PDA

View Full Version : Ipe flooring questions - interior application

Andy Pratt
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I have an option to get prefinished 3/4" solid ipe flooring for $2.5/sf and I'm considering purchasing it for the living room in the house I'll be moving into this summer. I have read about some issues with the flooring, but also about it's many good characteristics. I was hoping you guys could help me balance it out to see if I want it:

I've read that it doesn't perform well in low humidity environments, and is prone to cracking in that case. This will be in a relatively small room with a woodstove, do you think I'll encounter issues here?

I've heard different things about how you fix it to the floor, is it necessary to pre-drill all pilot holes for the nails used with it?

Some people have extreme reactions to it and I'm not sure what impact that will have on the construction. I've handled cumaru a little and although it irritated my skin a small amount, it wasn't anything horrible, is this wood drastically different?

I haven't seen the wood yet, is it typical for prefinished Ipe to have a thick film finish on it? I would like to avoid the thick finish as it will be difficult to repair, any recommendations here.

Thanks,
Andy

Tom Cross
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I used Ipe extensively on a covered screen porch, a deck, stairs to deck and two end tables.

First, the dust is the worst I have ever encountered. It can irritate the skin and don't breath the dust as it can cause severe lung reaction. It is really hard on carbide tools. Any carbide tool you use for a reasonable size job will need to be resharpened. Also, the splinters are like steel shards, really hurt and are hard to remove.

It is impossible to drive nails or use pneumatic nails or staples. It must be predrilled and screwed. I used #7 x 2-1/4" square drive trim head screws in the T&G planks after pre-drilling the holes. An impact driver is essential to drive the screws.

Ipe does move around quite a bit so be prepared for that. All in all, I would not use it for indoor flooring. You are in for a lot of work, worth it for outdoor but not indoor floors.

I used wormy chestnut oak on an indoor floor laid with a pneumatic stapler, real easy to do and looks fantastic. Got the T&G planks from Lowe's when they were on sale, sweet lumber - micro finish beveled T&G edges, required minimal sanding. Looked great with three coats of poly. I would do it again.