PDA

View Full Version : riving knife

jackl young
03-06-2009, 1:35 PM
I am using a Powermatic 66 tablesaw without any guard or riving knife,I have never had a problem with kickback as I try to use extra caution but there is always a first time. I checked with WMH and no retro kit is available for the 66. Does anyone know of a aftermarket riving kit that works?
Has anyone had any experience with any aftermarket riving kit. My saw is a 1984 model.

Thanks
Jack

Prashun Patel
03-06-2009, 2:03 PM
Google "BOLT ON RIPPING KNIFE"

Vince Shriver
03-06-2009, 2:12 PM
Biesemeyer makes a splitter with anti kick back prawl. As far as I know there is no after market riving knife (a splitter that stays below the top of the blade as you lower/raise it). It is very easy to remove (for dado and special cuts); a matter of seconds.

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2009, 2:16 PM
Item #2 is a guard.

There are many overarm guards available, I happen to have an Excalibur with a Merlin removable splitter.

The dust collection on the Excalibur is very good..........Rod.

Jason White
03-06-2009, 2:21 PM
Haven't ordered one (yet), but Lee Styron's are the best-looking I've seen.

I am using a Powermatic 66 tablesaw without any guard or riving knife,I have never had a problem with kickback as I try to use extra caution but there is always a first time. I checked with WMH and no retro kit is available for the 66. Does anyone know of a aftermarket riving kit that works?
Has anyone had any experience with any aftermarket riving kit. My saw is a 1984 model.

Thanks
Jack

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2009, 2:29 PM
What I understand from a post by Bob on Woodnet is that the **** won't work with the PM66. Not enough room for the mechanism. So a splitter is going to be the best option. Jim.