PDA

View Full Version : I am cursed - MM has shipping damage

dan lemkin
03-06-2009, 4:37 PM
I got a call from the shipping depot... the driver who was supposed to deliver my new MM FS35 today called them to find out if I have any heavy duty crane equipment.... as the 955 lb crate has crushed the pallet and he can not lift it with a pallet jack. They are bringing it back to the local depot to reload it.

I called MM and expressed hesitation about taking it at all. He strongly suggested that I agree to receive it and open it while the driver is there on monday...

I am truly cursed... or all the shipping people in Baltimore are complete idiots! (different carrier - R+L) This makes 3 machines I have received in the last 3 months that have had evidence of shipping damage.

I need a beer.

Paul Ryan
03-06-2009, 4:40 PM
You are one of the most unlucky people I know. Have a beer for me too. I just ordered a sawstop today, will be shipped directly to my home. I hope I don't have those issues.

dan lemkin
03-06-2009, 4:53 PM
The sawstop contractor at least comes packed in a cardboard box with form fitted Styrofoam. It would have to be really beaten up, to be damaged...

A few things I learned after just setting up my saw...

1) they discourage the use of thin curf blades... stating that the inertial forces incurred during an actuation can fold the thinner blades like paper

2) The cast iron wings I had really bowed up on the outer edges... like .016 with feeler gauge. It is normal and not a big deal. Once you get the fence installed, you apply just a bit of pressure and they flatten right out.

Really nice toy.... Only problem I have had with it so far is that I was provided the wrong fence rails from store, and had to return and exchange...

I measured runout the following way. Took an incra miter slot bar and screwed to a piece of birch plywood. Cut it off so it was flush with the blade. Screwed a block to that and then screwed my starret dial indicator to the block. Measured same tooth at front and back of blade. It was only out .003" which is within their spec of .010...

Spinning the forrest wwII - it was out .004"

Crossing fingers about the MM.... really not interested in another two month ordeal...

Paul Ryan
03-06-2009, 5:27 PM
Actually I ordered the New Professional Cabinet saw. I just hope this new saw has the same fit and finsh that the industrial saw and contractor saw have had. The dust collection is suposed to be better than ever. We will see. I was just about to start building a couple of beds. I have been putting of the beds because it was so stinkin cold this winter. So I will have to wait until the new saw comes end of march sometime.

Bruce Page
03-06-2009, 6:23 PM
I got a call from the shipping depot... the driver who was supposed to deliver my new MM FS35 today called them to find out if I have any heavy duty crane equipment.... as the 955 lb crate has crushed the pallet and he can not lift it with a pallet jack. They are bringing it back to the local depot to reload it.

I called MM and expressed hesitation about taking it at all. He strongly suggested that I agree to receive it and open it while the driver is there on monday...

I am truly cursed... or all the shipping people in Baltimore are complete @(#*$) idiots! (different carrier - R+L) This makes 3 machines I have received in the last 3 months that have had evidence of shipping damage.

I need a beer.

If it weren't so darn sad it would almost be funny.
Hang tough and have a beer for me too!

Dave Stuve
03-06-2009, 6:41 PM
You've certainly had a run of bad luck, but a crushed pallet doesn't mean that the crate itself is damaged. They make pallets out of trash wood, and they do fail now and then. Hope for the best!

Dave

Jerry White
03-06-2009, 6:47 PM
Hang in there, Dan. A better day is coming!

glenn bradley
03-06-2009, 6:52 PM
What did you do in your past life? Change your ways before its too late!!! Soon manufacturers may stop selling to you ;-))

Phil Thien
03-06-2009, 8:29 PM
I feel your pain, and hope it all works out.

Chris Ricker
03-06-2009, 9:01 PM
I was biting my lip reading you last few posts, Dan. I am a Griz fan and hated to read about your mishap's. However due to your recent adventure, I have to agree...

you ARE the most unluckiest person I know!:o

I really hope this works out for you!!

Have a beer for me too.

keith ouellette
03-06-2009, 9:04 PM
Your not alone. I have had more problems buying equipment. My latest is just having been sent an obviously used dust collector that was supposed to be new.

I had a guy come a day early and drop my jointer on the ground and then had my wife sign for it without noting the crate was smashed.

