PDA

View Full Version : Deep East Texas looking for a tutor

Angela Weaver
03-06-2009, 1:22 PM
Hi everyone! My husband and I just got our first lathe and I'm so happy to have found this forum. I notice there are quite a few wood turners in Texas and I'm wondering if there are any around the Lake Sam Rayburn area who wouldn't mind spending a few hours teaching some basics to a total newbie.

I've researched and we've played, watched videos on the internet on making bowls and drying our green wood, but I've never even watched a wood turner before (although my husband has a little experience, but not much) and could use a little instruction.

So far we've made 3 small baseball/anti-mugger bats, grooved a really nice candle pillar (that split when my husband left it in his hot truck), but I'd really love to turn bowls.

So if anyone out there is in the San Augustine or Sabine County area, I'd love to meet you!

Paul Douglass
03-06-2009, 1:27 PM
Can't help you tutoring but sure want to welcome you and your husband to the forum. You will get help here.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2009, 1:30 PM
Angela - Welcome to the Creek!

Hope someone comes along real soon who lives close by! Might be easier for folks if you update your location - can be done in your User CP (located in the upper left corner of the main screen), under Edit Details. Not required, just might help folks identify a location.

Also, please remember that we like photos - lots & lots of photos!

Angela Weaver
03-06-2009, 1:36 PM
Wow! What a quick response! Thanks for the howdy-do and I look forward to coming back often!

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2009, 1:44 PM
Welcome to SMC Angela. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge here. Look forward to seeing some turnings.

David Christopher
03-06-2009, 1:48 PM
Angela, welcome to the creek..you will be amazed the knowledge you will get from here and how friendly everyone is......like Steve said if you will update your location people can find you easier

Angela Weaver
03-06-2009, 1:49 PM
My husband and I plan to go out and cut some green wood this weekend and get it ready to turn. Ordering some Anchorseal today, probably keep the wood under the shed until it gets here next week. Then next weekend, we'll split the logs and Anchorseal for until we get our bowl turning part for the lathe, which will hopefully be in about 2 weeks.

Are we on the right track?

Chet Winger
03-06-2009, 4:43 PM
I sent you an email message about Lufkin TX turners. Not sure how to use this feature of the forum. It included my email and phone. Please advise if you received it. I live on Sam Rayburn Lake . Lots of turners near you.

Angela Weaver
03-06-2009, 6:10 PM
I just saw your email and I'm going to look at it right now. Thanks a bunch!

Bill Bolen
03-06-2009, 7:20 PM
Welcome Angela! Quick results for you already...Bill...

ROY DICK
03-06-2009, 8:33 PM
Welocme to the creek. If you have some latex paint use that on the ends of the wood/logs untill the anchorseal arrives.
Enjoy and stay safe.

Roy

Brian Effinger
03-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Welcome Angela (and Mr. Angela). I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into. This hobby can be very addictive. Glad you were able to find info on local turners.

Oh, and there is a motto here - if there are no pictures it didn't happen. :p I'm sure everyone would like to see pictures of your first bonkers.