PDA

View Full Version : Back to God's country!

Russell Svenningsen
07-16-2004, 2:41 PM
Well, it's happening. After living in Cincinnati for 8 years, the Svenningsen's are moving back to Minnesota! Just accepted a new teaching position in Minneapolis, and have to report on August 23rd. So, Tyler and Steve, and any other frozen woodworker's, I am looking forward to meeting you(and yours toyls :rolleyes: ), and of course, will rely heavily on your knowledge of indigenous lumber sources, tool sales, etc. :D

We've had a great time here, but with 2 small kids, it's time to live near family. Already got my name in for Vikings season tickets(it's OUR year baby!), and now we just have to sell our home, and buy one in Minn., all in 5 weeks................no problem, right? :confused:

At any rate, thanks Cincinnati, it's been great(I'll miss the chili, and Willie C., but not the humidity!), Minnesota..........here we come!

Mark J Bachler
07-16-2004, 2:47 PM
Welcome home Russell. I'm in Shell Lake Wi. About 2 hrs straight west 94 to 63 north. Like to fish walleyes???

oh yea

Go Packers.

Steven Wilson
07-16-2004, 2:54 PM
Welcome back Russell. Don't have a coronary when you check out home prices in the Twin Cities (similar to DC prices - yikes). As for woodworking related stuff, when you settle in you'll need to join the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild. Besides being a great bunch of folk's you'll get a 10% discount at Rockler and Woodcraft (non-power tools) as well as pay wholesale prices at some of the local lumber suppliers. If you turn then the Minnesota Woodturners Association is a great to belong to, and the AAW headquarters is here.

Just remember that September is the start of snow season! (earliest 1" snow fall was on September 26th).

Russell Svenningsen
07-16-2004, 3:01 PM
Welcome home Russell. I'm in Shell Lake Wi. About 2 hrs straight west 94 to 63 north. Like to fish walleyes???

oh yea

Go Packers.

I'm ignoring the Packers comment*gulp*.....but, walleyes.

I love it when you talk dirty. To me, there is not better eating fresh-water fish.

Steve,
I neraly fainted when I started looking at houses this week(just got back home last night). I will be working at St. Anthony in North Minneapolis. I'd appreciate any advice on where to look for less-ridiculously priced housing that is convenient(let's say, 30 miles?) to north Minneapolis(St. Anthony). I was SHOCKED when I saw what a house similar to what we have now fetches up yonder(we have a 1.5 Cape Cod, 3 BR, 2 Bath, finished basement, fairly big fenced yard).

How's that new machine?

Russell

Dave Moran
07-16-2004, 4:23 PM
Russell, as a non native of Cincinnati, can you explain to another non Ohio person what is the story with that spagetti that they call chili?

Dave

Dan Mages
07-16-2004, 4:31 PM
Good luck with the move!! I grew up in New Hope, and I can attest to it being a nice neighborhood thats only 10 miles west of Minneapolis. A checked Realtor.com, and you can find decent old houses in the 200-225 range in that area.

Dan

Donnie Raines
07-16-2004, 4:33 PM
Ah yes....you must be reffering to such great establisments as Skyline Chilli, Gold Start Chilli, Cincinnati Chilli and the like.

The taste is something else! In fact, you can mail order Skyline's treats via Fed Ex. We have festivals wraped around these styles of plates and tums are in the plenty then!(in fact their stock rises 30% just from this event alone).

Russ, sorry to see you leave. I just moved into Milford and was hoping to meet you sometime. Good luck with the new gig and take care.

.....do you need any "help" with the maple..... :rolleyes: ;)

Tyler Howell
07-16-2004, 5:22 PM
Russell,
Welcome Back, We have a strong support system for our teachers here (because the schools don't) and our wood workers. PM me when you get in town maybe we can help you get settled.

TJH.;)

Jerry Olexa
07-16-2004, 5:47 PM
I lived in Ohio for many years and have also traveled to Minpls mant trimes on business! My son married his college sweetheart who was also from Mnpls.I know I'm generalizing but the people of Mnpls are very nice people and very down to earth. I' think you'll enjoy your new place!1 Jerry

Dan Mages
07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
I lived in Ohio for many years and have also traveled to Minpls mant trimes on business! My son married his college sweetheart who was also from Mnpls.I know I'm generalizing but the people of Mnpls are very nice people and very down to earth. I' think you'll enjoy your new place!1 Jerry
Why thank you!! Now about those people on the St Paul side... ;)

Greg Mann
07-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Garrison Keeler has a line about the MN locale where 'all the children are above average'. Did a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters a few years ago and after meeting some of the young folks there my wife and I decided all the children were indeed above average.:)

Good luck with your move, Russ.

Greg

Tyler Howell
07-17-2004, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Jerry Olexa]I know I'm generalizing but the people of Mnpls are very nice people and very down to earth. I' think you'll enjoy your new place! 1 Jerry[/QUOTE

]Jerry I resemble that remark!!
Lot's to do and see year round:D . A big dynamic change in culture and diversity in play right now. Manybenefits from this process. It's home;)