The jointer before that had warped tables and had to be sent back.

I went to wood craft to by my table saw and a mobile base. They gave me free delivery. That was 2 years ago and I'm still waiting for my mobile base.

I wish it ended there. I'd tell you more but I'm just getting to mad.
Your not cursed. You don't know what cursed is yet.

sorry for your troubles though. I know it sucks.

Frederick Rowe
03-06-2009, 9:12 PM
Dan - I have to confess, I look for your threads like my neighbor watches 24. Someone else said it, but a broken pallet may not mean any damage. Keep the updates coming. Post photos. I'm not ready yet, but may be sooner than I thought - to try a combo J/P.

Bob Luciano
03-06-2009, 10:07 PM
If I were you I wouldn't worry about it. The pallet failed from what you said the crate is probably fine and the product packaged even more insulated inside.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-07-2009, 1:43 AM
Dan, you maybe ought to just go pick up any further purchases at the warehouse;)

R&L delivered my Felder combo part of the way, and it arrived in great shape, hope they get you a unbroken machine too.

Brian Frances
03-07-2009, 4:50 AM
I would suggest you take plenty of pictures... From start to finish of the delivery process.:D

Greg Crawford
03-07-2009, 7:05 AM
Dan,

You're actually in an elite club. There is only a handful of us that always get the one bad apple out of the bunch. I even got a Byrd Shelix head with one insert broken, some of the black oxide rubbed off in two spots (can't figure that one out), insert screws that seemed to have been installed with an impact wrench, very difficult to get out, brown goo in places that left stains on the carbide and the seats for the inserts didn't appear to have had a final machining. Some inserts were visibly set differently than most of the others. Grizzly excahnged it, and the new one looks like it was made in a different factory. I don't know what would have happened if that old one had been put to use!

I've gotten a Shop Fox DC that had to have the motor/impeller assembly replaced twice to finally get the vibration under control, 18" Rikon BS that needed about 4 hours of work to get the bottom wheel set so the 2 wheels were co-planer, a new jointer with several issues, etc. I'm even on my second carpet install, and the color still doesn't match at the seams (off the same roll both times).

These are just a few recent examples. Even my doctor said I was born under a dark cloud (5 back surgeries). How many people can claim they have a 75% chance of getting a lemon, no matter what the product? Those poor folks that will never experience the character building challenges that we get to tackle daily!

Oh, did I tell you about my GMC truck and the brake problems, AC tensioner that goes out at least once a year........

Chuck Wintle
03-07-2009, 9:07 AM
Dan,

You're actually in an elite club. There is only a handful of us that always get the one bad apple out of the bunch. I even got a Byrd Shelix head with one insert broken, some of the black oxide rubbed off in two spots (can't figure that one out), insert screws that seemed to have been installed with an impact wrench, very difficult to get out, brown goo in places that left stains on the carbide and the seats for the inserts didn't appear to have had a final machining. Some inserts were visibly set differently than most of the others. Grizzly excahnged it, and the new one looks like it was made in a different factory. I don't know what would have happened if that old one had been put to use!

You likely got a returned part that got mixed in with the new stock. I have been the victim of that scam many times.

Don Bullock
03-07-2009, 9:55 AM
Wow Dan, what a bummer. Hopefully the only damage is to the pallet. Hang in there. Things have to get better.

It's stories like yours that keep me from having machines shipped. The only one I've had shipped so far was a Grizzly jointer. Fortunately it came undamaged. When I bought my SawStop the dealer set it up and checked it all out before he delivered it to my home. All my other tool machines have been purchased at brick & mortar stores and I brought them home in my van.

Rod Sheridan
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Dan, the machine is probably fine, sounds like they put the MM crate on a pallet, which failed.

Often the crates are narrower than a pallet truck, but fine for a lift truck of course. Then the crate gets put on a pallet for local drop off as the truck only has a pallet truck on board.

Hang in there............Rod.

Christopher Stahl
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I've gone through a period when I received equipment and the packaging/crates were destroyed, and not just woodworking equipment. Luckily, all the equipment was undamaged. The way some of these look, it's just hard to believe nothing got damaged.

