PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander ID

Bob Vavricka
03-06-2009, 5:29 PM
This drum sander is for sale and the owner says it is 18" wide and does not have a model # on it. I haven't seen the sander in person, but wondered if anyone can identify it from the picture and if they own/know about this sander what their opinion is of it. He is asking $750 and says it is in average to good condition and that it "works good." I thought I would ask here before deciding whether to drive 90 miles to look at it.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Bob V.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2009, 5:55 PM
I don't know but I'd ask him to give you a demo if you go up there. My BIL got an older grizzly and it tears up belts almost instantly. We know it some adjustment but wat sdjustment we don't know. I wouldn't take the chance for that kind of money.

Jason Beam
03-06-2009, 5:58 PM
Looks like these:

http://www.supermaxtools.com/

I believe the story is supermax was about the only game in town for awhile. WMH acquired them and renamed them to Performax. Then some where along the line SuperMax was reformed and started putting out larger drum sanders (than those of performax, i believe). That's my understanding of things, I'm not sure it's 100% accurate, though.

Bob Vavricka
03-06-2009, 6:12 PM
Jason,
I looked at that website, but didn't see any that were 18" or that had the top down to compare with the picture. I assume it must be an older model and suspect it is overpriced, but I just couldn't find much to compare it with from an internet search.
Thanks for the info.
Bob V.

Bob Vavricka
03-06-2009, 6:12 PM
Bill,
That is some excellent advice.
Thanks,
Bob V.

Bruce Page
03-06-2009, 6:15 PM
It looks like a good sized sander at a decent price. I think it's worth a test drive.