PDA

View Full Version : Lost wood vessel

Mark Placek
03-06-2009, 1:27 PM
The Lost wood turning process refers to a technique that removes a predetermined amount of wood from a turning after it comes off the lathe to transform it into a different shape; It now has an elongated oval shape like a football. I’ve seen vases that were made this way.

The wood is the most figured African mahogany I’ve ever found, and it was given to me for free.
This bowl was 18” square before I cut it; I used oak as the sacrificial wood. Now it measures: 11” wide, 18” long and 4” high

The other materials in this bowl are: Yellowheart and Corian. The finish is Tung oil and Wax.

This bowl was made using stacked ring lamination (a bowl from a board),
It has 5 layers; at 7/8" thick each. No wasted wood here, it was way to nice to turn it into sawdust.

Here’s a link that explains the “lost wood turning process” (http://www.ovwg.org/New-OVWG-Site/Techniques/Lost%20Wood%20Turning%20Process.htm)

I'm adding this one to my personal collection.
The second picture is the bottom of the bowl to show the outstanding figure.

David Christopher
03-06-2009, 1:32 PM
Mark, I didnt see the link..but that is a outstanding piece of art.and that is one of the prettiest pieces of wood Ive ever seen

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2009, 4:35 PM
Mark - you are right - that is some beautiful wood! Interesting process to change the shape of a turning! Looks pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

Barry Stratton
03-06-2009, 4:50 PM
AWESOME looking piece! :eek:

Jim Becker
03-06-2009, 5:14 PM
Oooh...I REALLY like that piece! Great design and technique.

Mike Golka
03-06-2009, 5:29 PM
Well done!! I Like it. Great grain in that wood.

Jeff Nicol
03-06-2009, 5:52 PM
Mark, It is a beauty! The artistic value of it is wonderful! The woods are perfect and the bottom picture messed with my eyes until I enlarged it!

Very Very Nice!!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Great looking piece. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Effinger
03-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Wow! Amazing wood, concept, form... I even like the corian (granite?) ends. I can see why this will be staying close to home. :)

Mark Placek
03-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Thank you for your comments,

I rarely visit Niagara Falls, but being a Spring-like day I couldn't resist.
The mist from the Falls prevented me from getting a good picture of the bowl with it in the background,
so I settled for this photo in a shelter a few hundred feet from the Falls. With natural light the curly figure really stands out.

Mark Norman
03-07-2009, 12:42 AM
I see a slot in the piece destined to drain some sort of precious oils?

I like the art. and the execution..

Dean Thomas
03-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Love the piece! The figure in the wood is amazing and the change in shape by losing the middle slice is a nifty move. David's right--outstanding. A++, sir.