PDA

View Full Version : MM-16 dust collection

Ken Garlock
07-16-2004, 5:27 PM
Perhaps most of you Mini Max band saw owners have already figured this out, but I will pass it along just in case someone is still scratching their head.

As you know, the dust collector outlet is a metric size which is close to 4". A 4" connector you can buy at WoodCraft or the like will match up to the MM outlet, but not slip into it.

Mike at Mini Max suggested a Fenco coupling available in the plumbing dept at the orange borg. So today I stopped by and nosed around and found a slick solution. What I bought was a 4"X4" DWV rubber and stainless steel coupling. It has a screw-down hose-like clamp at each end, one to tighten around the metric size from MM, and the other to tighten around the 4" dust collector adapter. Works great, completely seals the joint between the two components. When you start, you will think that this will never tighten down because the soft rubber liner is way too big even though is it a 4" size. Well, it tightens down and it works. Elegant solution, I cant say, but the main thing is it is miles better than the duct tape I had on shoot previously.

Cecil Arnold
07-16-2004, 5:42 PM
Ken, good solution, however you can address teh problem much cheaper--with a pot of very hot water. Put the black plastic reinforced DC hose in for a few seconds and slip it on. Once streched it seems to maintain its size and you can add a hose clamp if you feel it's necessary.

Steven Wilson
07-16-2004, 6:02 PM
I found that 4" flex hose fits right over the DC port on my MM20. Now I use a custom Nordfab machine fitting, rivets, and mastic - no leaks, works great.

Jim Becker
07-16-2004, 6:40 PM
My 4" hose from Oneida fits right onto the stock 100mm MM DC connector and is nice and tight.

Mike Mastin
07-16-2004, 7:18 PM
Ken,

I had not problem getting 4" flex over the DC port of our MM24. It slips right on without a problem.

Ken Garlock
07-16-2004, 8:08 PM
OK, Gents. When I get my Cyclone wired up and running, I will probably use your solution. :) However, in the interim I am using my shop vac with the 2" hose and an adapter. I guess I should have mentioned that above. :o