PDA

View Full Version : Embedded Steel Plate for Router Surface?

Steve H Graham
03-06-2009, 1:59 PM
I just had a nutty idea, and I wanted to see what people think.

I have a very big extension on my table saw, with a router plate in the far end. I have been all upset because I can't use magnetic accessories with the router. The table is particle board.

It just occurred to me that I could rout out an area near the router plate and sink a cheap piece of 1/8" steel into it, on top of leveling set screws. I could add four countersunk screws into the particle board to hold the steel down. The table under the plate would only lose 1/4" in thickness, so it would still be stiff. It's over an inch thick.

Good idea, or completely crazy? I'm assuming the local metal places can provide steel plate that is nice and flat.

Chip Lindley
03-06-2009, 2:16 PM
Do you already have the magnetic accessories? If so, I can see your *want-to*! But IF NOT, with all the routing and drilling needed to add a steel plate, why not just drill your table for threaded inserts and use traditional hold-down clamps/featherboards, etc.

I have a primordial fear (perhaps unfounded, but a FEAR nevertheless) than some magnetic hold-down will SLIP under heavy pressure, at a crucial point and RUIN my work! With hold-downs that screw-in, I sleep much better at night!

Steve H Graham
03-06-2009, 3:43 PM
Well, I like magnetic featherboards for the table saw and bandsaw, so it would be nice to use them for the router, too.

Chris Tsutsui
03-06-2009, 4:58 PM
If you use a 1/8" thick steel plate, I'm not sure if the magnetic bond will be strong enough than if you had a cast iron table.

Steve H Graham
03-06-2009, 6:34 PM
I have some 1/8" angle iron, so I can find out.

glenn bradley
03-06-2009, 6:56 PM
The flatness of the non-machined steel surface is what I would wonder about.

Jim Mattheiss
03-06-2009, 9:39 PM
I don't think there should be any worry about magnetic featherboard sticking ot 1/8 inch steel.

I have a magnetic feather board and it sticks JUST FINE to the stamped steel wing of my Jet Contractor saw. It even sticks when 1 magnet is on one of the "embossings" and the other isn't. I don't think that the wings on my saw are 1/8".

I do understand Chip's primordial concern about it slipping in use but it hasn't been a problem for me yet.

I'd get the magswitch universal "fingers on both sides" but I have other shop things on the list ahead of it right now. Like a good dado blade.

Cheers

Jim

Jeff Willard
03-07-2009, 8:37 AM
Lee Valley sells a steel router table top. IIRC it is 24" in width, and crowned toward the center, to compensate for sag due to the weight of the router. A frame could be constructed to hold the top and fit between the fence rails.

keith ouellette
03-07-2009, 8:51 AM
I had a similar idea. I have the table from a old small craftsman table saw and was wondering about using it for a router plate.

I think it would make a good one. Maybe you can look for a small surplus saw that doesn't work anymore or a cheap $50 one. it would be flatter than a stock steel square and would make the magnet hold strong.

I don't know what you would do about the concentric rings for the different size bits though.

Steve H Graham
03-07-2009, 9:50 AM
I wasn't planning to have the router go through it. I have an aluminum router plate. No ring change needed.

The obvious problem with the idea is that I wouldn't be able to use magnetic items close to the bit, but people with T-tracks have the same issue.