I wouldn't get too excited until you receive it and actually find damage. Not worth the worry since MM will take care of you anyway. Patience. :)

Mike Gottlieb
03-07-2009, 1:34 PM
I recently took delivery of a Hammer A3-31 J/P. Packaging was flawless - double pallet with top one made of steel angle iron supports under wood slats. Tilt indicators on all sides along with many delivery and inspection advisories. The delivery also went without problems - delivery by Roadway using liftgate truck with very helpful driver. Goodluck. I am sure MM will make everything right. They are very good when it comes to customer service.

dan lemkin
03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Here are pics of the Mini-Max FS35. It fell over on the pallet.

For all those who where commenting about Grizzly's crating, and the inadequacy of their preparation in my saga about the G0634 (myself included)... Please feel free to flame this ridiculous shipping prep.

An 800+ lb machine, on a non-reinforced pallet. NO CRATE AT ALL!!!! A card board box was draped over it. Clearly, my previous assumption that you get what you pay for was mistaken. It was refused before it got off the truck.

I called MM and was told they need to check with management before sending me out another one...

I am beyond angry.

Bruce Page
03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Maybe you should just take up knitting. It would be pretty hard to screw up knitting needles! :D

Paul B. Cresti
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Dan,
To me that looks like shipper issues...I have received A LOT of MM machinery and parts over the years and I only had one issue of a part letting loose of its crate. I did have a handwheel damaged on one machine but that was clearly damaged through the box by shipper, it got replaced and it works fine.

Just playing devels advocate here so....did you check the machine itself for damage? It almost seems as if it came to you in that truck on its side? is that correct?

Paul B. Cresti
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
forgot one thing all machines I have recieved were bolted/clipped down to their pallet in the upright position ...it certainly seems as if it were dropped by the shipper in this case

dan lemkin
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
it IS on it's side.

There is no crate, no visible bolts or mounting to the pallet. No create floor. No bracing, no straps, no crate at all... just a machine sitting on a pallet with a card board box draped over it.

keith ouellette
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
You ordered a precision machine. Don't take it. Trust me. Once you take it you could have a big problem.

I would not only send it back but I would mark it in some secret way to know if they repackaged the same machine and sent it to you agaain. I don't care how good a companies rep is they can afford to piss someone off once in a while and it won't damage their overall reputation.

I know I sound paranoid but its not without reason. Good reason.

(by the way. I'm giving you good advice even though I know you are out to get me. Just kidding)

Ben Franz
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I can sympathise with your anger. If you paid by credit card, call your card company to dispute the charge and follow up in writing. Then tell MM that they can pick up the damaged saw at your convenience. There's no excuse for this type of treatment - they have probably lost several potential customers through this thread. Good luck.

Paul B. Cresti
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
If that is the case then definately it was dropped. Liek I said all machines I have gotten were bolted to a pallet securely, all contents were strapped down and then the entire pallet was covered in a heavy duty cardboard box. The machines I have recieved varied from 800 to 2000lbs and the largest crate was around 8ft x 4ft and that shipment also include a 11ft x 2ft box...

dan lemkin
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh.... I refused delivery... It never got off the truck, it is on its way back to GA. I just don't expect to wait even longer before they ship out a replacement. This one is NOT coming back.... I left a message for the president of minimax usa... waiting to see if he calls back.

If I don't hear anything soon, I will request a refund pending re-shipment.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-09-2009, 11:50 AM
You must have someone who does not like you at the shipping depot. Looks to me like they dropped it, picked it back up, and put the pieces on a different pallet. Probably tossed the old pallet. Ridiculous. Too bad too, thats a sweet machine they broke. Keep us posted on how Mini Max takes care of it.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Dan,

I can understand your anger but...this is most likely a shipper issue and not an issue with MM.

I received a MM-16 last year. First it was bolted to a pallet. Then the pallet and b/s were picked up and placed on another pallet. The first pallet was screwed to the 2nd pallet and a crate was built around the entire machine. Then everything was banded several times to the second pallet. I find it doubtful that MM shipped your machine in inadequate crate etc.

Based on this and your previous experience with another company, I suspect you are experiencing serious shippers damage. I would be venting to the trucking company and not the company who manufactured and shipped it. From what I've seen from your posts so far, I think if you enclosed a tank in a crate the shippers would find some way to destroy it.

dan lemkin
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
This was a completely different shipper. R+L vs UPS.

