PDA

View Full Version : FWW "Essential shopmade jigs"

dennis thompson
03-06-2009, 1:40 PM
FWW has a new book out called "Essential shopmade jigs" it looks interesting but I'm wondering if it's just a compilation of what has aready appeared in the magazine (which I subscribe to) Any Thoughts?
Thanks
Dennis

Eric DeSilva
03-06-2009, 2:01 PM
Aren't all of their books just compilations of articles?

Tom Veatch
03-06-2009, 2:04 PM
Dennis,

Just a thought. I don't subscribe to FWW, but other mags do similar things, compile a bunch of previously published things into a single publication. I find those useful, even though they are reruns, so to speak. Reason being, I never build everything shown in every issue, but may remember seeing something "awhile back" that would be useful now.

Without the compilation, or at least a pretty detailed index to past issues, it's sometimes a pain in the nether regions to find something that "I know I saw that somewhere". So, depending on the cost, I tend to look with favor on those types of publications simply because they concentrate like items in a single place.

YMMV.

Chip Lindley
03-06-2009, 2:27 PM
Those of us who have EVERY issue of FWW, ( at least thru the early 2000s) suffer disappointment at the continual *compilations*, when NEW useful information would be welcomed before we are too senile to enjoy remembering we saw it!

By the time one has had an interest in WW for 30 years, we've seen, heard, or done about 95% of all to be experienced in the craft. Almost everything becomes a rehash! (especially another treatise on hand-cutting dovetails!)

FFW's new DVD with every issue has (almost) all of their articles and *how-to's* save for a few that could not be reprinted because of legal glitches. I find it *wayyFAST* to do a search for *that article I remember I saw*! I surely wish WoodSmith and Wood mags would issue their all-time DVDs!!!

The compilation books are great for newcomers who are seeking new information for the first time! But for us *old-timers* the continual juggling and rehash of information by publishers makes me wonder if the WW body of knowledge has reached it's Zenith!

These forums are exceptionally useful to pick the brains of a huge cross-section of woodworkers when specific problems are encountered. Of course, we must separate the Wheat from the Chaff! haha! But, the useful information to be gleaned here is Priceless! A NEW Dimension in my own WW Body of Knowledge!

Brent Smith
03-06-2009, 4:06 PM
Hi Dennis,

If it's what I think you're talking about, it's actually an upcoming magazine special issue. On the cover it states it's "the best of FWW". I find the magazine compilations to be a good deal for the price ($8.99), giving us a one stop read for info on certain subjects. They sometimes even throw in a new article or two with the rehashed stuff. I also agree with Chip though, in that it seems that everything coming our way via the mags these days has been done before, sometimes even the month before in a competing magazine!!