PDA

View Full Version : First segmented bowl

John Beaver
03-06-2009, 1:49 PM
I've been working my way up to this. I kept it simple and there is only one joint that is not perfect - it's amazing the precision required - I've already told my wife I need a disc sander for my birthday. Lining the segments up is more challenging then I anticipated also. I really enjoyed this process and hope to make some more complicated ones soon.

The bowl is 10 inches diameter with 3/8 inch walls. The wood is some scrap cherry and wenge I had laying around. The finish is 3 coats of Danish oil and 2 coats of watco wax.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Rick Prosser
03-06-2009, 1:53 PM
Looks great!
Not perfect huh...Oh well, maybe next time ;).

Still waiting to try segmented work - got plenty to learn with basics yet.

alex carey
03-06-2009, 1:59 PM
nice bowl, segmenting is tough, very impressive for your first time. The colors work well.

Alan Trout
03-06-2009, 2:00 PM
John very nice, Great work.

Alan

curtis rosche
03-06-2009, 2:09 PM
looks nice, just turn that one joint away from veiw. did you do this in rings, or is this one of those bowls from malcolms book, where you cut it out on the bandsaw?

steven carter
03-06-2009, 2:51 PM
John,

I reallly like this bowl! If we could all make one as well on our first try I would bet that a lot of us would be making one right now.

Steve

Jack Giovo
03-06-2009, 3:36 PM
I like the bowl also it looks great and the workmanship is awesome:D

Good job and keep going - sounds like a great peice from scrap - the += 0 dollars invested just time.

Great work
Jack

Larry Marley
03-06-2009, 3:51 PM
that's really nice John

Mike Spanbauer
03-06-2009, 3:53 PM
Well done :) Segmented turning is what attracted me to the lathe in the first place. I'm not there yet, but working up to it. If my first piece is as nice, I'll be very pleased.

mike

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2009, 4:30 PM
Very impressive work John! Beautiful wood combination and I really like your design! Nice work - keep it up!

Mike Golka
03-06-2009, 5:25 PM
Looks great, and only your first you say? Segmenting's a kick ain't it!!

Bob Vavricka
03-06-2009, 5:35 PM
John,
I really like it--I haven't tried any segmented work yet, but it looks like a lot of work. I'll add it to my list of things to do. So much to try--so little time.
Bob V.

David Christopher
03-06-2009, 5:41 PM
John, I think everyone has sumed it up and I agree it is a beautiful bowl

Jeff Nicol
03-06-2009, 5:50 PM
John, The segmented bowl is on my list of things to try. Yours looks very nice and you are on your way to greatness!

Keep at it,

Jeff

Paul Douglass
03-06-2009, 8:25 PM
Even after reading "the book" I'm still to awed to give it a try. Very nice work. Next time take pictures as you go through the process. Great job.

Jeff Luedloff
03-06-2009, 10:09 PM
John that is a awesome bowl, i have not try one yet but hope to soon ..

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2009, 10:19 PM
That is a beauty. Very impressive for your first one.

Richard Madison
03-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Great looking first piece John. Alignment looks just about perfect. If you sand half rings before gluing to full rings, mark the glue joints and keep them all pointed in the same general direction as you build the piece. Helps keep your alignment nearly perfect.

Dean Thomas
03-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Good looking piece. Contrast with the woods is great. I love the weave in the lower layers. Love the shape. From what we can see in the picture, it looks like the mechanics are solid and the joints are well-accomplished.

I do have a question about one aspect of the piece. The lower layers all used side grain, but the top layer used face grain. Were you making an artistic statement that I'm not "getting"?

Even with that, it's still a lovely piece and will be welcomed with open arms and big grins wherever it goes.

Ron Bontz
03-07-2009, 2:43 PM
Nice bowl. I was wondering what glue you used.

John Beaver
03-07-2009, 3:18 PM
Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback and tips. Everyone here is so encouraging.

Ron Blontz - I used Titebond Original glue.

Dean Thomas - the grain is not an artistic statement, I used scrap wood for this, and ran out of the first piece, so that's all the cherry I had left. Next time I intend to pay more attention to the grain. I'm still learning what square grain will look like when turned.

Curtis Rosche - I assembled the rings and then stacked them one at a time. I think that's what you mean ? I don't have a disc sander (yet), so I built half rings and squared the halfs on a miter saw

Dave Bureau
03-07-2009, 4:00 PM
Nice job John. if your are going to be doing a lot of segmenting I suggest you get malcoms book and videos. they have so much information in them that they are almost a must have. IMHO its money well spent.

Dewey Torres
03-07-2009, 4:54 PM
+1 on Malcom's book!