I will find out from MM how they prepare the devices for shipment and report it here. From what I saw, there was little evidence of reinforcement.

Rob Damon
03-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Of the almost twenty large tools I have taken delivery of, it seems that many of them come on pallets that are only designed for fork lift access and not pallet jack access.

A few that were shipped from the factory with a lower fork lift only style pallets, were re-palleted on top a regular size pallet jack size crate by the shipper in order to aid in delivery.

In variably the small pallets designed for fork lift access only, have almost always come damaged or on the verge of collapse and the ones coming on a regular pallet have all come in perfect condition.

The tool may have fallen on its side when someone tried to lean it over to put a pallet jack under it.

Most of the damage to the tools seem to have been around the base, victims of wayward forklift drivers have the forks raised too high when trying to load up the pallet onto the folks.

Most have come well packed and crated. The only exception was the PM panelsaw that only had a cardboard cover that went half way up the panelsaw, leaving the top 36" of the saw frame exposed to the world. Since it is built in the USA, it doesn't take the slow boat from China and thus, they don't see the need for heavy packing. By the time it arrived at the house, the cardboard was just barely hanging on, and was removed by the driver and my self on the lift gate.

The 18" Steel City Bandsaw had G-force-shock stickers on the outside of the crate to detect damage (falling over). Two had been removed and one was still on it. The base was dinged by a fork lift. But it works fine.

Rob

glenn bradley
03-09-2009, 12:34 PM
it IS on it's side.

There is no crate, no visible bolts or mounting to the pallet. No create floor. No bracing, no straps, no crate at all... just a machine sitting on a pallet with a card board box draped over it.

That's gotta be a re-pack by the shipper. I find it hard to believe the machine started it's journey like that. Let's all think good thoughts and sprinkle pixie dust for Dan. The shipping world is against him.

Christopher Stahl
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I think Steve and others are right, it looks like they beat the heck out of it lifting it onto another pallet after destroying the original packaging. I don't believe this is MM's fault at all. I can understand your initial reaction about MM because it's human nature, but I wouldn't cancel your order just yet. The shipper destroyed a nice piece of equipment. Very sad.:mad:

Steve Clardy
03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Mine came by FedEx tailgate delivery.
It was standing up on 1 pallet, with 1 banding strap holding it too the pallet.
I was a tad shocked to see that when the driver opened the trailer doors.
Somehow it survived the trip without falling over.

I'm not complaining though. :D

Chris Padilla
03-09-2009, 3:23 PM
My FS41-Elite arrive about like yours, Dan, except right-side up. :) Everything was bolted to the crate and all other items (guard and other items) where all bubble-wraped and taped well to keep them from shifting.

I just don't understand what the heck these folks driving forklifts are doing...very frustrating and sorry for your troubles. :(

Greg Crawford
03-09-2009, 7:55 PM
I just don't understand what the heck these folks driving forklifts are doing...very frustrating and sorry for your troubles.

They were trained as baggage handlers, took bribes from Samsonite.

Paul Ryan
03-09-2009, 8:35 PM
Dan,

I think it is safe to say it is not the truck drivers, it is not the fork lift operators, and it is obviously not the manufactures causing these problems. It has to be you.

I feel for you, I would be irate also. You are the most unlucky person I have heard about in a long time. Sit back this weekend and self medicate with some barley. What else can you do. Sooner or later those "people" working in the freight termianls around your area may deliver a decent machine to you.

David Winer
03-09-2009, 8:44 PM
Dan, I have had shipping damage to an MM machine too (bandsaw). On delivery the crate itself had some obvious breaks Questioning the driver, he had had a collision with a car on the way to my house. The tool appeared o.k., so I took it. After un-crating and inspection there was one problem--a rail was bent.

Here is the part of the story you should like: I called my salesman at MiniMax and he had a replacement sent immediately. This was entirely the shipper's fault, but MM fixed the problem.

That crate had a lot of wood in it. I used some of the boards to make my wife a large compost sifter.

Jay Brewer
03-09-2009, 8:56 PM
I really feel sorry for you Dan. What I find funny is no one has commented on the beloved Mini Max packaging. The Min Max cost 3 times more than the Grizzly you tried to buy several times and looks to be packaged about the same.

