PDA

View Full Version : Is the chat room working?

Jerry P. Doan
03-17-2003, 3:31 PM
I am currently unable to access the chat room, after previously having been able to do so. Is anyone else able to currently access the chat room? I'm running Win XP with the latest Java plug-in for IE.

Tom Sweeney
03-17-2003, 3:41 PM
& had no problem. I'm at work so I'm running a cardboard box with 2 little hampsters running around a wheel to power the processor ;) Ok really it's Win 95

Lee Schierer
03-17-2003, 3:58 PM
I was just there, no one was around except for me. I shouted and just got echos.

It workded on the weekend just fine. Chatted with a few folks.

I only have one hampster running my computer at work and he's overweight.

Ken Salisbury
03-17-2003, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by Jerry P. Doan
I am currently unable to access the chat room, after previously having been able to do so. Is anyone else able to currently access the chat room? I'm running Win XP with the latest Java plug-in for IE.

Jerry,
Clear your computer cache and try again. Chat Room has been working --- I use it everyday.

Jerry P. Doan
03-17-2003, 5:18 PM
Ken, I cleared my cache as you suggested and rebooted, but I'm still getting the following message:

"Sorry, you do not seem to have Java 1.1 compatible browser. "

What is strange is that I had no problem accessing the chat room last week. Also, according to the Sun website they no longer are supporting Java 1.1. Any more suggestions? I appreciate all of them.

Ken Salisbury
03-17-2003, 5:41 PM
Jerry -- I asked Aaron to look atyour post to see if he can help you

Phil Phelps
03-17-2003, 5:49 PM
Jerry, I have to clear my cache evertime I log on to the chat room. I'ts a pain.:(

Jerry P. Doan
03-18-2003, 12:48 AM
OK, I solved my problem with the Chat Room. Here's how:

1. Removed Java Runtime 1.4.1_02
2. Downloaded (from a third party website) and installed MS Virtual Machine, then ran Win Updates to install security fixes to MS VM.

I noticed that Java Webstart is integral with the Java Runtime 1.4.1_02 and no separate icon was installed on my desktop. I remember the last time that I was able to access the chat room, the Java runtime program and the Java Webstart were installed as separate programs, and Webstart had a separate icon on my desktop; therefore I was mistaken about previously accessing the chat room with version 1.4.1_02. It must have been an earlier version which I can no longer find on java.sun.com.

I'm posting this in case someone else may benefit from it.