PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Cyclone (HELP)

Todd Bin
03-06-2009, 5:59 PM
Hello my fellow creekers. I have a problem with my cylcone. It won't suck. It does turn on and sounds like it is running. Let's get that out of the way. I first thought the bucket was full. Disconnected it and there was very little in it. Hmmmm. So I stuck my hand up in the cone and there was a little clog. I cleared it out. It was not enought to fill the bukcet below so I am pretty sure it did not fill up to the impellers. vaccuumed all of that up and reconnected it. Still no suction. Ok , So I disconnedted the duct at the input to see if maybe some issue with the duct. No suction (very little) at the input. Stuck my arm around the elbow and there was some chip build up but not a clog.

Now I don't know what else this could be and I am certain one of the folks here has had this problem.

It is a penn state industries Tempest if that helps.

Thank you for the help.

Todd

Tom Veatch
03-06-2009, 6:39 PM
Motor spinning the wrong direction? Impeller loose on the shaft? Does it continue to spin for an appreciable time, 30 sec or more, after you turn it off?

If you can see the impeller from the housing outlet, turn it on, turn it off, and while it's coasting to a stop, look in the housing outlet and verify that the impeller blade tips are moving toward the outlet.

Shine a light up into the cone outlet and verify that you can see all the way up to the impeller (assuming the impeller is mounted on top of the cyclone body) and nothing is blocking the flow path like a wad of packing or something jammed in the central tube.

Run a flexible rod into the cyclone inlet and verify that there's no blockage in the inlet, ramp, or jammed into the area around the central tube and the cyclone body.

Jason Beam
03-06-2009, 7:05 PM
Check your filters. If they're not letting air flow, you'll get nada.

Travis Porter
03-06-2009, 9:38 PM
I would speculate you didn't get all of the clog out. Somewhere in the path to the filters I bet it is still clogged.

DAMHIKT

Art Mulder
03-07-2009, 8:16 AM
I would speculate you didn't get all of the clog out. Somewhere in the path to the filters I bet it is still clogged.

DAMHIKT

Todd, you don't say, but can we assume, based on some hints in your post, that it used to suck just fine? My inclination is to agree with Travis. Sounds like there is still some sort of a blockage somewhere. You need one of those camera snakes... :rolleyes:

Todd Bin
03-07-2009, 7:44 PM
I went out this morning and checked the filter. Full of chips all the way to the top of the tower. Vacuumed it out and used the compressor to blow out the filter. Now the dust collector works fine.

Thanks for the help.

Todd

Pete Shermet
03-07-2009, 9:44 PM
Remember one simple rule " If it can't blow it won't suck!
Regards
Pete

Rick Thom
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I went out this morning and checked the filter. Full of chips all the way to the top of the tower. Vacuumed it out and used the compressor to blow out the filter. Now the dust collector works fine.

Thanks for the help.

Todd
...and a likely cause is someone let the chip bucket get too full.

Jim Becker
03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
...and a likely cause is someone let the chip bucket get too full.

Or a leak (even a small one) in the connection between the cone and the bin...or the bin, itself. The fact that there's nothing in the bin suggests this as a good possibility.
-----

But all the time's I've "impacted" the filter, it's for the reason you state...overfilling the bin.