PDA

View Full Version : Glass Crystal Dice

Peter Meacham
03-06-2009, 2:29 PM
I am making a pair of dice from 2" crystal glass cubes from Marco (product CRY91) for a trophy.

Any suggestions on how to darken (paint) the spots after lasering them? They really don't show up too well without darkening them somehow.

I tried some black Pro Laser Fill from Laserbits, but I guess because the glass is not porous, the fill did not really stick to the glass and make much difference in the appearance.

Should the steps be (1) Mask, (2) engrave, (3) paint. If so, what mask and paint would you use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pete

Dan Hintz
03-06-2009, 4:34 PM
Laser fill isn't appropriate for glass, as you found out... it's meant for woods and the like. If it were me, I'd use the gold standard around here, transfer tape, as your masking agent (though painter's tape works just fine when it's sitting nearby). For speed, I'd use a couple of coats of gloss black acrylic spray paint, and if durability were a concern I'd hand-fill some thicker oil-based paint.

Bill Cunningham
03-10-2009, 8:04 PM
Model airplane enamel will work fine.. laser though a mask, and use a fine brush to apply the paint.. Or, spray a spot on some wax paper with krylon fusion, and use a small brush to pick it up from the waxpaper pallet. it 'really' sticks to glass..

Guy Hilliard
03-10-2009, 8:14 PM
Rub n Buff works great for colouring engraved glass.

Peter Meacham
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks to all for your inputs - I will try one or more of the idea - thanks again.