A cardboard box??? Are you kidding me?? I would expect more. My 2 euro machines arrived encased in plywood and 2x4's, took a sawzall and crow bar to get it out.

I know you can build a solid steel box around something and the wrong guy on a forklift can ruin it, but a cardboard box? They cant do better?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2009, 9:06 PM
Uh Jay....You don't know that what he showed photos of was MM packaging. It might have been but....It could just have been stuff provided by the trucking company.

Hey folks....I would almost guarrantee that MM didn't put that machine ON IT'S SIDE on that pallet as it is in the photo. Someone in the course of transporting it damaged it.

I'm fighting with a major carrier right now over shipping damage. I sent a Jet 1014VS and a 26" bed extension to a fellow Creeker as a Pay It Forward. I screwed and glued 3/4" plywood reinforcements to a piece of 5/8" plywood cut to fit a double walled box. The lathe and the bed extension were screwed to the plywood reinoforcements. The tool rest, the banjo and the tailstock were removed and screwed using ty-wraps to the reinforcements. When it arrived at Colorado Springs, CO...everything had busted loose from the plywood and reinforcements. The screws were sheared....ty-wraps busted.....holes punched in the double-walled box by the lathe and the bed extension.

Shipping damage.....

Jim Becker
03-09-2009, 9:06 PM
Jay, the point that some have made and I'll add again myself, is that the packaging/pallet that the OP received doesn't reflect the way that MM normally ships these machines in our experience. I, too, needed to practically use power tools to get my MM slider un-crated and off it's heavy pallet. My MM J/P was packaged similarly when it arrived at the show I picked it up from, although I didn't take that packaging home with me. What I see in the OP's pictures seems to be a shipper's feeble attempt at covering up a "problem". I will, of course, suggest that it is "possible" that the original packaging was not up to what many of us have experienced, but something bothers me about the pictures the OP has shared. 800lb machines lifted propertly, even if someone inadvertantly didn't bolt them down to the pallet properly, shouldn't flip over like that. Someone got major rough with it!

Jay Brewer
03-09-2009, 9:29 PM
Ken and Jim, I agree, this is 100% shipping damage, and I have also bought enough machinery to know that they don't ship it on its side. If your are saying that Mini Max wouldn't ship on a pallet with a cardboard box stapled around it, than I apologize.

Chris Ricker
03-09-2009, 10:28 PM
on the bright side, Dan may have coined a new term.
whenever any of us receives a delivery which has been damaged in transit,

We can say it's been "Lemkined":o

Peter Gregory
03-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a "few" tools that have arrived by pallet. :) Each of them was bolted to the pallet. I have had crushed pallets, cracked pallets, outside parts bent, etc, etc, but fallen over? Really unlikely.

You sure that MM remembered to bolt that big boy to the pallet? I don't see it in the pictures. I'm expecting at least 1 big metal thing per leg that is bolted/multi-screwed down. Did I miss it in the pictures or explanations?

Sorry for your loss. What a bummer.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Jay....I don't know if that's how MM does it or not for that particular machine. My $3,100 lathe came on a single 6' long pallet.....cardboard box attached to the pallet. 800 lbs.... Everything was okay. But then...the Woodcraft dealer in Spokane delivered it into my shop on his pallet jack. He and his wife drove it down here on a trailer behind his pickup.

dan lemkin
03-10-2009, 12:28 AM
I am a *(&$ - magnet at work as well.... it seems that whenever I work, crashing and burning people come in.... heart attacks, strokes, cardiac arrests, gunshots, stabbings, airway obstructions... My peers make fun of me also....
On more than one occasion, an Indian doc I work with has offered to have a tribal priest he knows - exorcise the demons out of me.... maybe I will take him up on his offer..:eek:

Roger Savatteri
03-10-2009, 1:49 AM
When you "do" speak to the president, considering all the hassle you've gone though - perhaps "the next time" you should request that several photos be taken of your "package" before it leaves their dock and have them email them to you. At least next time you'll have something to compare to - the way you receive it.

And, knowing that it's being photographed, they might put a little more TLC into the crating.

