is anodized both sides.

You can use standard laminated engraving stock and weldon #3 or #4 and bond them together. It's easy and works well.

I bought 5 sheets from JDS and only color on one side?

Rodne Gold
03-07-2009, 1:55 AM
Why not just use 3mm 1/8th coloured perspex and engrave both sides and colour fill - cheap and will withstand the warm water etc

Keith Outten
03-07-2009, 6:53 AM
I agree with Rodney, perspex/acrylic would be the least expensive and would hold up to the warm water. Another option is to order solid surface plaques, engrave and paint fill, these would be more durable.

bob pfohler
03-07-2009, 7:43 AM
Paint fill would add another step. I thought AA aluminum engraved and would be quick to engrave.

Dan Hintz
03-07-2009, 9:27 AM
Have you tried Chewbarka? I know they do custom stuff, and anodized is their bread and butter.

bob pfohler
03-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Have you tried Chewbarka? I know they do custom stuff, and anodized is their bread and butter.
I just dropped them an email but being Saturday I don't expect an answer until Monday.

Jack Harper
03-07-2009, 10:08 AM
If your order is large enough, just go to your local aluminum supplier and get a 4'x8' sheet of .050 5052 aluminum for under $100. Then go to your local sheet metal or HVAC shop and ask them to chop it up on their metal shear. From here you take the pieces to your local anodizing shop and have them anodize to your color of choice. I pay about $60 to have a 4'x8' sheet worth of pieces done. For around $200 you could have a full sheet processed.

AL Ursich
03-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I would think this would be a good job for a sublimated sign, both sides.

Depending on the customer needs.

AL

bruce cain
03-07-2009, 1:07 PM
What color combo and how would the signs be mounted?

Mike DeRegnaucourt
03-07-2009, 9:46 PM

Just as an FYI...

Awhile back I had asked Frank at Chewbarka about some custom shapes cutout and anodized aluminum. He said he could cut the custom shapes for me if I were going to order a very large quantity which was much more than I needed. In Frank's defense, it would require him to create a new die so the shapes could be stamped out of sheet stock. The cost to make the new die was the cost prohibitive part of the process. In order for it to be worth his cost, he needed to be able to stamp a large number of them so that he could recover the cost of making a new die and still turn a profit.