PDA

View Full Version : To DNA or not to DNA

David Pearson
03-06-2009, 8:59 PM
I just finished roughing two maple burl bowls and they were really wet. I have a wet arm and I now have a clean line on the floor, the wall and the ceiling where the water was spraying. One of the bowls is a natural edge. Is it okay to soak them in DNA?:confused: I have never soaked a natural edge piece, or a burl for that matter.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I have soaked NE's in DNA without any problem. There are no guarantees. That wet if it were me I would leave them in maybe 4 days or so. I just took some cherry bowls out including a NE that I have soaked for 5 days. They were like yours just slung water all over. Had to clean my faceshield several times.

David Pearson
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Bernie. I'm going to throw them in the bucket.

I tried to search the forum for the words "burl" and "dna", but the only results I could get were for either words, not the two words together in a thread. Does anyone know if there is a way to search for two words in a thread??

Gary Chester
03-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Well I don't have a clue... but I use DNA for about half my turnings... for no particular reason. Some get wet, some don't...

But I do have a couple of NE maple "leprecon cups" that have been soaking for almost a week that I plan on taking "out of solution" this weekend.

I plan on having some coffee ready for their sobering...:D

Jeff Nicol
03-07-2009, 5:58 AM
Dave, I never use it and most likely never will. I am not sure I need a bucket of highly flamable stuff sitting here or there and the cost for me does not make sense. I use anchor seal and time or just leave them the way they are and put some on the shelf to dry. Since I have so many roughed out bowls and other items waiting to be finished I just finish the ones that are ready and then add more to the pile later. If I was in a big hurry for a certain blank to get dry I would make little kiln and speed up the process. Just not sure if it makes that much diference for me.

Good luck and it works but not my cup of tea,

Jeff