It might take a big bite out of the "curse" that's lurking around your deliveries.

dan lemkin
03-10-2009, 1:20 PM
I got a call from MM logistics today. They said that their machines are normally bolted to the pallet and then covered... So it looks like the mounting broke free, but otherwise this was their standard prep. Based on the manner in which freight companies seem to treat these machines, I am disappointed in how sparse the crating is... As mentioned in other threads of mine, It would cost a negligible amount to make a rigid, enclosed crate with a stable floor and good restraining bolts or straps. Seems like a reasonable measure. As they can't fix the quality of the shipping companies, they could mitigate damage by making the crates bomber proof.... and alleviate frustration on their end, and on behalf of their customers. In all of my cases... a better crate would have likely prevented damage. Even the tip-over is less likely with a full size crate base - spreading the load.

They suspected based on the pictures that the freight company didn't secure the load and because it is so top heavy, it dumped while in the truck. Once it goes down, it is toast.

I asked about tip-over monitors, and they said for the bigger machines it is not worth it, as a tip-over causes so much damage, it can not be hidden.

They are going to reinforce the JP on a double pallet as described in earlier posts which will provide a more stable base-- as above.

I had an interesting philosophical discussion with them regarding freight companies... She noted that they seem to have many more problems in the Northeast... The further north, the worse it gets. She threw out a guess at the number damaged in transit at: 1/30 or 3.3% which is about what Shiraz had estimated at 2%.

Scratching my head... I really don't understand how these shipping companies can afford to handle freight in this manner. So far, they have racked up $12,000 in broken equipment claims for my deliveries. MM noted, that with the pictures provided and an assessment of the damage upon return, the shippers have a hard time refuting the claims and usually just cut a check. She also noted, that UPS is much better to deal with in-terms of dealing with damage claims, after the fact... R+L is the carrier that dumped this device, they are shipping #2 (note I don't say final) via Old Dominion

So lessons learned:
1) Shipping companies appear to staff some folks with very poor work-ethic or intellect.
2) Always take lots of pictures, from the time they pull up - get the truck, get the driver, make sure they smile:D
3) If you see you machine laying on it's side, or upside down (another story they shared with me)... try not to laugh too loud as they drive away with the refusal.

In regard to:

on the bright side, Dan may have coined a new term.
whenever any of us receives a delivery which has been damaged in transit,

We can say it's been "Lemkined":oI suggest an alternative... An un-solicited nickname I received in residency was "Lumpy"... As it seems a fitting metaphor for these freight issues... I would suggest a "Lumpy Load". I also felt it appropriate to replace my avatar to reflect the content of my many threads...;)

Chris Padilla
03-10-2009, 2:27 PM
I think 'lemkined" is here to stay.... ;)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-10-2009, 2:59 PM
I'll cast my vote on your new avatar Dan, that photo was made for you.

Jay Brewer
03-10-2009, 4:22 PM
Love the aviator Dan, fits your situation perfectly.

Dan Gonzales
03-10-2009, 4:28 PM
Before I was layed off I ran a data center that runs computer and data storage equipment that can cost from thousands to millions of dollars. All of it has come in cardboard wrapping, shipped or otherwise. The big stuff was bolted to a pallet, custom boxed in cardboard and some straps over the top. The loads with multiple servers on them were typical styrofoam blocked cardboard boxes plastic wrapped to the pallet. And sometimes they would come in damaged.

The majority of the damage was caused by a lift fork right through the box. Even plywood won't stop a 2 ton lift running at speed with all of its inertia focused on a 4 inch wide steel skewer.

Tipping over is sure death for any computer equipment that comes in an upright cabinet. When something tipped over it was because someone got lazy and didn't secure the load. That can be the driver's or loader's fault. But it is the driver's responsibility to make certain their load is secure.

And don't get me started on the inbred mouth breathers that UPS/FEDEX/DHL must hire at their transfer centers!

Dan G
------------
Whittier, CA

Rob Damon
03-10-2009, 4:30 PM
dan lemkin:
R+L is the carrier that dumped this device, they are shipping #2 (note I don't say final) via Old Dominion

ODFL delivered a PM Molder last month for me and inspite of the fact that PM forgot to bolt it down to the pallet, it showed up in great condition. Hope they do a great as job for you.

Rob

Greg Pavlov
03-10-2009, 4:48 PM
I got a call from MM logistics today. They said that their machines are normally bolted to the pallet and then covered... So it looks like the mounting broke free, but otherwise this was their standard prep. Based on the manner in which freight companies seem to treat these machines, I am disappointed in how sparse the crating is... As mentioned in other threads of mine, It would cost a negligible amount to make a rigid, enclosed crate with a stable floor and good restraining bolts or straps. ...;)
I assume that this machine is imported. What happens if customs wants to check the shipment?

Greg Pavlov
03-10-2009, 4:52 PM
Before I was layed off I ran a data center that runs computer and data storage equipment that can cost from thousands to millions of dollars. All of it has come in cardboard wrapping, shipped or otherwise. The big stuff was bolted to a pallet, custom boxed in cardboard and some straps over the top. The loads with multiple servers on them were typical styrofoam blocked cardboard boxes plastic wrapped to the pallet. And sometimes they would come in damaged.....
Sounds familiar. One major exception has been Fujitsu: the SAN units they sent us were crated in wood, but Fujitsu's computer people seem to have "prevention is worth a pound of cure" as their primary motto/operating philosophy.

Myk Rian
03-10-2009, 5:03 PM
My Steel City TS came bolted to a surrounding, welded 1" square tube outer crate, bolted to a steel base. Secure as all get out. I didn't know what to do with the crate so I took it back to the store I bought it from.

Scott Vigder
03-10-2009, 5:05 PM
I need a beer.

Beer, shoot, you need a shot! Make it a double.

Rob Cooper
03-10-2009, 5:57 PM
When you do finally get an undamaged machine set up, DO NOT MOVE IT! Set it in concrete. If you outgrow your house, add on but do not move for the sake of your machines and sanity. If you eventually have to move keep the current house as a shop.:D

Bob Luciano
03-10-2009, 8:40 PM
Jay in the original post Dan mentioned the shipping company destroyed the original pallet and packaging. Really no telling how it was attached or not attached to the original pallet

guy knight
03-11-2009, 12:17 AM
i ordered a mm20 when it arrived it was in good shape crate was undamaged and everything was packed well driver took off i got my camera to take a couple of pics when i noticed the crate said mm16 on it and a white tag said mm16 and sure enough the bandsaw said mm16 i called up mm they had the order right they called the shipper who picked it back up that day this was friday come monday they had figured out what had happened they had shipped 2 saws to this city on the same day one mm16 and my mm20 the shipper tagged them wrong and the other saw was picked up at the dock when they got a hold of the other guy he had already set it up so instead of having me take a used saw they sent another this all took just a couple of days when the new saw arrived it had shipping damage from the shipper nothing major just a few paint chips and all of the parts were missing they expressed shiped them out at no time was it there fault but they bent over backwards and made it right with no hasseles that is customer service

dan lemkin
03-11-2009, 4:34 AM
can anyone with a FS35 or FS41 comment on how the mobile base works. From the brief glimpse I saw on the truck, only one side has wheels... Are you supposed to lift the other end to move it around?

Sounds like a disc herniation in the making...

Chris Padilla
03-11-2009, 9:30 AM
can anyone with a FS35 or FS41 comment on how the mobile base works. From the brief glimpse I saw on the truck, only one side has wheels... Are you supposed to lift the other end to move it around?

Sounds like a disc herniation in the making...

Both sides have wheels that you can adjust the "depth setting" for using the locking lever arms.

Both sides have a place to secure the tommy bar to in order to move it around. If you have a badly out of flat floor, it could get hung up in certain places. The expansion grooves in my garage floor are a classic place that I can get stuck in. The other spot is where the garage floor meets the driveway.

I look forward one day to a flat shop floor! :)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2009, 2:50 PM
I look forward one day to a flat shop floor! :)

Wouldn't that be nice, one corner of my combo machine requires an extra 1" of shims under it to even touch the floor!

Jim Becker
03-11-2009, 4:49 PM
can anyone with a FS35 or FS41 comment on how the mobile base works. From the brief glimpse I saw on the truck, only one side has wheels... Are you supposed to lift the other end to move it around? .

Chris mostly explained it but to move the J/P your sequence is as follows:

Lift the end with the wheels with the included Tommy bar (it also has a wheel on it you'll notice
Lower and lock the mobility wheels
Move the Tommy bar to the other side and lift...you now have three wheels on the ground and can maneuver the whole machine like a pallet jack
Once you have it where you want it, reverse the sequence.

dan lemkin
03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Is 6th time a charm?

MM when stapling crate, drove 2" staples through wooden reinforcement of cardboard crate and right into the table fingers... gouging them about 1/16" deep

I called MM and was told these are aluminum and not a big deal to change out... We will see.

If you look at the crate... This is TOTALLY NOT WHAT SHOWED UP LAST WEEK.... The shippers killed the original crate. It had white plastic stapled guides which kept it in place. THe cardboard was stapled around the pallet and banded. THe second pallet they added was wider, made of 2x10s and steel banded to the whole thing. Seeing how it is supposed to look makes me really wonder about how R+L treated the last one.

Bruce Page
03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Dan, after all that you have been through, I think I’d work around the nicked alum fingers (if that’s the only issue).

Congratulations! Go make some chips!

Paul Ryan
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
We'll see is right Dan. Considering your luck I would believe that to be very, very, very minor. Now lets just see if the new table fingers arrive undamaged??????? Sorry if I Jinxed you!!

Chris Padilla
03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Dan,

Those are, actually, a piece of cake to replace. I think you're good to go! Now start smiling and tell me how long it takes you turn on the machine WITHOUT looking at the directions! LOL....

Todd Solomon
03-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Is 6th time a charm?

MM when stapling crate, drove 2" staples through wooden reinforcement of cardboard crate and right into the table fingers... gouging them about 1/16" deep

I called MM and was told these are aluminum and not a big deal to change out... We will see.

Dan,

You're an inspiration to me- what perserverence!!!!

Glad it looks like you're almost there. You're gonna love that machine- the utter lack of snipe, the Tersa cutterhead, that wiiiiiiide width jointing and planing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it cuts as well as mine did.

-Todd

PS- Just so you know you weren't the only one that had some bad luck with MM's shipping / shippers, I too was there. My sliding table saw had broken loose from the pallet, and the end of the 8' slider knocked a hole in the side of the crate. It was hanging out in the breeze about a foot, but almost no damage! Just some insignificant knicks. Once I fired it up, all was forgotten as that baby cut perfectly. I'm hoping your experience will be the same.

dan lemkin
03-13-2009, 6:09 PM
Hi all FS owners... I have a bunch of questions...

I think you're good to go! Now start smiling and tell me how long it takes you turn on the machine WITHOUT looking at the directions! LOL....

OMG... the directions really suck... pretty much uninterpretable... even the english version.

1) The table grinding is scalloped. It is totally uniform, so I suspect it is intentional, but there are very palpable ridges when you run your fingers over the tables... is this intentional?

2) How does the euro guard mount to the side of the outfeed table. the screws don't thread into the table and there are no nuts...

3) In the mean time... how do you keep the porkchop on when you raise the tables. If you pull the fence out until it locks in place, it hits the porkchop screw before it reaches end of fence travel... so you need to raise the outfeed table a bit before pulling the fence all the way out. A bit awkward

4) Also, how do you calibrate the digital height... it is off 1/16"

5) when turning off, is the only way to hit the emerg off button and then reset it?

6) The dust ports are 4 1/2.... any recommendations on adapters?

Otherwise it is clean, Boeshielded and tested... it purrrrs...

7) a technique issue... I tested a really warped piece of zebrawood... there was a fair amount of tearout. (using chrome blades that came with it) Also, when jointing the edge, there was bumpy scalloping... It got better when I slowed down... but i really wasn't going that fast. Any recommendations?

thanks
dan

Steve Rozmiarek
03-13-2009, 6:32 PM
Dan, I own an Austrian machine, not Italian, so I can't help you with the whole list, but DC adapters are easily sourced from Onieda. It's probably a metric size, Felders are. The rougher surface grinding is to reduce friction, kind of like a corrigated sole on a handplane, and the as for the tecnique issue, can you speed up your cutterhead? If I forget to dial mine back up to speed after mortising, it leaves a nasty finish.

Bruce Page
03-13-2009, 6:47 PM
Dan, I can only help with question 1.
Yes, it is intentional and actually the preferred surface in wood working machinery. It’s maybe not as purty as a ground surface but it's just as true. You will notice significantly less effort when pushing a board across it’s surface. Most, if not all high end machines are made this way.
It is also more costly to produce.